Thread: Phone Calls

User Info Menu

Default Phone Calls

I am so tired of getting phone calls that want me to refinance my house with them, or they want to buy it. Phone calls from any number of places that I've never heard of nor have done any business with. 1 says that if I want to be placed on their do not call list, press 3. I pressed 3 a year ago and I still get calls from this place 2-3 times a week. I could go on with this crap BBHUTnb.jpg but I won't.

I spent the last couple of hours on the phone with my bank and any credit card companies that I deal with. They all have that BS that says who they can give your information to, and who you can tell them not to. It appears that they give your phone # to any companies whether you say no or not.

Anyway, I just started with my bank and worked my way through all my credit cards. I told them that I'm having my phone # changed and that they are not getting the new 1. I told them that if they want or need to reach me, they will have to e-mail me. I was told that they have to have my # but I told them that they are not, under any circumstances, getting it.

I get about 20 calls a day, maybe 3 of which are people that I actually want to talk to. 1 woman said to me that they absolutely must have my #. I asked what office she was calling from and she said the Florida office. I told her that she better get 2 cans and about 1,200 miles of string because that is the only way they will be able to talk to me.

This has been going on since I bought my house. Each year there seems to be more and more till I have reached my limit. The limit was reached today.

Anyone on DC that I've talked to and has my #, I will call and give them the new # if they want it.
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 03-03-2018 at 02:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Phone Calls

Better give me it. Got an acre of prime swamp land here to sell!

all the best...

User Info Menu

I would change banks in a jiffy. I have no mortgage and haven't in 30 years. I do get the odd call about my credit cards but they are not from the banks and I report it right away so if there are scammers they get nailed or stopped. With the economy in the U.S having been pretty bad in the last few years, people take advantage of those that own something or are desperate to save their homes and are vulnerable to being conned into re-mortgaging etc. But you are a smart man to let anyone con you man.

User Info Menu

I have given my phone number to my bank and a few other places where I have investments (I did inform them if they gave away my details for any reason I would go elsewhere) and so far they have been fine.

About 20 years ago I had an unlisted phone with British Telecom. After a few years of having the number I was suddenly bombarded with sales calls. I saw on the news that BT had sold a list of all their unlisted numbers - this was obviously the reason. I contacted the company to enquire why they had given away my number, their response was 'everyone has the right to receive phone calls', I pointed out I had elected only to receive phone calls from my friends and family and was paying a premium not to have a listed number, and wanted to know when I would receive a refund now that I was effectively 'listed'. Again they regurgitated their catch phrase - but mysteriously failed to inform me of when my refund would be processed. I then asked for the home phone numbers of the BT directors, pointing out that they also have the right to receive phone calls and I would like to take the opportunity to congratulate them for this great decision. Apparently BT Directors DO NOT have the right to receive phone calls and they would not give me the numbers or attempt to answer why. I changed phone companies.

Last year I was car hunting and went online to order a couple of brochures - when filling in the details it was mandatory to provide phone numbers, although all stated they would only contact me by my preferred method (I opted for email contact). When I filled in the details I inserted a bogus phone number (enquiries at a local supermarket - they are open 24/7 so they won't be bugging someone at home). Shortly afterwards I received emails from each dealership, most of them wrote 'we tried but were unable to contact you'. Yes - every single one of them ignored my preferences and their sales staff initially opted to try to badger me by phone). If for any reason you have to fill in something online where the phone number is mandatory DON'T give your own number - they have your email and if it doesn't work out its easy to mark it as spam.

User Info Menu

I get so many calls and I don't know any of them. I have started hitting the answer button and holding it up to the radio and letting them hear some good tunes.....LOUD tunes. It seems to have slowed some of them down.

I was having a lot of the "IRS" threatening calls and I finally stopped them. One guy was telling me they issued a warrant for my arrest and would pick me up if I didn't pay some stupid amount. I finally stopped him and asked where his desk was. I told him that I WORKED for IRS and I was coming over there to his desk to personally talk to him. He hung up and the IRS calls stopped.

Take care!
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

The calls would start at 8:00 AM. I got to the point where they would wake me up and I would answer, " This better be F'n good 'cause you just took me out of a dream with Jennifer Lawrence".

The calls that say "This call may be recorded for training", I say the F word as much as possible and tell them to use this call for "training purposes".

I wonder if they do?????

User Info Menu

I have caller ID and voice mail to screen. If I don't recognize it, I don't answer it.
    I used to have a recording of a good 40 seconds of a busy signal on my answering machine.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 03-03-2018 at 03:07 PM.

User Info Menu

So do I Olimpass. Sometimes you just grab the phone when they wake you up, which, at my age, could be anytime.

User Info Menu

I changed my land phone line to internet phone and never received another call. Nobody knows my number unless I tell them.

User Info Menu

Ditch the land line.

User Info Menu

I don't know how things are in the US - but here in the UK you can register with a few free companies if you are receiving unwanted sales type calls (Telephone Preference Service and another I can't remember the name of - Silent Call Alarm or something like that), they update their lists about once a month and if you receive any unwanted cold calls after this time whoever is doing it will be fined. It works (after a month or so) everyone I know who still has a phone line in their home has registered.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Ditch the land line.
    Can't stand cell phones.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Can't stand cell phones.
    Rick the feeling is mutual I hate them to o. I have one of which I only use on the road ( in car voice activated) for emergency only. I have no plan just pay as you go.

User Info Menu

Can't believe people still have land lines.... hahaha j/k

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Can't believe people still have land lines.... hahaha j/k
    It's better than a couple of cans and a lot of string.