Thread: Famous drummer observation- opinions

User Info Menu

Default Famous drummer observation- opinions

Hi guys, just killin some time but i always wanted to ask a drummer this question.
    Im a total groove guy. I think the best drummers have a really good sense of groove/ swing such as bonham, steve gadd, jeff porcaro, simon phillips, even a,ex vanhalen,, the list goes on...
    I see so many drummers with huge drum sets and have good chops but absolutely no groove to their playing or so it seems.
    I love Neil Peart but do any of his songs( drums) have a groove or a swing? Just curious..

User Info Menu

Default Re: Famous drummer observation- opinions

Wanna hear groove and swing? Jazz drums is where it's at!!

Steve Gadd swings!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lexer View Post
    I love Neil Peart but do any of his songs( drums) have a groove or a swing?
    Yes

User Info Menu

He's rich, that should answer your question.

User Info Menu

I love Neil Peart but do any of his songs( drums) have a groove or a swing? Just curious..
    That would be a YES.

User Info Menu

Neal Peart is a great drummer in Rush,but outside of that vehicle he is mediocre.

He looked like a deer caught in headlights in Burning for Buddy and he did a session with Jeff Berlin that almost sounded like a bad polka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lXfIVeDFEQ
    Last edited by pgm554; 03-07-2018 at 09:59 AM.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
    Neal Peart is a great drummer in Rush,but outside of that vehicle he is mediocre.

He looked like a deer caught in headlights in Burning for Buddy and he did a session with Jeff Berlin that almost sounded like a bad polka.

Fully agree with this

User Info Menu

Doesn't having a "groove" really depend on the music's requirements? Can there be a Dream Theater groove?
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Doesn't having a "groove" really depend on the music's requirements? Can there be a Dream Theater groove?
    That's always been my problem with the prog genre.

Seems when ever they do hit on a nice groove or hook they only stay on it for a couple of bars. I guess the whole style is meant to wow the listener with elaborate drum fills and time signature switch ups.

all the best...

User Info Menu

"Seems when ever they do hit on a nice groove or hook they only stay on it for a couple of bars. I guess the whole style is meant to wow the listener with elaborate drum fills and time signature switch ups."

That young lady, Davikah, covers Dream Theater's stuff. She's 19 and has been playing for only 6 years. Still blows me away with her ability which would put a lot of drummers I know look like they are still doing MaMa-DaDa.

User Info Menu

Dream Theater is a great example. Tons of drumming but absolutely no steady groove. Then again, maybe that particular style of music isnt groove sounding.
    Back to Neil Peart, Awesome drummer but there are a few songs where he could have incorporated more of a groove beat in my opinion. Example, in the middle of the song “ free will “. I think Neil Peart is more known for his great fills and chops. He is one of the best, no doubt. His fills are unparalleled.
    I saw his buddy rich tribute and i thought he sounded great. Very cool. Another think about Peart, he probably has an IQ of 1,000 compared to mine which i think is under 10.
    Last edited by Lexer; 03-09-2018 at 09:46 AM.

User Info Menu

There is a reason a band like AC/DC can draw in 80,000 to shows and progressive bands can fill up a high school gymnasium at best.
    Last edited by slinky; 03-13-2018 at 03:09 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post

Yea but he got up there and played it a like a boss! That took courage.

User Info Menu

About time you showed up.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Neil reminds me of Itzhak Perlman,a virtuoso when it comes to classical,but I saw him trying to play jazz and improvise one time and it was just embarrassing.
    Some folks have the gift of swing ,others do not.
    Neil falls into the latter.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

Neil is cool but never looks like he's having much fun while playing
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I agree with previous comments about the music and song style determining the groove.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    There is a reason a band like AC/DC can draw in 80,000 to shows and progressive bands can fill up a high school gymnasium at best.
    Yes and that reason is because your average mainstream music listener is a moron and can't understand anything that has more than 3 chords and isn't in 4/4.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    Yes and that reason is because your average mainstream music listener is a moron and can't understand anything that has more than 3 chords and isn't in 4/4.
    Sometimes, yes. This is a fact that frustrates me at times. I have to stop and think about the deep rooted emotional effect that music can have on a listener. Personally, the music I listen to depends on my mood and where my head is at the time. Sometimes it’s old Willie Nelson or Hank Williams gospels, sometimes Al Stewart or Springsteen, sometimes Classical, sometimes James Taylor, Jim Crotche, Lyle Lovett or Southern Rock....they all remind me of different events, times in my life, friends I’ve lost, etc.. Simple and predictable chord structures are familiar and can appeal to the emotions people are most comfortable with. They don’t require thought or attention on the part of the listener. I have to remind myself that many of the people who show up at the gig to listen to our band want to be “lulled” into relaxation, stress relief and fun. They may go home and listen to Beethoven, but at the bar they don’t want to think, they just want to drink. So...out come the old “three chords and the truth” songs.

At the same time, some of the people are indeed morons. But I must confess, when there’s a bunch of people packed into a small bar, holding their beers up in the air and all singing along to a cheesy 3-chord song, I totally enjoy it. Especially when half of them are young, hot women, LOL
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Hi guys, just killin some time but i always wanted to ask a drummer this question.
    Im a total groove guy. I think the best drummers have a really good sense of groove/ swing such as bonham, steve gadd, jeff porcaro, simon phillips, even a,ex vanhalen,, the list goes on...
    I see so many drummers with huge drum sets and have good chops but absolutely no groove to their playing or so it seems.
    To think that drummers with large kits can't "groove" is just nuts. Usually the guys that use the larger kits do so because the band they play for writes more complex music , hence the lack of "Grooves".
    When you're creating the drum parts to La Villa Strangiato you're probably not thinking um where can I put the "Groove" in this song.......

To answer your question , do any of his songs have "Groove" (can you tell I hate that word?)
    YES they do.
    https://youtu.be/pUSpBAmSMb8
    https://youtu.be/3-Wn6iYIeG8
    https://youtu.be/2M9zvDfzr8A

There are many more.
    Last edited by NPYYZ; 07-04-2018 at 06:07 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    This is correct. AC/DC is great fun, but it is lowest common denominator. That's why the wide appeal. I like both, but prog is intellectually stimulating.
    Cut it large and kick it into place!