Thread: Help with All District audition music. What's this note?

User Info Menu

Default The Music

Snare:

Snare(Cont.):

Timpani:

The Current Main Problem:

If someone can show me or tell me some way to play these guys(The ones in the middle of the three with the decrescendo) that'd help a lot.

User Info Menu

i cant see the images.
    Got Chops?
    Freshman:Bass 3(Marching Band)
    Bass 2(Winter Drumline)[Bass Captain]

User Info Menu

You have to click the links. The images are too big to post apparently...

***Edit***
    Look it let me post finally -_-

User Info Menu

There was a system error. The pics are posting now.

User Info Menu

The triplet figures with the four notes in them, are 1/8 note tripplets, but the first 1/8 note is devided up into two 1/16th notes. So if you use the sylables trip-ple-let to count on beat you play two notes when you say Trip- and then on note for the sylable ple- and one note for the syllable -let.. Hope that answers your question and you understand my explanation. It would be easier if I could just play it for you. The sticking I would probably use for each tripplelet figure would be r-r-L-R (small letters represent the two 1/16th notes)
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

Shazane Guest

Those look similar to swiss army triplets, a triplet with a flam in place of the first 8th note, only they aren't annotated as using a flam so it must have more space in between those 16th notes, it would probably be best to use a double stroke for the 16ths, accenting the first hit, that way it wouldn't even disrupt the typical execution of a triplet. Hmm, in a way it also sort of functions as a paradiddle with a change in spacing, like the way I'd play one at a high tempo, but I cannot remember how to read tempo on here so I don't know if anything I'm saying is even applicable. Someone who actively plays from sheet music can give you better advice.

Also, TIMPANI, that takes me back.
    Last edited by Shazane; 12-08-2007 at 12:33 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Church Drummer View Post
    The sticking I would probably use for each tripplelet figure would be r-r-L-R (small letters represent the two 1/16th notes)
    And of course that depends on:
    1. How fast the song is
    2. What your individual preference is
    3. What the band director wants you to play. Sometimes they have a preference.

I agree, it would be easier if you could just hear someone play it.

User Info Menu

Well I won't see the Percussion teacher til Monday in 1st hour, and I'll ask him to clear it up for me. I was thinking something along the same lines as Church Drummer. The rr LR thing should work too. I'm just trying to get a lot of it down now.

P.S. Thanks for that SU Admin, I was trying to figure out what the heck was going on.

User Info Menu

Wow that Timpani part looks fun.

User Info Menu

Yeah the Timpani part is pretty fun, and I figured out what the notes where. I've got the piece down now pretty much. Now I just gotta play it on Monday for my Percussion Final, then in January at the audition.

User Info Menu

Long time no post for me...

This is probably coming in a little late, but who knows, maybe it'll help anyways? The way I would try to explain that to someone is to think of it as the first part of a sextuplet. Or, think of it as a group of eighth notes in 6/8 time. I personally find easier to think of those triplets in 6/8, as if they were: 1 + 2 3. It would be played exactly the same if the tempo was adjusted for 6/8 and the triplet notation was removed.

Hope that didn't further confusion!
    http://www.myspace.com/jammasterjones
    http://www.myspace.com/nervousexistence

Current Drum Setup: Sonor Force 2005 all Birch: 22" x 17.5" kick, 14" x 5" snare, 10" x 9" and 12" x 10" toms, 16" x 16" floor tom.
    Current Cymbal Setup: All cymbals are Paiste unless otherwise noted: 14" 2002 Sound Edge Hi-Hats, 18" 2002 Medium Crash, 18" Alpha Power Crash, 20" 302 Ride, 16" 502 China, 10" 502 Splash, and 12" Wuhan China.