Thread: Shell cleaning

User Info Menu

Default Shell cleaning

What products are you guys/gals using to clean your drum shells? Mine could use a good cleaning, and I want to make sure I don't use something I shouldn't lol
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Shell cleaning

I'm using Swiffer dusters primarily
    To clean the hardware and metal I actually use a cleaning wipe

User Info Menu

I found this great stuff called Pink Solution all purpose cleaner which I bought at Costco. It comes in a tub and look like a wax texture. You melt 1 cup of it in pot and then you add it to a 1 gallon of water. Can be used on glass, wood etc etc. I also use it on the interior of my car leaves a Armor All finish without the harsh chemicals so no damage to worry about.Check it out Pink Solution.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 03-09-2018 at 03:04 PM.

User Info Menu

I have some Simple Green lol
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

I use Simple Green.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

On wrap and clear coated finishes I would use a mild cleaner followed by a good wax. On stained without a clear coat, use furniture polish. On chrome hardware, use a chrome polish. No wax on chrome. Take your time and inspect all moving parts. Oil any thing that needs it with a light machine oil.
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.

User Info Menu

I use Drum Detailer then Carnauba wax on a lacquer finish with gold hardware.

User Info Menu

I have a couple of wrapped sets that I just wipe with a damp cloth and buff dry with an old T shirt.

The only set I have that is lacquered is my Premier Artist Birch - I'll wipe with a damp cloth, dry then spray a little pledge furniture polish onto a cloth then polish the shells. I don't know if I'm using the wrong stuff but I bought them from a guy who kept them in a conservatory and the constant direct sunlight has done weird things to the finish (which I like), at the moment its cloudy so they appear to be a burgundy colour, in brighter light they are a weird two tone purple/imperial blue.

I'm sure they shouldn't be like that, but I like the finish and they were cheap. I haven't got a clue what type of cleaning products I should be using, but I've figured out that if you want your drums to retain the original finish for as long as possible don't store them in direct sunlight.

scottyp is offline Senior Member (Respected Chatter)

User Info Menu

I use windex/glass cleaner sprayed on paper towel for wrapped shells and hardware... It's VERY mild. and does a good job... Most of the time getting the dust off is all that needs to be done... As hardware ages it starts to look a bit more beat up, but I am more into the sound than the cosmetics... If you gig, I can guarantee people are not looking at the cleanliness of your kit. haha