Thread: Radioface

User Info Menu

Default Radioface

After many years of practices, some gigging and other activities (as most of you know) I can finally say I have one hell of a kick butt band.

I've known the bass player since we were teenagers. He's played in bands with my little brother who also drums. I played in several bands with his lead guitarist brother. Our guitarist is the older brother to the twisted sisters band I tried putting together two years ago. "Playbak" if you recall. The thread on it is about 20 below this one.

Anyway, we have been gigging for a month now. We have successfully rebooked the 3 places we've already played and have a half dozen gigs booked so far into June.

I'll gather more pictures and information as I can. We are on Facebook in case anyone with an account wants to look. Pictures and videos are there. I won't link for fear of rule breaking but hope you'll have a look and listen.

This is our logo and banner and I'm having some bass drum stickers made up. We also have business cards.

Radioface_Logo_3.jpg

Here's an ad for our next gig.

GimpyPromo.jpg
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Default Re: Radioface

Congrats and enjoy. Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock.

User Info Menu

Is it it a RadioHead tribute band?

all the best...

User Info Menu

Looking good Bish all the luck to you and the guys.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Is it it a RadioHead tribute band?

all the best...
    No, sir. Nothing to do with RadioHead.

It's kind of a parody of "A voice for radio and the face for TV."

We, as a band, have neither.

We play Classic Rock while throwing in a tiny bit of current material and Current Country Rock. Bands from Montrose to Theory of a Dead man.
    Last edited by Bish; 03-10-2018 at 09:33 AM.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

With new bands come new challenges. One being where are we going to get a PA and who's going to haul it? What about stage lighting?

For many years gone by I've been the opitime of GAS. Having a place to practice required some sort of PA so I put a small system together 23 years ago.

This was my stage fill for my electronic drums from the beginning. After I stopped using the electrics this became my home PA system.

20180310_091216 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr

This is a 500 watt stereo system. The speaker cabs have a 15" and dual tweeter setup. This is now the monitor system. It can be ran as that or a stand alone PA for a small venue. It's completely portable as stand alone or plug into a larger PA system and be run as a side fill monitor system. I'm going to market it and see if I can't rent it out and hopefully get an ROI.

So that leaves needing something that will handle the stage and the rehearsal site. Now that I'm done buying keyboards, guitars and drums, I've moved on to PA's and light shows.

Here's what is now populating the rack that housed the old system.

20180310_091621 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr

20180310_091629 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr

20180310_091642 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr

2 3000 Watt Peavey power amps and a Behringer 2ch St or 3 ch mono crossover. My first ever experience with an active crossover. - Still getting my education on. lol

Finally replaced my 14 ch Mackie mixer (for the monitor system) with my 16 ch Peavey effects mixer.
    Last edited by Bish; 03-10-2018 at 10:09 AM.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

For the output I went is big as I could and more than happy with the results.

The upper cabinets are similar to my old existing 15" cabinets but with more power potential, much more efficient and a tad lighter than the old cabs.

The bass bins are 18" with similar power ratings so the amps and speaker cabinets are as closely match for spec as Peavey can make it.

All in all the system sounds spectacular.

20180310_091658 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr

20180310_091155 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr

20180310_091141 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr

I am now singing in 90% of the songs and wanted to try to get away from a boom mic. I took a shot at a headset mic and am very glad I did.

20180310_091758 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr
    Signature here

User Info Menu

The light system is by Chauvet. It'll do scenes, single colors, audio detection and strobe.

I think the entire complete setup including the tripods weighs less than my previous light show single side can set up. The old 150 watt spots, heavy cans and brackets made for a miserable haul. This new setup is so light weight, I don't mind hauling lights and drums. At least I got the guitarist to haul the PA since he has a capable vehicle.

So all in all here's what our practice set up looks like.

20180310_091743 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr

When I go gig, this is mostly what I take plus the lights.

20180310_091933 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr

I also take my own monitor which was also just purchased.

There was one predominant factor for buying a lot of this stuff. One of the vendors ran a 15% off sale. In some regards, after the discount, some of the items ended up being free.

Side benefit: GAS has subsided for a few hours.

Last but certainly not least. Many miles and dollars went to support all this new gadgetry. Remember that when you go to replace a major band component(s). I had to get patch cables to connect all the power amps to the crossover and mixer. Had to purchase special cables to run the distance to the PA cabinets from the power amps. Just lots of little things you maybe don't think of when planning this out. I know I spent several hundred dollars just on cabling. In the end all I can say is YEAH BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I've always made my own patch and speaker cables out of high quality wire and connectors. They end up being cheaper and more reliable than retail cabling, I can make them at the length that I want them, and they are easy to repair in the field if the need arises.

Contrats on the new band!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    I've always made my own patch and speaker cables out of high quality wire and connectors. They end up being cheaper and more reliable than retail cabling, I can make them at the length that I want them, and they are easy to repair in the field if the need arises.

Contrats on the new band!
    I am envious. I found my soldering abilities lacking on so many levels and being it shouldn't be like that, I'll leave it to those that can.

Thought I'd post a few more pics of the gear. Here's the back side of the rack set up. The crazy side. You would have been invalueable on this project DangerMoney. I needed cable from 1 to 50 feet. X more than one lol.

20180310_221518 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr

d20180310_221502 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr

Ran the wires across the ceiling so no one would step on them.

20180310_221611 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr
    Signature here

User Info Menu

That is one awesome job Bish! The techno geek in me loves projects like this. I too am envious ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    That is one awesome job Bish! The techno geek in me loves projects like this. I too am envious ...
    LOL. Thanks! I'll call first, next time.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

That’s awesome. Glad things are finally working out for you in the band department!

I bought a Fender acoustic guitar amp last fall and ALMOST pulled the trigger on a new Yamaha PA system...but I decided to wait until this Spring to see what we had lined up for gigs first. I’m glad I waited...I had one guitar player quit (no big deal, he was pretty much dead weight), but our main guitar/vocalist is having serious home life issues and is out for an indefinite amount of time. We’re trying to find another guitar/vocalist but it’s not looking good. I’m guessing it will be this fall before we’re back gigging again. Thank goodness I didn’t spend $3K on a sound system with no gig income to pay for it!!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Too much stuff to haul around bruh. Time to go digital with the mixer.

User Info Menu

Bish, you make me feel better about my own GAS issues(just welcomed home a new kit today). I got a digital mixer a while back and after several gigs and hours and hours of self-education, I finally have the hang of its basic operation. With powered speakers and monitors, we don't need a rack full of amps and effects. The setup is relatively simple and we can run sound from the stage or out front if we have a sound man. We also don't need a snake.
    I also tried a headset mic, but it wasn't powerful enough, so I went back to the mic and boom. It helps that I get free mics from my friend who owns a mic company. What headset did you choose? I heard Crown is one of the best, but at $400, it's a bit pricey for me.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Too much stuff to haul around bruh. Time to go digital with the mixer.
    Well, dayam. What wasn't I thinking?

How about a PA update? My guitarist and I had been talking about this PA stuff since we knew we were going to play and my basement system wasn't going to cut it. Plus, we were already using my lights, I didn't want to supply the PA and feel like I was being mooched on. You know what I mean? I would have because I wanted to play but would have expect some relief soon.

I am very reserved when it comes to buying band gear, as you all know, but was really itching to update my PA gear since we use my place and PA for rehearsal. My guitarist and I were both investigating/collaborating on a new system for the band and couldn't decide between powered cabs or traditional systems like mine. I'm more of a traditionalist so I just replaced my stuff with current technology with more power and lighter weight...awesome. Plus, I was able to convert my old system into a nice side fill monitor system if needed. Nothing went to waste, basically.

Today my guitarist informed me he ordered the powered system which he wants to use for gigging. I'm okay with that. He got the Peavey Dark Matter powered subs, mains and monitors. Wooohooo, we are set!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    That’s awesome. Glad things are finally working out for you in the band department!

I bought a Fender acoustic guitar amp last fall and ALMOST pulled the trigger on a new Yamaha PA system...but I decided to wait until this Spring to see what we had lined up for gigs first. I’m glad I waited...I had one guitar player quit (no big deal, he was pretty much dead weight), but our main guitar/vocalist is having serious home life issues and is out for an indefinite amount of time. We’re trying to find another guitar/vocalist but it’s not looking good. I’m guessing it will be this fall before we’re back gigging again. Thank goodness I didn’t spend $3K on a sound system with no gig income to pay for it!!

Yeah, you made the right choice. I bet you have to breathe a sigh of relief every month when that PA bill doesn't come. My wife kept saying wait until you earn some income first. What if it doesn't work out? She was right as I have 3 kits to show for 3 failed attempts to put a band together. I actually sold the kits, too but that's another story.

My system (other than the mixer) are 20 years old and I had been wanting to upgrade for a while now and with this new band it was a perfect "excuse" to do it. Nothing but want, no needs needed.

Good luck with your regrouping. Been there done that, too many times, but somehow, eventually, I get the call. It's crazy. I didn't think I'd be doing this again but man, with a full head of steam, off we go.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nubdrummer View Post
    Bish, you make me feel better about my own GAS issues(just welcomed home a new kit today). I got a digital mixer a while back and after several gigs and hours and hours of self-education, I finally have the hang of its basic operation. With powered speakers and monitors, we don't need a rack full of amps and effects. The setup is relatively simple and we can run sound from the stage or out front if we have a sound man. We also don't need a snake.
    I also tried a headset mic, but it wasn't powerful enough, so I went back to the mic and boom. It helps that I get free mics from my friend who owns a mic company. What headset did you choose? I heard Crown is one of the best, but at $400, it's a bit pricey for me.
    Ha! Always feel good about your gas. Congrats on your new kit!

Our guitarist bought a digital mixer, too, so it sounds like similar systems.

The mic I ended up with was a

Shure SM35 XLR Performance Headset Condenser Microphone. I paid about 1/3 of price of that Crown. I wouldn't spend $400.00 on a microphone. My vocals aren't that good.

I was not expecting the performance I got out of it. I use an SM 58 for vocals and this was a fair comparison.

As you well know, you can't back away from a headset mic. I ended up buying an XLR cable with a rotating switch on it to turn on and off the mic at will. For me...a must.

I don't have the wind screen on it because I wasn't sure I was going to keep but it I'm pretty sure I will, at this point. We gig this weekend so it'll get its debut.

20180310_091758 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr
    Signature here

User Info Menu

What do you think of the SM35? I actually bought one, but there was a screw up with the order and I ended up returning it. I've been using a Miktek PM9(my bandmate's company) which is great, but I would still like to try a headset that has enough power. My bandmate's company doesn't make headsets, or I'd use one of his.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nubdrummer View Post
    What do you think of the SM35? I actually bought one, but there was a screw up with the order and I ended up returning it. I've been using a Miktek PM9(my bandmate's company) which is great, but I would still like to try a headset that has enough power. My bandmate's company doesn't make headsets, or I'd use one of his.
    With what little experience (1 rehearsal and back at it again tonight) I've had with it, it will keep up with the SM 58 no problem. It's light weight and does not feel like you are actually wearing it. It sounds great and not much more you could ask for.

I'd recommend it.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Well, dayam. What wasn't I thinking?

How about a PA update? My guitarist and I had been talking about this PA stuff since we knew we were going to play and my basement system wasn't going to cut it. Plus, we were already using my lights, I didn't want to supply the PA and feel like I was being mooched on. You know what I mean? I would have because I wanted to play but would have expect some relief soon.

I am very reserved when it comes to buying band gear, as you all know, but was really itching to update my PA gear since we use my place and PA for rehearsal. My guitarist and I were both investigating/collaborating on a new system for the band and couldn't decide between powered cabs or traditional systems like mine. I'm more of a traditionalist so I just replaced my stuff with current technology with more power and lighter weight...awesome. Plus, I was able to convert my old system into a nice side fill monitor system if needed. Nothing went to waste, basically.

Today my guitarist informed me he ordered the powered system which he wants to use for gigging. I'm okay with that. He got the Peavey Dark Matter powered subs, mains and monitors. Wooohooo, we are set!
    With today's technology, less is more. No need to lug big heavy amps, FOH, lights, mixers and racks. The digital mixers take the place of all the junk we used to put in the rack. Speakers have become more efficient and smaller. Gotta go with LED lights...smaller and don't produce the heat.

We go with the following:

Behringer Air XR-18 or QSC TouchMix16 mixers
    2 QSC K-Sub Powered subwoofers (FOH)
    4 QSC K-12 Powered speakers (FOH)
    4 QSC K-12 Powered speakers (monitors)

Lighting consists of a combination of Chauvet 4 Bar, Kinta fx and Par 32 controlled with a remote wireless DMX box.

All lightweight small and easy to set up and tear down.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    With today's technology, less is more. No need to lug big heavy amps, FOH, lights, mixers and racks. The digital mixers take the place of all the junk we used to put in the rack. Speakers have become more efficient and smaller. Gotta go with LED lights...smaller and don't produce the heat.

We go with the following:

Behringer Air XR-18 or QSC TouchMix16 mixers
    2 QSC K-Sub Powered subwoofers (FOH)
    4 QSC K-12 Powered speakers (FOH)
    4 QSC K-12 Powered speakers (monitors)

Lighting consists of a combination of Chauvet 4 Bar, Kinta fx and Par 32 controlled with a remote wireless DMX box.

All lightweight small and easy to set up and tear down.
    Right behind you. Got the new Chauvet 8 light system. So much easier to haul and set up.

Guitarist got the powered system which should show up today and tomorrow.

We are getting there.

Thanks for all the information.
    Signature here