Thread: Gator drum bags

User Info Menu

Default Gator drum bags

Anyone using them? I've heard some good things about them and am going to order a set for my Mapex Armory kit.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gator drum bags

I've got one........................solid - nothing wrong with it.....................I use it on an old back-up gig snare.
    But Ahead and Protection Racket are noticeably better.
    I'm using the Ahead bags for my bass and large FT -- the zipper configuration helps on the larger drums.
    I'm using Protection racket on my nickel and bronze snares.....................excellent protection.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I've got one........................solid - nothing wrong with it.....................I use it on an old back-up gig snare.
    But Ahead and Protection Racket are noticeably better.
    I'm using the Ahead bags for my bass and large FT -- the zipper configuration helps on the larger drums.
    I'm using Protection racket on my nickel and bronze snares.....................excellent protection.
    When it comes to drum bags, I pretty much have most brands. Protection Racket I have on most of my snares. I think Beato bags are the best, they maintain their form when nothing is in them. Much thicker walls and foam.(that's on the higher end bags).
    Last edited by drummerMD; 03-14-2018 at 04:47 PM.

User Info Menu

I used Gator bags for gigging for 3 or 4 Years. They’re good, solid but basic bags. Never had an issue with rips, tears or broken zippers. They just don’t have much padding, and their long nylon strap handles are hard to carry....but they’re tough. I bought a Humes &Berg Galaxy bag for my 18” bass drum, and within 2 gigs it was starting to rip at a seam.

For my new Ludwigs, I purchased some new Roadrunner Touring bags. I really like them. They have a nice, thick padded liner and nice handles with rubber grips. Much more protective and easier to carry than the Gators. I just haven’t had them long enough to comment on their toughness.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I agree with Brian, I have some Gator Bags and never had any issues , but also like the Roadrunner bags. The last three bags I bought were the Roadrunners. I also like the little rubber glow in the dark numbers of the bag size for dim lit situations when packing up.
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

User Info Menu

the new snare I bought came with a Gator bag... it's actually very nice.
    But I still prefer the extra sense of security of my hard case.

User Info Menu

I've always been partial to Humes and Berg. Never a let down nor a failure.

Their Galaxy series has my complete and undivided attention. All my drums are in either H&B bags or SKB hard cases or with some snares, still in the factory box and never been played.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I have one Gator bag that i use for my mics, cables, snake, etc. Worked great for about 3-400 gigs then the zipper blew out on me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I've always been partial to Humes and Berg. Never a let down nor a failure.

Their Galaxy series has my complete and undivided attention. All my drums are in either H&B bags or SKB hard cases or with some snares, still in the factory box and never been played.
    I as well. Have a kick, a snare, and a cymbal bag...all Galaxy. Since I don't play out all that much, haven't been put to the test, but they are adequate for my needs.

all the best...

User Info Menu

If I get back in to playing out soon I've debated bags for the next kit.
    I'm looking to buy yet another small traveling kit.

User Info Menu

I have various Gator and SKB bags for 2 kits, plus mics, mixers, etc. They are all good and have held up well for the last 4 years of not too frequent gigging. For my most recent drum kit purchases, considering the investment, I am getting Ahead Armor bags. Definitely a step up in construction and protection. Also the zipper makes it much easier to get the drums in and out of them.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

I use Drum Seeker for my toms and snares, and a Tuxedo for the bass--mainly because the Drum Seeker bass bag is pretty darn heavy
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!