Thread: Evans tuning

User Info Menu

Default Evans tuning

I have a question!! I've been playing for about 9 months now....and I'm finally bearable to listen to! My neighbor is getting tired of hearing "Gimme Shelter and Honky Tonk Woman"!

I have been experimenting with different heads on my 10-12 and 16" toms. I have a Gretsch Renown set with a 22 bass, 10,12" toms, a 16" floor tom. The starter set that I had for about 2 months before I bought the Gretsch set was a Pearl Import...that now has become a beautiful floor lamp as well as table lamp. The Bass drum is now a Table. I did take the Pearl 16" floor tom and tuned it down to add an additional tom to the Gretsch set.

Here is my question. Since I am a tinkerer....I have been trying different heads...and each time...I get more and more impressed with the sounds. This set I installed last night was an Evans EC2 S SST 10 and 12" clear head. Sounded PHENOMENAL!! However...it was late last night when I finished tuning them on the counter of my kitchen...and I don't play after 8pm as to not disturb the neighbors. This morning...I played a couple songs...went out on an appointment...came back and just checked the tuning...and both toms had dropped pitch. I retuned them...and played again for about 20 minutes. Checked the tuning again...and it had dropped. WHAT????

I learned how to tune by ear...but I also bought a Drum Dial...that checks tension as well as a Tune Bot. I tuned these by using the Tune Bot. Why...WHY..are these toms losing their pitch so fast? Is this normal with Evans heads during break-in? I don't recall the Remo heads that I have experimented with losing their tune so quickly!

Spoke with a rep from Sam Ash...just as I was typing... and he felt that the lugs were at fault & backing out and suggested I use Teflon Tape on the threads to help prevent them from backing out. He states that he personally uses Blue Loctite because he is a hard hitter to prevent such a situation.

Is there any other opinions as to why this is happening...or is my Sam Ash guy on point?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Evans tuning

No. Do NOT put Loctite on the tuning lugs. That’s the worst advice I think I’ve ever heard. The heads are stretching, which is normal. If they stretch a lot at first, it’s probably because they weren’t seated good.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Many of us, including myself, put a dab of Vaseline on the tension rods before installing them. It lubricates them, but the viscous jelly also helps keep them from backing out on their own.
    When you install new heads, tighten them about 1 to 1-1/2 turns, then press down firmly in the center of the head with the heel of your hands. You may hear cracking & popping...which is normal.
    There are a ton of videos on YouTube that instruct on how to seat new heads. You don’t have to do it, many people don’t, but it helps make sure everything is in place and reduce the frequency of having to re-tune. It’s common for new heads to loosen up on their own.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I’ll also say DON’T USE LOCTITE. I use have a tub of black bearing grease for cars that I dip the tip of every lug into. Works great.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    No. Do NOT put Loctite on the tuning lugs. That’s the worst advice I think I’ve ever heard. The heads are stretching, which is normal. If they stretch a lot at first, it’s probably because they weren’t seated good.
    I tend to agree..but he even told me to use plumbers tape instead of the Loctite he uses on the threads to prevent back out. I did that...since I have several rolls laying around.

Really....So Vaseline will help keep the threads from backing out? I did push down on the heads right after I hand tightened the lugs....but there were no cracks and creaks like I've heard on Remo heads. Even while tightening...no cracks or pops. I'll keep tuning...and playing...and hopefully..they will slow down on the stretching. When using Remo heads..once seated..they do not seem to de-tune as these Evans heads have done. Is that a normal characteristic of Evans heads? The Evans coated G2's I replaced seemed to keep the tune a lot longer for some reason and didn't seem to have this issue. I recently switched over to Evans with the G2's...but this set of Ec2's is the first set that I have had a hard time keeping still...and tuned.

User Info Menu

Did you do any break in?

I put my new heads on loosely. Then take my fist and pushed down real hard all around the tom head.
    You'll hear it flexing and crinkling. I do this to help stretch and break it in quicker.
    Then my toms stay in tune better right off the bat

User Info Menu

Same here, stretch head by pressing down on center.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Did you do any break in?

I put my new heads on loosely. Then take my fist and pushed down real hard all around the tom head.
    You'll hear it flexing and crinkling. I do this to help stretch and break it in quicker.
    Then my toms stay in tune better right off the bat
    Yes...I pushed down on it with my fist all around thread..but for some reason...I didn't hear any crackling of glue and the usual sounds of seating a head! I just figured it had something to do with theft that it was a Evans head! Remo heads crack, snap and pop a lot! These did not! I guess I'll just keep playing and tuning and eventually they will seat. Is it too late to loosen and push down on the heads...maybe a little harder than I did? I hate being ignorant!

User Info Menu

I would just leave them and keep adjusting as you go honestly.

User Info Menu

Yeah, that is the way I used to do play, tune, play and tune. Till I heard it somewhere about head stretching many moon ago.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Yeah, that is the way I used to do play, tune, play and tune. Till I heard it somewhere about head stretching many moon ago.
    The frustrating part is....I DID push down on the heads...but not with any REAL force...and there was no cracking..so I proceeded to tune. Its a good thing that I like killing time tuning my drums...because I've done it like 7 times in 4 days. Nothing worse than an out of tune Tom. Especially that darn 12" one. Thats my nemesis. It IS getting better...so patience is a virtue here...which I seem to lack.

Thanks guys!!

scottyp is offline Senior Member (Respected Chatter)

User Info Menu

tune it back up,, repeat a few times... It will settle and be fine. I for one don't put a bunch of grease on my lugs usually and ever have any issues. Think of a guitar player. They tune every jam, sometimes 2 or 3 times. Your plucking a string and it's stretching. They sell locking things but it still needs to get tuned... Drums should probibly get tuned every jam, every show. But people put heads on and think they are good for weeks. Usually they still sound decent for a while as your not pitch matching another player or vocalist, but they will detune. After a week or 2 this problem goes away.

The tunebot will help you a ton get it back to where you had it exactly.

As far as experimenting. All the big 3 companies have decent heads. Find out the sound you desire and experiment with that. Eg coated for warm, clear for punch. Then dual ply for low with less ring, single for better response, louder, more overtones. and then they still have choices.

I am a pretty big fan of the EC2 heads on my toms. They still sing, but are very controlled and punchy.