Thread: "Dad can I use your old drums to learn on?"

User Info Menu

Default "Dad can I use your old drums to learn on?"

"Dad, can I use your old drums to learn on?"

As previously noted I have a new kit on the way. I have been trying to decide if I wanted to keep the current kit I am playing with now, or get rid of it.

Lo and behold my 9 year old son asks me if he can have it to learn on. I told him I have had thoughts of getting rid of it, and I saw the lump come up in his throat and his eyes starting to water.

That was enough for me. I told him I'm not going to set up the full six pieces, but I'll let him use the kick and snare to continue learning to keep time and sit in the pocket. Once I'm satisfied with that, I will add some toms to the configuration.

Needless to say he is very excited, and is telling everyone that he is getting his own kit to learn on.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: "Dad can I use your old drums to learn on?"

Good dad!

User Info Menu

That's awesome! Great job dad!

User Info Menu

That's a great approach. Giving him a simple kit to start with will help him focus on the fundamentals, and give him incentive to practice and improve in order to be rewarded by you gradually adding pieces. That way you'll know he is serious about learning and not just enamored with the cool shiny things.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

That is awesome! Great job dad!
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Been there, done that DrumWhipper.
    I've always had a kit my son could play when he wanted to.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    "Dad, can I use your old drums to learn on?"

As previously noted I have a new kit on the way. I have been trying to decide if I wanted to keep the current kit I am playing with now, or get rid of it.

Lo and behold my 9 year old son asks me if he can have it to learn on. I told him I have had thoughts of getting rid of it, and I saw the lump come up in his throat and his eyes starting to water.

That was enough for me. I told him I'm not going to set up the full six pieces, but I'll let him use the kick and snare to continue learning to keep time and sit in the pocket. Once I'm satisfied with that, I will add some toms to the configuration.

Needless to say he is very excited, and is telling everyone that he is getting his own kit to learn on.
    I'd also give him a rack tom and floor tom, why limit his creativity? The ability to do fills around a kit is equally important as keeping time with the kick and snare is it not?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    I'd also give him a rack tom and floor tom, why limit his creativity? The ability to do fills around a kit is equally important as keeping time with the kick and snare is it not?
    Because he needs to learn to keep time and sit in the pocket before ever trying to play fills.

I've done this method with several students, and the ones who follow it end up doing better in the long run.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals