Thread: Grand Funk Railroad

User Info Menu

Default Grand Funk Railroad

That moment when Grand Funk Railroad is playing in your state and Sweet Sweet Connie is at the show.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Grand Funk Railroad

It's not Grand Funk without Mark Farner. (Sorry, from Michigan and that is a touchy subject around some parts here)
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

I agree no GFR without Mark. I don't live in Michigan but still a touchy subject cause I was a die hard fan of theirs. I listen to Mark Farner on Sirius one day talking about his days with GFR and why they split etc. Pretty sad situation cause they played good music together. He tried to get together for a tour with no success. Sad.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 03-17-2018 at 09:05 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    It's not Grand Funk without Mark Farner. (Sorry, from Michigan and that is a touchy subject around some parts here)
    My sentiments too. Loved Grand Funk as boy. Mark Farner always struck me as a pretty decent human being.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I think GFR was a decent band. Unfortunately, they’ve been so over-played that it’s ruined them for me. I’ve just heard too many crappy cover bands do their stuff.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Yaaay! Grandpa Funk Railroad...j/k

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by olimpass View Post
    yaaay! Grandpa funk railroad...j/k
    hahahahaha

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Mark Farner always struck me as a pretty decent human being.
    I was living in Dallas during the 70s and got a roadie job with a major sound company -- I worked a portion of the GFR tour in mid-late '73.
    Farner was a fun guy -- good sense of humor and nice to people.
    Schacher stayed to himself and said very little.
    Brewer was a loud-mouth jerk.................talked down to road crew.
    I also met Connie -- scary.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I think GFR was a decent band. Unfortunately, they’ve been so over-played that it’s ruined them for me. I’ve just heard too many crappy cover bands do their stuff.
    I am on Sirius 60 to mid 80's music on car radio every day and I never hardly hear any GFR songs So as far as been over played I would disagree on that. I have never heard any cover band play their music never.

User Info Menu

Ready to laugh? Connie was a substitute teacher in the Little Rock School District for many years!
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I am on Sirius 60 to mid 80's music on car radio every day and I never hardly hear any GFR songs So as far as been over played I would disagree on that. I have never heard any cover band play their music never.
    Maybe not so much anymore, but back in the 70’s, 80’s and early ‘90’s they got a ton of airplay around here. Mostly the same few songs; American Band, Some kinda Wonderful and Captain....And their cover of Loco-motion. I don’t mean to bash GFR...some of their stuff I really like. That said, I have a hard time getting past their cover of “Gimme Shelter”

-Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I was a fan for the first three albums...................some good, heavy original stuff that was right for the times (69 & 70).
    After that, not so much.

Then..............when they got into enjoying making money from cheesy covers of Some Kinda' Wonderful and The Loco-Motion, I wanted to puke.
    To top it all off, the original We're an American Band was beyond embarrassment...................of course, written by Don Brewer.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    There is much more to their music than anything you have ever heard a cover band cover. You should give them another listen starting with the 1st album. Feel free to skip all the hits and you will be pleasantly surprised.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

In my book "some kind of wonderful" is a great song. Good vocals and drumming one of my favorite.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 03-20-2018 at 09:47 AM.

User Info Menu

I hung out with Mark Farner for part of an afternoon when GFR played Little Rock on their last tour. He was a gracious, friendly, and very open man. My wife and I attended the concert that night in the front row after Mark made reservations for us. He waved and acknowledged us from the stage. He was literally screwed out of his livelihood by Don Brewer on that tour when he was coerced to sign legal documents.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

My brother still has his coin album he bought when it came out.

I've been in more 3 pc bands than any other kind of line up... probably my favorite to play in and to watch.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN