Thread: Slight issue with an upcoming gig

User Info Menu

Default Slight issue with an upcoming gig

So one of the bands I play with is playing a festival in two weeks to help raise money for Wounder Veterans here in Arkansas.

I was informed last night that the festival decided to go with a house kit to assist with time between the various bands that are playing. I have no issue with this from that perspective, but I have a couple of issues from another perspective.

I use several percussion items for various songs (cowbell, chimes, etc) that will not be provided with the house kit. The band is playing for plays all original songs and these items are used at key times to both begin and end songs, and are part of the "signature sound" of the band - as our lead singer notes.

Now, the issue here is that I've been told I can use these items, but I have to set them up with the kit during the initial set up, and I can't take them down until teardown at the end of the night. Initial setup takes place at noon. We go on at six. Teardown is estimated to begin around midnight.

My band is telling me they need these items, yet I really don't care to get to the venue six hours early, then have to wait around an additional four hours after our set is over just to get my items back (we play from 6-745).

How would you handle this situation? I all for being a team player and making things work, but I sure don't care to be stuck at a venue for over 12 hours when I'm only going to play for an hour and 45 minutes lol.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Slight issue with an upcoming gig

Allow me to add that the venue is operated by a group of outlaw bikers. They are very particular and things will be done their way or no way at all. They are a good group of people, but they have made it clear no equipment other than guitars and amps will be added to or taken away from the stage once the show begins. They are only allowing one bass amp at the show as well.

It is kind of funny, our guitarist is asking why he is the only one who has to drag gear around for this gig.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

that's a tough predicament. That also sounds like your gear would then be free game for other drummers to use too since it'll be setup all day. You tell the band you'll sacrifice going early for sound check but if they really want them one of them has to stay and make sure he collects all the items when its done.

User Info Menu

I'm not sure how things work where you are, but around here a band that shows up only for their set, and leaves when they are finished playing are called Azzholes, and not invited back! If these sounds are so important the band, then they should stay as well, or just do without. And I have never heard of a guitar player who would whine about using "his rig" Usually they are pretty anal about their sound being just right. Who is supplying the backline kit? Is it decent? Is it a beat up Export with dented heads and B8 cymbals?

User Info Menu

Is it possible to mount these minor side-toys all on one stand ?
    Take it up on stage with you and take it off the stage with you..................the other drummers would never know.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Take it up on stage with you and take it off the stage with you..................the other drummers would never know.
    This, this, this,.....or screw a mount to the guitarist amp and mount it all on that. He won't notice. I promise.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I told our lead singer that he needs to ask them some tough questions. If he wants our "signature sound" he either needs to have them allow some extra goodies, or allow me to bring my entire kit. One of the two. If not he will lose some of his "signature sound".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    this is a great idea
    They may complain about the mic'ing from the sounds of them but oh well.
    Easiest solution

User Info Menu

That's when a sample pad come's in handy. . . . .glad I got one

User Info Menu

If it was me, I’d just do without. There’s a ton more involved in creating a “signature sound” than a couple Percussion items. Figure out how to pull off the songs without the accessories. It may not sound exactly the same as your used to, but will anyone in the audience really know any different?
    I’d tell the guitarist to “musician-up” and make it work.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I agree with N2Bluz. There are many ways to skin a cat ...

User Info Menu

I'm still wondering if the backline kit is going to be any good---seems like that would be much more important than a cowbell?

User Info Menu

I know the kit they are using. It is a friends kit, but it's much larger than my kit, and you can't add my mounts unless you do it before the entire kit is set up. This dude has his kit set up like a Neal Peart wannabe kit lol

User Info Menu

Hell no. It's one gig and no one will remember if the cowbell was there or not. Your band is being ridiculous. Since it's a benefit I have to assume you aren't getting paid either.

User Info Menu

Simple. Use some cheap or throw away-able items that you can afford to leave there. I've seen cowbells that cost less than $10

all the best...

User Info Menu

This in my opinion is ridiculous. It would take minutes to set up a set of chimes and a cowbell and even a few other percussion instruments. I would just quickly add them to the kit before you start and remove them after your set. If they don't allow that then well I just wouldn't do the gig. Life is to short to deal with nonsense like this.

User Info Menu

Let the singer play the cowbell and maybe even the chimes... if he can manage the hefty challenge.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Hell no. It's one gig and no one will remember if the cowbell was there or not. Your band is being ridiculous. Since it's a benefit I have to assume you aren't getting paid either.
    I have not hit cowbell since the 70s........................................must be important !

MORE COWBELL..............
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Got it worked out. Singer is going to hold the dang cowbell for the song I hit the intro on lol