Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8 lug vs 10 lug Thoughts

User Info Menu

Default 8 lug vs 10 lug Thoughts

So I'm building a new snare drum and I'm online ordering parts as we speak.

I have one predicament... should I go 8 lug or 10?

Here's my pros and cons...

10 Lug Pros:
    With 10 lug snares the sound is crisper and more controlled to me.
    I feel you can tune them tighter and they stay in tune better with my aggressive playing.

10 Lug Cons:
    With more lugs it takes away from the finish of the snare drum.
    I have a beautiful Bocote snare shell and i want to show off more of the beautiful natural wood.

So... Do I sacrifice sound for looks... or go for sound over style.

with my racecar I've always been Function>Form
    but with this snare I can't decide!

User Info Menu

Default Re: 8 lug vs 10 lug Thoughts

Also... I love die cast hoops but the price is twice the price of 3.0mm Triple Flanged hoops

User Info Menu

I assume it’s 14”?

I’d say if you like a tight batter head, then 10 would be best. Less stress on the lugs and shell and better control of overtones. Maybe use a tube lug that is less noticeable?

8 lugs work good, but tend to produce a wider range of overtones. Depending on the sound you want, that might even be more desirable.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I assume it’s 14”?

I’d say if you like a tight batter head, then 10 would be best. Less stress on the lugs and shell and better control of overtones. Maybe use a tube lug that is less noticeable?

8 lugs work good, but tend to produce a wider range of overtones. Depending on the sound you want, that might even be more desirable.
    It is a 14" snare indeed.

I'm passing on the tube lug because sooooo many people use them. And I want something different.

I'm going with these in black nickel

User Info Menu

I'd go 10 for sure! And I like N2B's idea of tube lugs as, A) I like tube lugs...they look classy, and, B) It perfectly solves your cosmetic "problem".
    Good call N2B!

User Info Menu

your lug pic post came in while I was typing Zack. Those lugs won't cover much shell. You know you need 10 of 'em.

User Info Menu

yeah I'm excited to finally finish this drum up. Had it for 2 years haven't touched it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    It is a 14" snare indeed.

I'm passing on the tube lug because sooooo many people use them. And I want something different.

I'm going with these in black nickel
    Those will work....probably look even less cluttered than tube lugs. I’d say you’re on the right track. I’d definitely go with 10....especially with triple flange hoops.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Go with the 10 Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Go with the 10 Zack
    Yeah, I thought 10 lugs on 14" was pretty much the norm. and 8 lugs on a 13". Though I do have a 6x13 in. Drum Craft snare that has 10 lugs, that's those German's for ya! lol

User Info Menu

i went with 10 lug and I splurged on the die cast hoops... it's just money right?!

User Info Menu

Took you all of 9 hours. Hell of a difficult decision. Takes me longer to decide what I'm going to have for dinner.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Took you all of 9 hours. Hell of a difficult decision. Takes me longer to decide what I'm going to have for dinner.
    I tell you what Rick... Cailyn thought I was so crazy that it took me HOURS to decide what parts and route i wanted to go. Then I showed her the price tags and she said... take your time and don't get it wrong! hahaha women...

User Info Menu

Years ago, I considered getting Keller shells and building my own custom made drum set when I realized that I didn't have the patience to wait for my toast to get done, so that idea went out the window.

There was a guy here that built a beautiful set about 5-6 years ago. Superprohero if I remember right. He put a lot of work into building them. He was offered money to build a set for somebody and he said "never again". I guess that the picture(s) he put up are up there somewhere but I'm damned if I remember when and where.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Rick, could it be signia fan I think he is the one that builds drums not too sure though.

User Info Menu

Rick, could it be signia fan I think he is the one that builds drums not too sure though.
    Pretty sure it was superprohero. He built the set for himself and doesn't build for other people.

Somebody here must remember who I'm talking about.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Signia builds his from scratch...as in cuts down the tree himself, LOL.

Right now, you can buy Keller Shells on-line with your choice of bearing edges already cut, and even pre-drilled for the hardware. All you need to do is stain/paint/wrap the shells and assemble them with a screwdriver. Honestly, with the exception of the stain, it’s no more work than assembling a new kit out of the box. That said, the finish work, whether it’s stain or wrap, can be a fair amount of work. Not difficult, but laborious.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Yeah and honestly.... the cost of parts just putting this snare together... it's honestly not worth it in my opinion vs just buying a new one that I like. I probably have almost $400 into this snare drum already now

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Pretty sure it was superprohero. He built the set for himself and doesn't build for other people.

Somebody here must remember who I'm talking about.
    Rick I checked the members list and there is no superprohero.

User Info Menu

Yep, signia fan is the one.

User Info Menu

"Drumbuild- DONE!!!
    Started by stuperprohero, 08-28-2011 08:00 PM
    123"

It was stuperprohero. The pic's of the set he built were removed. He had 3 "pages" of posts including 1 from Ricardo. It starts on "page" 45 of Drums, Drumset, and gear.

I don't know who or why the pic's were removed. It was a sharp looking set of drums.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Yeah don't mess with Rick! He'll search it till he wins

User Info Menu

Yeah don't mess with Rick! He'll search it till he wins
    This is true. It's entirely possible I'm the Devil you don't know.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Do what you like..................what looks best to you.
    While I appreciate (and own) the 10-lug snare drum, the best sounding snare I ever played was a 5X14 with 8 lugs................gorgeous.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Yeah and honestly.... the cost of parts just putting this snare together... it's honestly not worth it in my opinion vs just buying a new one that I like. I probably have almost $400 into this snare drum already now
    Exactly how I felt when I refurbed one of my bass drums.

How are those lugs? They take on a big load both ways.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN