Thread: Which Throw Off?

User Info Menu

Default Which Throw Off?

So I'm not having a lot of luck finding a lot of throw offs in Black Nickel finish.

My two main choices are these:
    1) DW Mag throw. (For all who know or have used these, they are for sure one of the best)
    94a19dff-2ab7-451c-a54c-a1d500d52511_590x554_1-dw-mag-snare-throw-off-black-nickel-.jpg

2) RCK Throw off (never heard of it but I don't mind the look of it)
    s-l500.jpg

3) iNDE throw off

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by SpazApproved; 03-31-2018 at 07:43 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Which Throw Off?

Mag Throw all the way! On my snare drum project that's what I'm looking at. I'm just trying to find the 3 pos. snare butt in Black Nickel.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    Mag Throw all the way! On my snare drum project that's what I'm looking at. I'm just trying to find the 3 pos. snare butt in Black Nickel.
    Since i work at a music store do you want me to pick you up one?
    I'll order two lol

User Info Menu

iNDE also has a black nickel throw off and butt plate that is supposed to be sweet. The owner is the guy who created the Atlas line for Ludwig. They are out of MI.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

My PDP Concept had the DW mag throw. It was definitely a slick design in terms of operation....but a royal pain to gig with. It stuck out so far that the lever was always getting caught on stuff...and the flip down operation made it worse. It was a pain to pack into the bag because of that. I have no desire to have one unless the snare will sit in one spot and never be moved.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    My PDP Concept had the DW mag throw. It was definitely a slick design in terms of operation....but a royal pain to gig with. It stuck out so far that the lever was always getting caught on stuff...and the flip down operation made it worse. It was a pain to pack into the bag because of that. I have no desire to have one unless the snare will sit in one spot and never be moved.
    That is definitely one issue a lot of people talk about is how bulking the DW Mag throw off is.
    Especially with my hard cases you have to put the snare drum in just right to fit it.
    Which is crazy considering it just flaps down to function.

User Info Menu

Yeah, with mine I don't have an issue because the one snare I have that has one, I have an Ahead snare bag for it and it's more tear shaped instead of round and it drops right in! Right now I have a Trick Throw on order for a Crush 6.5X13 snare, all white w/red lugs. The Trick throw is comming unassembled so I could have it powder coated gloss white. Right now I'm customizing a Crush chameleon 5 pc. set 20x20/10x7/12x8/16x14/13x6.5.
    Last edited by drummerMD; 03-31-2018 at 01:00 PM.

User Info Menu

Putting it in the bag was not the only issues for me. I was always getting the lever caught on my pant leg or other stuff. It wasn’t a big deal, but more of an occasional annoyance. I rarely use the throw off or adjust the wires once set, so a quality traditional throw off fits my needs with out issues.

I will say, the DW mag works very well and makes wire adjustments easy. It’s a great functioning throw.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Totally agree 100%

User Info Menu

I've tried all three and my choice would depend on the thickness of the shell. I'm a huge fan of the iNDE because it's adjustable, light and low profile. I've retrofitted several drums with it and it's always come out well. The RCK is another good one. It's got a little more heft than the iNDE but it has a smooth, positive feel to it and it's solid. I like the Mag but it's fixed hole spacing and bulk just doesn't suit what I like in a strainer. It's a great piece of engineering but I'd only recommend it for a heavier shell.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markdrum View Post
    I've tried all three and my choice would depend on the thickness of the shell. I'm a huge fan of the iNDE because it's adjustable, light and low profile. I've retrofitted several drums with it and it's always come out well. The RCK is another good one. It's got a little more heft than the iNDE but it has a smooth, positive feel to it and it's solid. I like the Mag but it's fixed hole spacing and bulk just doesn't suit what I like in a strainer. It's a great piece of engineering but I'd only recommend it for a heavier shell.
    For the drum I was building I used the RCK! Here is the drum I built.

I have since then used the Inde on 3 other drums I put together. It's a great throw but it is a little weak and I have broken one actually.