Thread: Why cutting the correct snare beds are important

User Info Menu

Default Why cutting the correct snare beds are important

I'm so excited to have fixed and solved my snare issue. It still sounded good but never perfect to me! i tried different heads and different tuning and here the whole time it was a bad snare beds!

Last edited by SpazApproved; 04-03-2018 at 04:51 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Why cutting the correct snare beds are important

Why didn't anyone tell me the link didn't work lol
    Fixed it!

User Info Menu

Looks and sounds great! Nice job.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Why didn't anyone tell me the link didn't work lol
    Fixed it!
    Haha I saw it on YouTube before you made the thread.

How did make the snare beds? I want to do the same but I don’t know how to get in perfectly straight or what to do with the bearing edges.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Haha I saw it on YouTube before you made the thread.

How did make the snare beds? I want to do the same but I don’t know how to get in perfectly straight or what to do with the bearing edges.
    Well since I had already cut them once it was a bit more difficult than working with new ones.
    I used the blue painters tape to make a straight even line. Then I used a dremel to remove the big sections and a hand file to even and smooth it out.
    Then finished it off by hand with sandpaper and block.

User Info Menu

Zack, I have to ask. How would 1 know if a snare (or any drum for that matter) sounds "perfect"? Is there some kind of measuring device that tells you if they are perfect or if they sound like crap.

That is a question that I have pondered for many a year. To be (perfect), or not to be (perfect), that is the question. So, therein lies the rub. How will I know, have I been playing drums that for all these years, were not perfect.

I have looked on Amazon only to find that there are no books, DVD's, CD's, MD'S, RD'S, or DD'S, but, alas, nothing on how to get your drum sound "perfect". There are books etc. on how to play, why should 1 play, why you should play the flute (not much to carry around), how to deal with musicians when you don't want to but need them if you want to play in a band.

Now, as I lay sleepless at night, wondering if my drums will sneak upstairs and pull a Loreena Bobbitt on me with a thin 18" Zildjian cymbal for not making sure that they were perfect. This, perish the thought, is what has been done to me in the remaining years of my life as I try to figure this all out.

Et Tu Zack, Et Tu.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Well Rick...Take a Ludwig Supra for instance. Pretty much "perfect" right out of the box. No extra curricular carpentry work required!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Zack, I have to ask. How would 1 know if a snare (or any drum for that matter) sounds "perfect"? Is there some kind of measuring device that tells you if they are perfect or if they sound like crap.

That is a question that I have pondered for many a year. To be (perfect), or not to be (perfect), that is the question. So, therein lies the rub. How will I know, have I been playing drums that for all these years, were not perfect.

I have looked on Amazon only to find that there are no books, DVD's, CD's, MD'S, RD'S, or DD'S, but, alas, nothing on how to get your drum sound "perfect". There are books etc. on how to play, why should 1 play, why you should play the flute (not much to carry around), how to deal with musicians when you don't want to but need them if you want to play in a band.

Now, as I lay sleepless at night, wondering if my drums will sneak upstairs and pull a Loreena Bobbitt on me with a thin 18" Zildjian cymbal for not making sure that they were perfect. This, perish the thought, is what has been done to me in the remaining years of my life as I try to figure this all out.

Et Tu Zack, Et Tu.

SHE'S COMING FOR YOU NEXT RICK

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Well Rick...Take a Ludwig Supra for instance. Pretty much "perfect" right out of the box. No extra curricular carpentry work required!

all the best...
    True and also the Black Beauty SS.

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post

SHE'S COMING FOR YOU NEXT RICK
    She's sitting there thinking "why didn't I fry it like that other girl did".

I've been married twice, I slept on my stomach. If you sleep on your back, it makes it too easy. If you sleep on your side, they have to do it like they are carving up a turkey.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

scottyp is offline Senior Member (Respected Chatter)

User Info Menu

That is a LARGE snare drum. Very cool idea. Makes me want to find an old used floortom cheap on the buy and sell to modify :P