Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First gig tonight

User Info Menu

Default First gig tonight

The band I'm with that plays all original tunes has our first gig tonight at a show to raise money for Wounded Warriors. We will play from 7-845 on the main stage.

I'm looking forward to seeing how things go with this band.

https://www.facebook.com/LagrueBayouBand/
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: First gig tonight

first show, good time slot and a great cause!
    Best of luck!

User Info Menu

Good luck, sure you will go over well, few I have heard sound good. Do you guys do any covers at all or 100% original?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Good luck, sure you will go over well, few I have heard sound good. Do you guys do any covers at all or 100% original?
    Very few if any covers. We have about 60 original songs.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Good luck on the gig!
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

I agree with all Good Whipper.

User Info Menu

Show has been canceled. They built the stage outside last night, knowing rain was in the forecast. They had the option to build it inside, but didn't do so. No gig for us tonight.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumwhipper View Post
    show has been canceled. They built the stage outside last night, knowing rain was in the forecast. They had the option to build it inside, but didn't do so. No gig for us tonight.
    that completely sucks!

User Info Menu

So now I'm taking a few days to do some thinking and make some decisions. It turns out the gig wasn't cancelled and they moved it indoors, our lead singer just didn't believe there would be much of a crowd due to the weather, so HE cancelled our band, and another band came in to fill our slot.

I've been practicing with these guys for almost a year, and we haven't played a single gig yet, and there is nothing on the horizon in regards to gigs. I'm beginning to believe these guys just like to meet up and jam on the weekends, and don't particularly care about playing live shows.

That ain't me. I like to jam, but I also like to play live. I asked about upcoming gigs and was told there are none and that the plan is to go into the studio. That's cool and all, but I'm not sure this deal is my cup of tea. I know my wife is upset with the practice time and no shows. Shes all for me practicing if I am getting paying gigs, but she has made it clear to me that she isn't happy with how this thing is going.

User Info Menu

After sleeping on it and considering everything involved (same band that made the big deal out of not being able to use the cowbell on one song that I posted about..all that ruckus then they didn't do the gig) I've decided to walk away.

I've been on craigslist and posted an ad there, and have found two ads that I am about to answer.

User Info Menu

Canceling out of a show is a big “no-no”. It doesn’t matter the crowd size or weather; if the show is a “go”, then you show up and play. The only exception is safety concerns with rain or lightning. If you’re hired to play for 4hrs, you play for 4hrs...even if the bar is empty.
    Getting a reputation as a band that is hard to work with or undependable is a sure way to fail before you get started.
    I think you made the right decision.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

DW Sorry to hear about your decision to walk away after a year of playing with these guys but you will find something out there that is more your cup of tea. Good luck man.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    It turns out the gig wasn't cancelled and they moved it indoors, our lead singer just didn't believe there would be much of a crowd due to the weather, so HE cancelled our band, and another band came in to fill our slot.
    Your lead singer is a chickens**t imposter........................get out !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

As soon as I heard what the singer did, I would have relocated his mic and been out the door. Brian is 100% correct.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

That's too bad. Being in a band is like herding cats.

User Info Menu

It makes me wonder if your lead singer might be battling a case of stage fright.

User Info Menu

Lead singer sent out a text this morning saying he is done with music. Said it is too much of a hassle.

User Info Menu

Good grief.....

That would have been valuable info to know before you got involved with them, LOL.
    BUT.....on the positive side; you gained personal exposure and experience, so it’s not a complete loss. This frees you up for other bands.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    That's too bad. Being in a band is like herding cats.

Herding cats is a bag of shells compared to being in a band. Being in about 8 bands in roughly a 2 year period in the early '70's made me wonder if there was any intelligent life in the musicianship world. If I could have taken all the brains from 90% of the guitar players and singers I've had to deal with, magnified them 100,000 times and put the results on a hair, it would look like a BB on a 4 lane highway.

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    It makes me wonder if your lead singer might be battling a case of stage fright.
    I think he's battling a case of BS. If aliens came here and the people they abducted were guitar players and singers, you now have the reason why they haven't stopped by for coffee and a doughnut.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I've had four opportunities come my way in the past week. I'm evaluating each one to see if any of them fit what I want to do, and if I fit what they want to do. If so, I will join one. If not, I will continue to look.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Your lead singer is a chickens**t imposter........................get out !
    Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    Lead singer sent out a text this morning saying he is done with music. Said it is too much of a hassle.
    Blessed relief.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Herding cats is a bag of shells compared to being in a band. Being in about 8 bands in roughly a 2 year period in the early '70's made me wonder if there was any intelligent life in the musicianship world. If I could have taken all the brains from 90% of the guitar players and singers I've had to deal with, magnified them 100,000 times and put the results on a hair, it would look like a BB on a 4 lane highway.
    Amen, brother. My band hasn’t played since New Years Day due to.......yep......guitar players/singers.

I have one guy who wants to keep playing, but his wife put the “kabosh” on his “excessive band time”. She actually told us, “you’re playing too much and you’re going to take a couple months off”. Ummm......no.

I have another guitarist that said he’d step up and pick up the slack for the first guy. He wanted me to give him part control of the band. He came to the next practice with 5 new songs he wanted to do. They were good songs, but pretty complex. I told him they were awesome, but it would take a lot of work...we’d work on them one at a time, then introduce them when ready. He texted me the next day and said there was too much drama; he decided he was going to work on a solo act until “you figure out what you want to do”...but he still wants to show up for gigs and jam as a friend of the band. Ummm.....no again.

Luckily, after a couple weeks of searching, I get a call from one of the best Blues/Rock guitarists and singers in the area. He’s always been a fan of ours and wants to join the band. He came to practice yesterday and we instantly gel’d. He cruised through our Bluegrass & Country material with no problem, and introduced a bunch of hot Rockabilly Blues stuff that was awesome. All we did was follow his lead, and it was like we played with him for years. He was polite, humble, respectful and professional. He also has a ton of connections in the music scene.
    We decided to do a baptism by fire, and I booked 2 gigs today. The first is in 2 weeks, and we may not even get a full practice in before hand.

I don’t imagine he’ll stick with us for long, but he has a good reputation for being dependable. He may turn out to be a mistake. But, we’ll cross that bridge. For now, we’ll see how far we can ride this horse.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

It got pretty nasty. We had a band group text going on, and the lead guitarist went smooth off on him. Needless to say, the band is done for the simple fact that they would have to find a guitarist and a drummer. Guitarist told him we spent too much time practicing, gas money to and from practice, money for lunch, etc only to have a gig canceled then him decide to kill the band. He said we deserved better than that, the singer responded saying he doesn't owe anyone anything, and then it went from there. Oh well, life happens!

User Info Menu

In many ways, I'm glad to be out of the scene. Sometimes the grief out weighs the pleasure of performing. Just don't have the stomach for it any more.

Now a days I just play strictly for the fun of it and at times of my own choosing. Some very good musicians visit our island and we jam.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I agree with kay on this I have been away from the band BS for over 40 years and do not regret it. Life is too short to put up with the drama of band mates so best to stay away.