Thread: How do I prepare my drums after they have sat around for mounths unplayed???

User Info Menu

Exclamation How do I prepare my drums after they have sat around for mounths unplayed???

When a new member of the house moved in we had to sacrifice the music room! Terrible, but the main point is my drums have been untoched in my mums room and I have only had chance to play my eletric it. Now we have had an extension and I we have a new music room! (YEY) The acoustic kit has been set up in there but they sound horrible. I have only really dusted the outside and retuned them, is there anything else I need to do to make them sound better other than buy new skins (because unfortunatley I have to buy them myself and I'm kinda short of cash.)

Shazane Guest

Are they out of tune? I don't know why else they would suddenly sound bad, since I assume your mom's room didn't cause excessive heat or cold damage to them.

User Info Menu

The new room acoustics might be making them sound bad. Be sure there are absorbing materials in the new room. Carpet, drapes, furniture, stuff on the walls, etc.

User Info Menu

I heard that if you take the skins off and clean the inside of the skin aswell as the outside it helps, is that true? Or is it just a waste of time? We haven't yet got a and drapes up and at the moment we have laminate flooring, we are going to get some carpet and replace the laminate flooring. We have drapes to put up but we haven't got round to doing it. Thanks
    Last edited by Andy_TAMA; 12-09-2007 at 03:09 AM.

User Info Menu

Cool

Andy, I think you answered your question with your last post, dude...

It's the opposite of what drummer posted earlier...not enough sound-absorbing material will make your kit sound weird, too...and laminate flooring is particularly bad about amplifying sounds (including the ones you don't want to hear).

This might be your chance to make suggestions on room decor that looks attractive and helps make your kit sound killer...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

1st - Take the heads off and clean the bearing edges & inspect for any damage.

2nd - Make sue all the bolts are tight and secure.

3rd - Inspect the heads, check for damage, if they appear ok, reseat the heads and tune them up, you should be back & ready to go.