Thread: Something Different -- Single Ply Batters

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default Something Different -- Single Ply Batters

I bought three new batter heads from Aquarian that would not fit my old Gretsch Jasper shells.
    I sent them an email and they kindly sent to me three new American Vintage batter heads (free of charge) that will fit old shells.
    (And I got a full refund from the vendor that sold me the other set).

They are 10 mil coated, which I have not used in 40 years, so I'm in an interested state right now trying these out.
    It was also time to put on new resos and I went with clear Ambos (because THEY FIT)................always a good choice.

These new batters are colored cream to look like calf skin.....................I really don't care about that...................I just hope they sound good.
    After playing a few days I will adjust tuning and see if they can sound good.

20180407_083136.jpg
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Something Different -- Single Ply Batters

They look great on your drums.. hope they work out
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    They look great on your drums.. hope they work out
    Thank you, slink.................

So far, not bad.
    I always work on new heads for a couple of weeks, tuning, stretching, retuning, before I make an overall assessment.
    They do not feel weak or spongy to me.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

That is the way customer service should be. Nice! Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

I played a gig last Friday night.........................an outdoor event through a monster PA -- a lot of fun.
    I got a chance to hear the new heads with sound reinforcement and -- as usual -- the 13 and the 15 sound good, while the 18 is problematic.
    The large FT is picky when it comes down to choosing the batter head.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Story continues...............................

Big gig coming up Saturday night......................400 people.
    After waiting on a backorder, I just received three batter heads for my toms -- Remo coated pinstripes.
    They did fit the picky old Jaspers, but just barely.

Again -- the 18 is the problem child -- but overall, the Pinstripes sound better than the Aquarian Vintage single-ply heads.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Get a file and shave them down a hair hahaha j/k

User Info Menu

I have an old ‘69 Ludwig 18” FT....and I’m not looking forward to tuning it. I figured my first head choice will be CS black dots.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I have an old ‘69 Ludwig 18” FT....and I’m not looking forward to tuning it. I figured my first head choice will be CS black dots.
    Better converted to a bass drum. I mistakenly ordered the 18 with my Gretsch set in 83. Never could get the full sound of it as a tom. I don't think I'm a hard enough hitter to really get the full sound of it. Converted it to a kick and never looked back. I think a bop set is what I really wanted but didn't know it back then.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Better converted to a bass drum. I mistakenly ordered the 18 with my Gretsch set in 83. Never could get the full sound of it as a tom. I don't think I'm a hard enough hitter to really get the full sound of it. Converted it to a kick and never looked back. I think a bop set is what I really wanted but didn't know it back then.

all the best...
    Trust me, I’ve contemplated that many times. I’d even cut it down to 18X14. I’d LOVE to have a 12/14/18 Bop kit made from vintage Ludwig shells.

The problem is, I now have a 28x14 bass, 14x10, 16X14 rack toms and a 18x16 floor tom. All made from ‘69 Ludwig 3ply (Maple, poplar, Mahogany) shells with re-rings. I just can’t bring myself to abandon the idea of 14/16/18/28 vintage kit with Orange Citrus Mod wrap.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

update:
    I just got home from the load-in at the club.
    The first thing I test is to make sure the bass drum is rock-solid and will not move.
    So I put the set together and I'm playing around a bit...………………………..
    Then...…………...the two guitar players drop what they are doing and both say...…………"WOW -- those toms sound better !"

I know guitar players can't be trusted (LOL) but, I'm looking for ward to a promising night.
    Maybe -- just maybe -- the coated Pinstripes are the new batter heads I need.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian