Thread: Glad to be back drumming again.

User Info Menu

Default Glad to be back drumming again.

Glad to be back drumming again. It's been awhile. Haven't done any drumming for several months. Didn't even do the talent show this year. In fact today was the first time I got back on the kit and if felt great. I guess I went through alittle stage or alittle depressed. After returning home from Iraq my dream was to be a professional drummer and travel the world which now I feel maybe I'm to old. Funny how life is. Well I am going to try the talent show next year and see if I can make it to the finales. At one point I thought of not ever playing drums and selling everything. Maybe something will work out. Until then I will keep on drumming.

Keep drumming
    Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Glad to be back drumming again.

Keep playing, it is a joy thru life. I just started again after almost 10 years off. Only bought a kit for my kids, to discover I still love playing.

Thanks to YouTube I learned a new foot technique which allowed me to work around a leg injury. I am a bit old to start a new Bon Jovi etc tho, but there are plenty of old geezer rock bands getting around.

User Info Menu

We all have dreams of making it big. The odds for that to happen is against all of us. Just keep drumming, and go out and have fun. If the big call happens, it happens, but none of us can get that call if we aren't out working.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy60 View Post
    Glad to be back drumming again. It's been awhile. Haven't done any drumming for several months. Didn't even do the talent show this year. In fact today was the first time I got back on the kit and if felt great. I guess I went through alittle stage or alittle depressed. After returning home from Iraq my dream was to be a professional drummer and travel the world which now I feel maybe I'm to old. Funny how life is. Well I am going to try the talent show next year and see if I can make it to the finales. At one point I thought of not ever playing drums and selling everything. Maybe something will work out. Until then I will keep on drumming.

Keep drumming
    Gregg
    Hi Gregg, I know what you're saying. I recently took 8 months off from my kit. Joint pain and the arm I broke a year and a half ago was really bothering me, so i stopped playing. Just a couple weeks ago I started back up and it feels great , I just have to monitor my arm and make sure I don't over do it.

Don't sell your drums, I think if you did at some point you would regret it. Play them for you, for your enjoyment. Approach them with no expectations and you will find things come easier. Just sit down at your kit and play what ever you feel like playing ,do that for a while then if there is something specific you want to work on move on to that. I usually just play and have fun for 30 to 60 minutes and then if I'm working on something, I move on to it so my day of drumming doesn't just feel like work. Spend 30 minutes just enjoying your playing and 30 minute with a lesson or what ever amount of time you like.

Stick with it.

User Info Menu

I hope I can play till the day I drop dead.

User Info Menu

Gregg why do you concentrate on the talent show? Try to meet with other drummers, musicians and jam with them or join a band. This way you would not get depressed etc. You have to enjoy life at the fullest after coming back from Iraq which was a bad experience for a lot of soldiers who served your country. Enjoy drumming or try something else that might fulfill your dreams.

User Info Menu

get in band's and play.. anything anywhere... just don't do anything that'll hurt you or get you hurt...

And thank you for your service Gregg !
    Last edited by slinky; 04-20-2018 at 08:58 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN