Thread: I got to do a cool thing for a young drummer

User Info Menu

Default I got to do a cool thing for a young drummer

So I own my own painting business , it's small, just me but I like it that way. This week a did a small job, master bedroom and bathroom. Very nice people. On my last day on the job I loaded my equipment out through their basement it was much easier then the way I went in. I noticed a small no name drum kit over in the corner. It was set up but didn't look very comfortable to play. So I asked the woman about it. She said it was her 13 year old daughters kit. I asked if she was taking lessons and the mom told me she was taking Jazz Band in school.

The mom said her daughter was really into playing and hopes she sticks with it. I told the mom I have been playing for over 40 years and asked if I could take a look at the kit, she said sure. It had all new remo coated heads but I pointed out that the set up looked quite uncomfortable to play. It's a 5 piece kit, 20"kick , snare 10 & 12 toms mounted on the kick and a 14 fl tom. hi-hats , 20" ride and a 16" crash. After tapping on them they were also not tuned at all. So before I left I said talk to your daughter find out if the kit feels good to her the way it is, if so fine but if not give me a call and I'd be happy to come over and help her with some different set up ideas and I'll tune the kit for her.

That evening I got a call and she asked when I was available. I said I could be there the next day after her Daughter gets home from school. So over I went , I brought a few goodies from my supply of extra drum stuff I've accumulated over the years. First I had the young girl sit down and play a bit. I was surprised at how well she played , kept time very well but did have some problem with the fills because of the way the toms were set up.

So I said ok first lets get these things tuned up. I loosened up all the heads , top and bottom and showed her how to tune the drums one at a time. Once the kit was in tune I said after watching you play I have an idea for a set up. I went out to my car and grabbed a heavy duty cymbal stand and a mounting clamp (her stand was small and single braced) I wanted to mount the 16" crash and 10" to on the same stand so I wanted something a bit beefier. So got the 10" tom and 16" crash on the stand , moved the 12" tom over so it was the only tom mounted on the kick, this allowed us to move the ride in closer and a bit lower then she had it. Raised the hi-hats a bit, she had then almost as low as the snare.

Once everything was in place I said give it a try. She sat down started playing , it was odd for her at first but after a few minutes she was doing fine. She got around the kit much more fluidly then before. Fills were consistent and in time with the beat she was playing. Next I noticed some struggling with the kick, her foot technique. I had her get up and took a look at the pedal. I have no idea what make it was but it was falling apart. Again I went out to my car. I had a slightly used Pearl Powershifter Eliminator single pedal that has been hanging around my basement for years so I brought that in and set it up for her and let her try it. Again there was quite a difference in her playing. Kick was stronger and more consistent.

I went back out to my car one last time and brought in a 16" wuhan china. I said to her , we can't leave that old stand we replace unused can we? And put the wuhan on it and explained to her that this cymbal can be used anyway she sees fit but I like to use them as more of a accent cymbal. I was getting ready to leave and her mom and dad came down and thanked me , their daughter showed them the china and pedal. As I was heading for the door the mom said don't forget your pedal and cymbal, I said oh no those are not mine anymore she will put them to good use. The dad tried to give me money for them and I said nonsense, you just gave me employment painting in your home and it was a joy to help out a young drummer. She's doing me a favor getting them out of my basement.

I told the daughter if she has any questions or if there is some drum part she is struggling with to give me a shout and I'd be glad to help out. It was a very good feeling I had driving home. That young drummer was smiling from cheek to cheek after we made those changes to her kit. I hope she grows up and becomes the next popular female drummer.... Who knows.

User Info Menu

Default Re: I got to do a cool thing for a young drummer

Very cool story.

User Info Menu

Now that is just great! You earned your good deed of the day boy scout badge for sure!

User Info Menu

Cool story. Trading extra drum gear and expertise for giving a young drummer the feeling of playing well on better equipment is always a winner in my book!

User Info Menu

Awesome brother.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

I agree that was a great deed.

User Info Menu

That is a great thing you did, something that will stay with her for life.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

You rock dude! Way to go!

User Info Menu

Good job Bro, way to pay it forward!

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    You earned your good deed of the day boy scout badge for sure!
    Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    That is a great thing you did, something that will stay with her for life.
    Agree with the two drummers above.
    Watching an experienced drummer (properly) set up a kit and (properly) tune the drums is valuable stuff for a youngster.
    In addition, as the parents figure out what the pedal and cymbal likely cost you, they will be impressed.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Yeah, that has to make you feel good.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Very nice story. Great memories to come for all involved.
    I may be biased, but I think drummers are the best!

User Info Menu

Awesome customer service!

User Info Menu

Very kind of you. The world needs more people with that attitude.

User Info Menu

You did the right thing and were lucky to be in a position to do so. I've doe things like this over the years, and its just sharing what you have to help make the world a better place!