Thread: Help!

User Info Menu

Default Help!

Hello everyone!

So a quick back story. All of my previous kits I’ve played have had Tom sizes 8, 10 and 14 for the toms. I like that bright, cutting, resonant sound I got from those sizes.

Well I decided to go totally different to change things up after taking a 3 yr break from playing and ordered a kit in 24x14, 13x9 and 16x16.
    Love the drums, but I am just having a really hard time getting the sound I’m after(maybe used to) out of the toms? The kick tuned up quick and sounds AMAZING!!

If I tune then down, to me they sound dead, just a thud and I want more sustain and resonance.
    If I tune them up, then I get weird mid rangy overtones that I hate.
    Also I get the 13” to sound amazing when I hold it, as soon as I put it in the stand it just dies?
    I’ve tried everything and just can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong?
    Right now I have a clear G1 on the resos and Coated G2 on the batters.
    The shells are thin 7ply maple shells with no reinforcements rings and they are the pdp concept maple classics.

Please help me out!!
    FILL YOUR LIFE WITH INSPIRATION TO INSPIRE

DW Collectors - Paragon - Vic Firth -

User Info Menu

Default Re: Help!

If you are looking for brighter sounds you may want to swap to a single ply.
    But also a 13, 16 is a huge combo difference than what you mentioned 8, 10, 14

User Info Menu

My experience with the Concept Maples were similar. They just sounded a little dull.
    I would ditch the coated heads and go with clear G2. You may even want to try single ply.

Mounting a tom in a snare stand can definitely effect the resonance of the bottom head. Also, the wood hoops may reduce the resonance and give it more of a controlled sound. I’m thinking what you have is a cumulative effect: softer Asian maple, 2ply coated heads, heavy wood hoops and stand mounting.
    As a trial, try tuning the top and bottom heads to the same pitch. That will maximize resonance.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    My experience with the Concept Maples were similar. They just sounded a little dull.
    I would ditch the coated heads and go with clear G2. You may even want to try single ply.

Mounting a tom in a snare stand can definitely effect the resonance of the bottom head. Also, the wood hoops may reduce the resonance and give it more of a controlled sound. I’m thinking what you have is a cumulative effect: softer Asian maple, 2ply coated heads, heavy wood hoops and stand mounting.
    As a trial, try tuning the top and bottom heads to the same pitch. That will maximize resonance.
    Thank you! I actually have a brand new set of clear G1 so I will give that a shot, if not they may just not be what I’m after and may return them. I even checked the bearing edges and roundness to make sure there wasn’t an issue, but there both fine.

I want them to sing like the kick drum does and there just not and I’m getting a little bummed about it

Thanks for your suggestion and I will hope for the best

User Info Menu

Spazapproved and N2Bluz I took your advise and changed the heads over to clear G1’s and holy moly the difference is night and day!
    The attack is there, the sustain is there and they just sing to me and it’s music to my ears!!
    My only issue now is, I don’t prefer the look of clear heads on this kit, but that what I had right now, so I’m hoping the Coated G1 produce the same results but add a little more warmth to them!

Thanks guys(or gals) for your advise and help!!

User Info Menu

Keep in mind that what you hear behind the drums isn't what people 30' in front of you hear.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Keep in mind that what you hear behind the drums isn't what people 30' in front of you hear.
    Hopefully it better! Not sure how to tune for that?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DWdrumr View Post
    Hopefully it better! Not sure how to tune for that?
    You tune to the acoustics of where you are playing.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I don't know if Evans has a comparable product, but you could get smooth whites from Remo.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi