Thread: Is there a difference between a click and a metronome?

User Info Menu

Default Is there a difference between a click and a metronome?

I hear people say they play to a click live and practice with a metronome, is there a difference? Would you play live with a Tama rhythm watch metronome? I tried practicing with a band to a metronome one time and wow it was basaaaad But I could not tell who was responsible for it being so far off? Is it always the drummers fault?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Is there a difference between a click and a metronome?

Play to click live ? .....................like through headphones ?
    Seems amateurish. I wouldn't like it.
    One of my percussion professors at music school would say we don't need no stinking click -- we are the click.

I've had reason to use a click track at studio gigs before (I avoid that too, if possible).
    Sometimes a tricky song construction will require it.
    At one studio I worked in for a few songs, the drum booth had the option of using a strobe light for the meter..................I liked it better.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Well I assume if you have iem’s you could probably do that but I was thinking just using the light on metronome to play by....
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

There is a band here in town that is four guys................two guitars, bass and drums.
    But they use all this "piped-in" stuff.............you'll hear horns, strings, keyboards, secondary percussion, backing vox, etc.
    The drummer is wearing phones and is the only guy that hears the programming/entries...............he has to start every song so the rest of the band will follow the program.
    That would drive me nuts on various levels......................
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I think everyone knows my feelings on metronomes. They make great paperweights.

If you start a song at 100 BPM and finish at 104 BPM, nobody in the crowd will notice. If you finish at 115 BPM, find another instrument to play because you are not drummer material.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

There was a big debate on the MyDrumset Facebook page about this yesterday. Guys who have been playing for many years typically say clicks arent needed, while newer drummers say they are mandatory, and you have to play both in the studio and live with them.

I play a lot of blues. I'm yet to see a major blues act play to a click in a live setting.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

I played for one of those bands that had additions to music.
    We played to a click track in my ear piece and I indeed also had to count off the songs so we all align.

I feel the hardest part was I focused more on keeping right on time then I did just playing.

User Info Menu

Good luck to anyone trying to play Stevie Ray Vaughan on a click track. I hope you can change BPM in the middle of the song lol
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

They are like a seeing eye dog for the blind.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I think everyone knows my feelings on metronomes. They make great paperweights.

If you start a song at 100 BPM and finish at 104 BPM, nobody in the crowd will notice. If you finish at 115 BPM, find another instrument to play because you are not drummer material.
    So it is always the drummers fault? If I finish at 106 am I a drummer? whats the cut off of how far off you can be? .. You know according to Rick?
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    So it is always the drummers fault? If I finish at 106 am I a drummer? whats the cut off of how far off you can be? .. You know according to Rick?
    It's not always the drummer. Sometimes the guitar player gets a little quick while taking a solo, if you try to bring him/her back, then the song sounds like it's dragging. If you move up a bit, nobody will notice.

As for the "cut off" point, I'll paraphrase something a judge said: "I can't tell you where it is, but I'll know it when I feel it".

"A metronome only provides a fixed, rigid, relentless pulse. Therefore, metronome markings on sheet music provide a reference, but cannot accurately communicate the pulse, swing, or groove of music. The pulse is often irregular,[30] e.g., in accelerando, rallentando, or in musical expression as in phrasing (rubato, etc.).

Some argue that a metronomic performance stands in conflict with an expressive culturally-aware performance of music, so that a metronome is in this respect a very limited tool. Even such highly rhythmical musical forms as Samba, if performed in correct cultural style, cannot be captured with the beats of a metronome.[31][32] A style of performance that is unfailingly regular rhythmically might be criticized as being "metronomic." (Wikipedia)

Many notable composers, including Felix Mendelssohn, Richard Wagner, Giuseppe Verdi and Johannes Brahms, criticised use of the metronome."

If you feel that you can't keep a beat within given parameters, i.e. BPM's, then, by all means get a 'nome of some type.

When Buddy comes back in at the end of West Side Story, you can feel the band move it up a notch to keep up with him.

If they had a 'nome on him, he was probably at your 106 mark, but, I think it's fair to say that Buddy was a drummer.

Don't sweat the small poop. I never counted to 4 outside of 1st grade, and I did OK for myself.

(the video is only about 4 1/2 minutes)

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I played live using a click track for 4 years. The reason was because we didn't have a bass player and all the bass parts were programmed by the keyboard player on a sequencer. In order to stay in time with the sequencer a click was necessary. I quickly learned that it was possible to push and pull the click , to play around it so the music still had a natural feel. If you've seen any of the videos I've posted you will notice there is no bass player. With a full band I would see no reason to use one.

To answer the question in my experience a Click track is usually used with pre programmed music parts and it's provided by whatever the music is programmed on. A metronome is an adjustable time keeping tool used for practice. I have a metronome app on my phone that I'm using now to get my double kick stamina built back up as well as hand speed. It's also fun to play to odd time signatures , opens up the creativity. Sometimes I also like to just keep time along with it playing a nice groove and adding different experimental fills. I like it as a practice tool but again really no need to use it live.
    Last edited by NPYYZ; 04-20-2018 at 05:27 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    I played live using a click track for 4 years. The reason was because we didn't have a bass player and all the bass part were programmed by the keyboard player on a sequencer. In order to stay in time with the sequencer a click was necessary. I quickly learned that it was possible to push and pull the click , to play around it so the music still had a natural feel. If you've seen any of the videos I've posted you will notice there is no bass player. With a full band I would see no reason to use one.

To answer the question in my experience a Click track is usually used with pre programmed music parts and it's provided by whatever the music is programmed on. A metronome is an adjustable time keeping tool used for practice. I have a metronome app on my phone that I'm using now to get my double kick stamina built back up as well as hand speed. It's also fun to play to odd time signatures , opens up the creativity. Sometimes I also like to just keep time along with it playing a nice groove and adding different experimental fills. I like them as a practice tool but again really no need to use it live.
    I would be willing to bet that somewhere between 70% and 80% of the "pros" that say they use 1, probably don't. I watched a video a while back by 1 of (supposedly) the great drummers of the last 30 years or so was "giving a lesson" on how to hold the sticks, both traditional and match grip. I went and looked a 3-4 of his videos playing with a group and he DID NOT hold the sticks the way he did in the instructional video. It's the old "do as I say, not as I do" crap.

Most drummers aren't going to go more than -2 or +3 BPM in a song, and nobody will know. If I count every gig I've played since 1961 (church dance's, birthday party's) it probably is well over 10-12K gigs and I've yet to see anybody bring a 'nome to a club and time a band.

Too many drummers take it way too seriously, rudiments, 'nomes, instructional DVD's that say the same thing that 10 guys before him said just in a slightly different way. I'm waiting for someone to come out with Calculus and Analytical Geometry for drum set.

I lived by 2 very simple rules:

Listen to the music, it will always tell you what to do.

Keep the customer satisfied.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

We use a click at church in our in ear monitors. There are also vocal cues we hear. "Chorus 2, 3, 4..." "Drum solo 2, 3, 4..." Etc.

And I would say it's absolutely necessary in this setting. Typically there are 7-8 of us on stage playing instruments. We learn 5 or so new songs every week. Run through them once or twice the Wednesday before Sunday service and then one more time early Sunday morning. The click and cues help everyone stay together.

In my country band we've never used one and I can assure you there are times we've sped up more than 4 bpm from start to finish. It isn't always the drummer and I'd say it's never wrong. We go where the song and crowd energy lead us. And believe or not, people compliment us and even me specifically, despite the fact (according to Rick) that I shouldn't be a drummer. Lol.

User Info Menu

They're good to count in a song and that's about it for me
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN