Thread: Insurance

User Info Menu

Default Insurance

I'm looking into getting insurance on my gear, but I really don't know where to begin. Do any of you guys have any suggestions?
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Insurance

Homeowners should cover it at home. My buddy wrecked his pickup on the way to a gig with his vintage Gretsch kit in back. One of the toms was damaged and his auto insurance actually covered it.

I have no idea where to get specific insurance that would cover it at a gig or theft at a motel parking lot out of a gig trailer. I know that kind of stuff seems to be happening more often around here. I would probably start by asking my insurance agent that covers my house & cars.
    I always figured that my stuff (even my new drums) are not valuable enough to warrant spending additional money to insure. I suppose the street value of everything I take to a gig (drums, bags, hardware & cymbals) would be about $1500. In contrast, my brothers ‘74 Rick bass alone is probably worth 2x that.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Back when I was playing out I used the company my parents had their home insured with. They created a special policy that covered damage and theft when the kit was on the road or in a club. I gave them a full written out description of my complete kit with all the serial numbers and the kit was covered for full replacement cost. I can't remember how much it cost me per year but I know it wasn't a lot , but that was back in the late 70's and all of the 80's. Check around you will find a company that will insure it. Today my kit is covered under my homeowners policy , it never leaves the house but if I did start playing out again it would still be covered. Same deal , they have a list of my equipment with serial numbers of the drums.

User Info Menu

I'm in insurance. You want to call you homeowners/renters company and see what's covered and at what amount. There are also specialty companies for music. Shop around!

User Info Menu

I use ION and so far very good

User Info Menu

I had an estimator come out and look at all of my gear.
    I have it all insured special in case of whatever may happen.

I have way more invested in drums than my home owner insurance would ever cover on it's own.
    Last edited by SpazApproved; 05-15-2018 at 09:06 AM.