Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Snare Selection

User Info Menu

Default New Snare Selection

I currently have a Pearl Free Float 3.5 x 14 snare and a vintage Yamaha 7 x 14 steel snare. I recently bought a Pork Pie Patina 7 x 13 and ended up returning it. Love the look and loved the sound in the store, but at home I couldn't get this drum to sound as good as my Pearl FF. I realize they're different drums, but both are brass and tuned both on the higher side which is what I like.

I play in a funk band and a grateful dead (type) band. Been using the Pearl for funk and old Yamaha for dead band. Given that I have and love those 2 snares, perhaps my third snare should be something different. I've been considering the DW Design Black Nickel over Brass 5.5 x 14 or maybe a used DW Collectors 5 x 14 or 6.5 x 14. Also, the Tama SLP babinga. But, not played any of these yet.

I'll be using with a Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute kit and a Gretsch Ronown kit. I'll likely continue be using the Pearl FF with the funk band, so the new one will likely go with the Dead band. Maybe I should mix things up and go for a wood shell, as I've never had one on a snare. However, I do love the loud cracks I get from brass. I've heard that aluminum has lots of crack but less over-ring, which sounds interesting.

Any recommendations? My max budget is $350.

Thanks very much...
    Sam

User Info Menu

Default Re: New Snare Selection

best snare drum hands down you should try... Make my top 3 list and I'll never get rid of it. Such an AWESOME snare.

Tama G-Maple

User Info Menu

Beautiful looking snare. Is that a 7 x 13?

I'm going to a drum show this weekend with cash in my pocket. I hope to play one of those ...

User Info Menu

that is a 7x13 which is my current favorite size.

Just drive on over to WI and you can try it out here lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    best snare drum hands down you should try... Make my top 3 list and I'll never get rid of it. Such an AWESOME snare.

Tama G-Maple
    What are the other 2 on your top 3 list?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fpmr96a View Post
    Beautiful looking snare. Is that a 7 x 13?

I'm going to a drum show this weekend with cash in my pocket. I hope to play one of those ...
    That's one snare I've been looking at for a long time! hope to get one soon. Right now I have enough drum projects going right now. Listen to Zack get one! you won't be sorry. Tama's SLP series snare drums are Killer!

User Info Menu

Find an old B/O badge Acrolite. Use the extra $200 to buy beer.

Might also consider a new Black Magic.

I’m another fan of deep 13” snares. They give a deep sound yet are more comfortable for me to put between my thighs.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

The Tama SLP drums are great for the money. Another option would be looking for a used Ludwig Supraphonic. Those drums seem to fit into whatever situation you but them in. You should be able to find a used one for around $300.

There are so many great options out there. Just find one you like, and then start drooling over the next one to add to the collection.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Find an old B/O badge Acrolite. Use the extra $200 to buy beer.

Might also consider a new Black Magic.

I’m another fan of deep 13” snares. They give a deep sound yet are more comfortable for me to put between my thighs.
    Alright, Black Magics are good. I love my 13X7 w/ a 3 pos. dunnett style throw on it, in black. Came with a black snare butt on it, but I replaced it with a black chrome (nickel) on that I happened to have laying around. It matches the snare perfectly. Good call Brian.

User Info Menu

that is a 7x13 which is my current favorite size.

Just drive on over to WI and you can try it out here lol

Tama G-Maple
    Think this lightly colored snare will look ok with my Piano Black Gretsch Renown kit?

User Info Menu

Not gonna lie, I like wood snares when other people play them, but I never like them when I am playing. I almost rarely use my collectors snare. I am biased to brass snares myself. But not all brass snares are alike. I hate my dynasonic. But I will never part with my pacific hammered brass. :shrug:

Aluminum snares sound weird to me. Another instance of I like when other people use them, but for me, I never dig them when playing.

Something to keep in mind, is heads play a big role in how the drum sounds. I really like my vintage ambassador on my hammered brass.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Do you think the S.L.P. G-Maple would look good with my piano black Gretsch Renown kit? I don’t like matching snares, but Might be too much contrast. I’m used to switching between a brass snare and steel snare which go with all 3 of my kits.

User Info Menu

Heck yeah. Black goes with anything. Besides, no one can see the snare on stage except you...and you’ll be to busy playing to notice.
    However, everyone notices the sound.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I bought a G-Maple today and love it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Sam

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fpmr96a View Post
    I bought a G-Maple today and love it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Sam
    I'm jealous. . . . . .enjoy!

User Info Menu

I bought it at a drum show and narrowed down selections to this G-Maple and a Gretsch 2004 New Classic series maple 7 x 14 that was brand new (somenow). The gretsch sounded and looked great, but the G-Maple had more bite. Hmmmm, now I wish I bought both.

User Info Menu

Are you still liking the sound of the G Maple? Do you like it better than the sound of your metal snare drums?

User Info Menu

My brass ff 6.5x14 is still my favorite... and my Yamaha copper is a very close second... trying to get it dialed in for the sound I want..

You could try to find a wood shell to put in your ff basket and see if you like it. I use to play my brothers 60's Ludwig piccolo wood snare when i was beginning to play and it was ok. It's a 13x3 or something like that.

Deeper wood sounds pretty cool but I'm more into metals.
    Last edited by slinky; 05-13-2018 at 05:50 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

i'm glad to hear you went with my recommendation! That snare is just killer!!!

User Info Menu

I have the SLP G-Maple snare! Upon discovery, you'd be forgiven for believing it would be a one-trick pony (small diameter, heavy shell), but it's really quite versatile! I like it best with a medium to medium-high tuning, with that commanding rimshot, but it can do a deep ballad 'boosh' sound really nicely also!
    '13 Mapex Saturn (pre-Saturn IV)
    Zildjian A Custom, Zildjian K and Zultan Caz cymbals
    Shure, Oktava and Telefunken USA microphones

User Info Menu

Ut, oh. I feel gassy.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I've been drooling over that G-Maple for almost 2 yrs. now. I have a 7X13 Paduak shell in my closet for the past 3 yrs. or so that needs attention right now. I'm gathering hardware for it now. I need a gloss clear coat on it first.DSC01364.jpg

User Info Menu

Now that's what I like to see!!

User Info Menu

Thanks much, Zack! I am going w/the nickel Mag throw off and the 3 pos. snare butt.

User Info Menu

"Find an old B/O badge Acrolite. Use the extra $200 to buy beer."

"Might also consider a new Black Magic."

Looking back over posts made over the years that I've been putting up videos, I've had a fair amount of compliments on the sound of my drums. I've also received a decent amount of compliments on the sound of my snare. The odd thing is that most of the compliments on my snare sound came when I was using either the Acrolite (B&O badge) or the Supralite, both of which are fairly cheap snare drums. Considering that I've used a Black Beauty Super Sensitive, a Black Magic, and a DynaSonic, in most of my videos, it just tells me that it's the tuning and not the snare itself that makes the difference.

I do have the Black Panther, which I don't use at all. Outside of the throw off, I just don't like the drum.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS