Thread: Practice Kit Options

User Info Menu

Default Practice Kit Options

Hello, This is my first post on Drum Chat! I have been Drumming for about 10 months. I started out with a Roland TD-11KV and watched (still do) all kinds of drum instruction videos. I try to practice every day using a practice pad ,but mostly I just like to play songs. About 6 months ago I purchased a Gretsch Renown 57 and some Sabian Cymbals. I really enjoy playing the acoustic set. I would play on the Roland typically later in the evening(noise ) and the more I played on the Gretsch the less I played on the Roland. The reasons will be obvious to everyone I'm sure. The main issues I had with the Roland are , didn't like the High Hat(just pedal, no VH-11) and the Cymbal sounds were not very good IMO. On the plus side ,the drum sound was good but.... I definitely sounded better while playing ,but that really didn't carry over to the acoustic kit.So, yesterday I sold it.
    I would like some input on putting together a practice kit. What I'm leaning towards is a small kit, Ludwig Breakbeats(Played it) or Pearl Midtown(Only seen in Videos) with Sabian Quiet Tone Cymbals(Tried the Zildjian LV80's) and RTom heads. I want to be able to have a reduced volume set up so I can play in the evenings etc. I have no noise issues but I would like to be respectful to my neighbours in the evening hours. I know could set up the Renowns with the reduced volume but I just don't want to keep switching back and fourth . Does this sound like a reasonable idea? I tossed around the idea of perhaps a better Roland kit (Td-25 kv) but other than a more realistic HH I think it will be more the same as what I had.
    I would like hear some opinions. Thanks in advance.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Practice Kit Options

I’m a big fan of small kits. If volume is the main concern, a small kit will not help much. They can be deceiving in terms of sound. Something like a Sonor Martini would be your best bet for sound control. In fact, I play the majority of my band’s indoor gigs on a Sound Percussion Street Bop kit....and we have 4 guitars going. Not being heard has never been a problem. The smaller sizes are more punchy and seem to project deceivingly well. Add some mics, and they’re just as formidable as a full size kit. Here’s a pic of my typical gig setup;
    0649597A-24DE-49FB-AA6E-3EC515D6B66E.jpg
    1928FCA9-4632-46D2-B515-F818E21FEFA1.jpg
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

You might laugh, but my practice kit is a real feel pad on an Acrolite snare mounted on a snare stand, a Gibraltar kick pad with a DW 5000 attached to it, a Tama Road Pro hi hat stand, and L-80 14" hats, 16" crash, and 18" ride. I have a Billy Blast mesh head on the snare so that I can remove the pad and work on it too. I can do everything that I need to do including learning songs for my Rock band. The cymbals are great and transitioning from them to my real cymbals at gig time is not a problem.

I also have a Roland E-kit that I have set up at our practice space and my gigging kit is a Ludwig CM 4 piece.

User Info Menu

I been thinking of getting something similar except I really do not want to go smaller than a 20" kick. I been looking and researching the Nfuzd audio Nspire kit, as well as a pearl epro. I would also consider a Roland but to get the look and feel of an acoustic kit is really big bucks so I am searching used as well. Pearl was making an export with electronic heads but I think they have all been discontinued.

I would recommend you try to play the zildjian and Sabian quiet cymbals before purchasing. IMO the sabians really sound horrible.
    Sonor Essential Force Birch

Mapex Saturn V

Zildjian K and Stagg DH Cymbals

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing.

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO