Thread: Jeep Commander , anyone?

User Info Menu

Default Jeep Commander , anyone?

I figured I'd take a shot and see if anyone here owns or has owned a Jeep Commander. My van is near the end and I'm looking for a decent truck/suv type vehicle to get me through to retirement. My mechanic has a 2006 Jeep Commander 3.7L V6 Qudra Trac 1 full time 4 wheel drive, 120,000 miles on it. History record is clean , recalls have been done. I've done a bunch of research online but I'd like to hear from someone that has owned one if any of you have , or if anyone has some good car knowledge and knows about these Jeeps. Took it for a test drive ran great at city and highway speeds, very clean. Going to make a final decision on Monday May 30th. Also I'm considering this vehicle because my budget is around $6000.00 and this Jeep is in range.
    Thanks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Jeep Commander , anyone?

The price sounds right as for mileage well it is normal driving of 10,000 miles a year. You test drove it and it is clean then I would go for it. If it has a V6 then you will be ok. Nice size vehicle for hauling gear. Good luck
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 04-27-2018 at 09:02 AM.

User Info Menu

Every Jeep I've owned (three of them) has been a gas guzzler. No more.

User Info Menu

I'd look into a late model Honda Pilot. Oh, wait, I did. Anything between an '05 and '13 will get you a good vehicle with a lot of life left.

I've had an '05 (bought used in '11) and have had zero problems other than normal upkeep and maintenance. At 110K I replaced the timing chain (recommended) and that's been it other than oil changes. V-6 gets great mileage and the back end will hold many drum sets, lights and small PA. Ask how I know. lol
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Every Jeep I've owned (three of them) has been a gas guzzler. No more.
    Yes this Jeep is not great on gas 16 city , 22 highway but it's still better then my van.

User Info Menu

I’m not a big Jeep/Chrysler/FIAT fan. Some of those Jeep models were quite problematic, however, the Commander seems to get good ratings. I had a Dodge Ram company truck with the 3.7L V6....I was very impressed with it. Awesome power for a V6 and no issues. It got 19mpg highway, which was good for a full size 1/2 ton pickup.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I will say this now....bass player in our band was headed home on Thursday night and was T-boned at an intersection at a pretty high rate of speed. He was driving a Commander. Had to be cut out of the vehicle. Walked away with nary a scratch. Our vocalist was a couple of car lengths behind him and witnessed the whole thing. Said nobody should have walked away from that crash. Point being? Guess it's a very safe vehicle.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    I will say this now....bass player in our band was headed home on Thursday night and was T-boned at an intersection at a pretty high rate of speed. He was driving a Commander. Had to be cut out of the vehicle. Walked away with nary a scratch. Our vocalist was a couple of car lengths behind him and witnessed the whole thing. Said nobody should have walked away from that crash. Point being? Guess it's a very safe vehicle.
    Wow sorry to hear that, glad all were ok. I think I'm going to buy the Jeep this week. Thanks for the input everyone.

User Info Menu

my fiancé worked at a jeep/dodge dealership for years as the finance manager.
    We've had several Jeeps...
    She now drives a Honda and loves it haha Much better on gas mileage.

Now me however... I'm looking into a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 for a new killer dad mobile.

User Info Menu

Bought the Jeep yesterday. It's nice to have a legal vehicle again. My van has not had an inspection sticker since 2015. Now I start saving up for some customization's. I want to add a grill guard, running boards, and some black rims.
    Untitled by Joe Dee, on Flickr

User Info Menu

Nice!!!

User Info Menu

I agree nice looking machine man. Very good shape for it's year. Congrats and many years of fun with it.

User Info Menu

After two weeks of driving back and forth to work I'm getting 19 MPG on fuel , non highway driving. Better than I was expecting. This Jeep has a button you press and it tells you your MPG , how many miles you can go with the remaining fuel you have , how many miles until your next service is due, and some other info. I've owned work vehicles my entire life, either trucks or vans so this is the first decent vehicle I've owned, got some great features and it's the first with a good sound system!!!