Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christian rock band

User Info Menu

Default Christian rock band

So I have given a lot of thought to my musical journey and have hooked up with a group of people to start a Christian rock band. We will begin with covers and hope to write our own material.

For anyone who may listen to Christian rock we are going to do some Third Day, Jeremy Camp, Casting Crowns, Kutless, Crowder, etc.

I've played in a band with the bass player, and the lead guitarist is my wife's cousin. We added a keyboard player/vocalist today, and are looking for one more guitar player/vocalist.

I'm looking forward to this journey. I began with a gospel group and won some awards with it when I was a teen. I guess you can say I'm getting back to my roots with this band.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Christian rock band

May God give you the players and places you need. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

That's awesome DrumWhipper. I'd like to do the exact same thing. I'm playing mostly on my church's praise team these days. And almost exclusively on bass.

Great band selection you got there. Some of my favorites. I also really like Skillet. Just saw them for the second time last week.

Good luck with it!

User Info Menu

Recently, I have been thinking of doing the same. Best of luck to you and your worship band ...

User Info Menu

Good for you! I’ve toyed with the idea myself. My biggest issue is I really don’t care for the majority of the music I hear. Casting Crowns is awesome, but it’s not something I feel Would translate to my style. I love some of the older Bluegrass and vintage country gospel stuff, however. My band currently does covers of Pickin’ to beat the Devil, Fly Away Home and occasionally Uncloudy Day. Not exactly bar-band material, but we like doing them.

I can definitely see myself playing the modern Johnny Cash, Billy Joe Shaver (my favorite) Vince Gill...stuff like that.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I was chastised, years ago by members of this forum, (in jest, I must admit) for admitting I played guitar in a contemporary christian rock band for my church. Our praise service was Sunday morning from 8-noon. (early rehearsal and service.) I had played drums first and when the pastors' son wanted to take over the drums I was asked by the pastor if I wanted to play lead guitar since he knew I still tinkered with one. I'd been writing songs with keyboard and guitar at that time and it was a great proposition for me.

I learned a lot about how that music is written and how magnificent it was to play and enjoyed it up until my surgery when I lost a lot of my left arm coordination and playing guitar was more difficult. I'd lost a lot of the sensation in my fingers and had to retrain my muscle memory. I was pretty much down for the count and could barely hold a drum stick for very long.

Anyway, if I had the opportunity, I would love to be your guitarist. I really miss playing. I'm better since rehab so I could get back to it if an opportunity arose. Got my drumming back, anyhow.

Good luck to you and don't let this opportunity pass.
    Last edited by Bish; 05-20-2018 at 11:28 AM.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I had a student who said his parents only let him listen to music of Christian roots.

So I taught him, Devil Driver and Demon Hunter haha
    We had a great time playing Christian metal until his mom had a talk with me.
    I said I didn't break any of your rules.. you said Christian and they are Christian Metal bands \m/

User Info Menu

A couple of things that led to my decision include the fact that I was raised playing this kind of music. I had my most success playing this kind of music. I'm not saying there can't and won't be drama with a Christian band, but you don't have the bar room drama from crazy drunks trying to come on stage, bar owners trying to stiff you, etc. I may not make as much money and I may only play for "love offerings", but I feel more a peace doing this than I do anything else.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Do what you feel is right. If you’re using your talents to glorify, isn’t that what we’re supposed to do as Christians?
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Do what you feel is right. If you’re using your talents to glorify, isn’t that what we’re supposed to do as Christians?
    Absolutely.

User Info Menu

Question.

I've always wondered...

Why there can't be a Christian big band or jazz band or R&B or a folk band or classical quintet etc...etc....?

Why does all the Christian music (at least that I've heard) have to center around that totally cheesy keyboard sound and "breathy" vocalists?

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Question.

I've always wondered...

Why there can't be a Christian big band or jazz band or R&B or a folk band or classical quintet etc...etc....?

Why does all the Christian music (at least that I've heard) have to center around that totally cheesy keyboard sound and "breathy" vocalists?

all the best...
    There can be and there is. There are multiple styles of Christian music. Where I live Christian rock, Southern gospel, Christian rap, and regular praise and worship songs are king.

My first gig as a Christian artist was backing up a sax player who is called "The Kenny G of Gospel Music." I played in front of 30k in Nashville with him.

User Info Menu

That's terrific. It's always satisfying when you find something that makes you happy. Enjoy!!

User Info Menu

Question.

I've always wondered...

all the best...
    While not one of the genres you listed, go to youtube and search this. For King and Country - Fix My Eyes. Incredible group and HIGHLY percussive. I saw them live a few weeks ago and by far one of the best concerts I've ever been to. There's about 8 of them in the group and they are really hard to keep up with. Always moving and switching instruments. Lots of drums and percussion.

DrumWhipper - I'm excited for you man.

User Info Menu

That's great. I guess that stuff never makes it onto Christian radio.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Question.

I've always wondered...

all the best...
    I would assume what most defines Christian music is the lyrical content. Is that correct ? Promoting music the basis of the words moreso than what the music sounds like, seems like a tricky proposition to me. But apparently people have figured out how to do it.

User Info Menu

It’s funny how many people pay little to no attention to the lyrics in secular music. Half of them don’t even know all the words to classic rock songs they’ve heard 1000 times. Yet, people can identify a Christian song just by hearing 2 measures of an instrumental.
    Bands like U2 and Creed had success blending secular style music with faith based lyrics, but they weren’t what I would consider outwardly Christian based lyrics.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Here is one of the first song we are working on.

User Info Menu

Good stuff. Guy’s vocals kinda remind me of Chris Stapleton. I could definitely get into that. You’ll have a blast!
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Another one we are doing

User Info Menu

We are playing "All My Hope" at church Sunday. I am hoping to get a Christian band together soon. My son is a great bass player, but of course we need other musicians. Also, I can song OK on some songs, but the other musicians need to be able to sing. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

Question.

I've always wondered...

all the best...
    I couldn't agree more!! I have been thinking about and kind of loosely assembling song ideas for a Christian Funk band. MercyMe meets Parlament/ Funkadelic kind of upbeat positive Christian lyrics in a "Here Come the Mummies" high energy show. My concept is a 9 or 10pc band: Lead Guitarist/ Lead Vocalist 1, Bass Guitar/ Lead Vocalist 2, Keyboards, Rhythm Guitarist, Latin percussionist, Kit Drummer, trumpet, saxophone, trombone, maybe another sax (bari)?.
    Everybody sings backup where required. I have a band name, stage layout, light rig and PA system planned. The hold up is finding 8 or 9 other talented musicians that are also 100% down with the project/ concept. Someday....
    Cut it large and kick it into place!

User Info Menu

Do some people get turned off by a rock band labeling itself Christian?

It's like the opposite of a band labeling itself as satanic.

What are the benefits of doing either?
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Do some people get turned off by a rock band labeling itself Christian?

It's like the opposite of a band labeling itself as satanic.

What are the benefits of doing either?
    Not at all. At the end of the day if you want to play Christian based music festivals, etc., you have to label yourself as such. It's no different than labeling your band as a rock band, country band, blues band, etc to a club owner while trying to get gigs

User Info Menu

Good point DW, hope that's ok to shorten your screen name down
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN