Thread: Thinking of Taking the E-kit plunge

User Info Menu

Default Thinking of Taking the E-kit plunge

Been debating it for awhile, I have 3 acoustic kits now (Pearl export, Sonor essential Birch, Mapex Meridian) but need to have something I can play just about anytime. I am in 2 bands now and the new one has been pushing me to play an e-kit, they have one set up at their practice place that is gorgeous Roland TD-50kvs or something. It has real acoustic drum shells and I am really starting to get used to it.

This is not my 1st time trying it, I bought a Roland TD-8kv or something like that a few years ago and returned it after 2 weeks. I just could not get used to the smallish heads and feel. Now I am thinking of going big, There are 2 roland used kits for sale here one is a TD-20 and the other is a TD 30, The TD-20 heads are actually 10, 12, where as the TD-30 is 10, 10.. I believe the snares are both 12's as well and they both have movable hi hats which is another thing I hated about my 1st e-kit which was just a pedal and crappy cymbal.

Trying to stick to a $3500 budget and now am looking at the ATV Adrums which look and sound really good but only have about 5 kits in the module. Would love to get one big enough to eventually play out with.

Any thoughts, anyone here playout with an e-kit. I know 2 guys who do as well but they have $7k+ kits and I am not spendning that kind of money.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Thinking of Taking the E-kit plunge

More power to you. I really hope you find one to your liking. My church has an e-kit and I hate it. But it's most likely because it's an old cheap one. But I hate it.

User Info Menu

I hear you, MDK. I've been thinking the same thing.

I've been looking at the Alesis Strike Pro. I have to hear what the module does before I bite but the hardware looks like a real kit other than the cymbals.

Priced nicely, too. Under your budget.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I personally find e-drums to be limiting. Yes you can switch sounds and they are tuned and EQed etc, but you don't have the infinite palette of sounds and feels that acoustic drums and cymbals offers. There are only X number of presets and trigger options.
    It's the trade you make for convenience.

User Info Menu

Well I took the plunge a few months ago... I bought a used Alises DM10X from a drummer friend.

I know Roland and Alexis is like night n day [Roland being the better] but I wish I never bought it. I haven't made the decision to sell it yet but probably will.

It's just been sitting there. Never play it.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I hear you, MDK. I've been thinking the same thing.

I've been looking at the Alesis Strike Pro. I have to hear what the module does before I bite but the hardware looks like a real kit other than the cymbals.

Priced nicely, too. Under your budget.
    Yes I actually just started reading up on the strike pro and it is in the running for sure. Love the look but need to read up on the options of the brain.

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    I personally find e-drums to be limiting. Yes you can switch sounds and they are tuned and EQed etc, but you don't have the infinite palette of sounds and feels that acoustic drums and cymbals offers. There are only X number of presets and trigger options.
    It's the trade you make for convenience.
    Yeah I know all that but honestly I play in 2 classic rock bands and I am sure a decent e-kit can more than cover the sounds required for that. The 125 pads on the roland actually uses dynamics based on how hard you hit em. Can do crescendo's no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Well I took the plunge a few months ago... I bought a used Alises DM10X from a drummer friend.

I know Roland and Alexis is like night n day [Roland being the better] but I wish I never bought it. I haven't made the decision to sell it yet but probably will.

It's just been sitting there. Never play it.
    Yes I agree I owned a low end Roland and felt the same way but since playing my bud's TD-50 I am gaining a new appreciation for e-kits. Fortunately or unfortunately you get what you pay for kind of like acoustic drums except I think it is magnified 3 fold with electronic drums.

Here is a pic of my Buddy's Roland TD-50. He Paid $9k for it..20180430_211545.jpg
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Yes I actually just started reading up on the strike pro and it is in the running for sure. Love the look but need to read up on the options of the brain.

Yeah I know all that but honestly I play in 2 classic rock bands and I am sure a decent e-kit can more than cover the sounds required for that. The 125 pads on the roland actually uses dynamics based on how hard you hit em. Can do crescendo's no problem.

Yes I agree I owned a low end Roland and felt the same way but since playing my bud's TD-50 I am gaining a new appreciation for e-kits. Fortunately or unfortunately you get what you pay for kind of like acoustic drums except I think it is magnified 3 fold with electronic drums.

Here is a pic of my Buddy's Roland TD-50. He Paid $9k for it..20180430_211545.jpg
    CHECK out all options: NFUZD NSPIRE trigger pads (YouTube) That's what route I would consider. IMO
    Last edited by drummerMD; 05-01-2018 at 07:53 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    CHECK out all options: NFUZD NSPIRE trigger pads (YouTube) That's what route I would consider. IMO
    What about the sound module? Pick one?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    What about the sound module? Pick one?
    They have one and it's pretty cool!
    Last edited by drummerMD; 05-02-2018 at 05:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    They have one and it's pretty cool!
    Cool, research, here I come. lol
    Signature here

User Info Menu

its a no brainer

I do about 90% of my practice on a e-kit

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Here is a pic of my Buddy's Roland TD-50. He Paid $9k for it.
    WHAT ???
    Insanity !
    Not just "no" but, "hell no".
    I played e-kits for many years in the 90s.....................got sick of the whole idea.
    For much less than $9K, I could buy any of the top major-brand acoustic kits available out there and be happy for a lifetime.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    WHAT ???
    Insanity !
    Not just "no" but, "hell no".
    I played e-kits for many years in the 90s.....................got sick of the whole idea.
    For much less than $9K, I could buy any of the top major-brand acoustic kits available out there and be happy for a lifetime.
    I agree, no way I would pay that, and I think I may be over the desire to own electric.. for now anyway and Ya have to spend atleast $3500 for something decent (atleast to me) and I cannot bring myself to do that.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

i payed $2000 AUS for a td-20 four years ago and then expanded it and got a bunch of sound packs

User Info Menu

This thread brings up question. What is your impression when you show up to a show and the drummer is using an e-kit? I am not a fan. IMHO e-kts have one function (and I wonder about even that number) and that is for practice where noise is an issue. Even using for practice is questionable since the rebound and feel is nothing like an acoustic kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    This thread brings up question. What is your impression when you show up to a show and the drummer is using an e-kit? I am not a fan. IMHO e-kts have one function (and I wonder about even that number) and that is for practice where noise is an issue. Even using for practice is questionable since the rebound and feel is nothing like an acoustic kit.
    I agree. I also think e-kits would be good in a recording studio. Nowadays we've come so advanced in sound apps in electric drumming! takes too much time and $ for setting up time etc. If I owned a recording studio I would have a top of the line e-kit in the corner ready to go. Plug in and play. You can make e-kits sound like like anything now! No average joe blow(non musician) wouldn't know the difference if the drums were accoustic or not on the recording anyway.Keep the accoustic kits live and on stage where they belong!. . . . .I.m talking about full e-kits only. partial triggers and such are good for Hybriding on stsge.
    Last edited by drummerMD; 06-04-2018 at 12:48 PM.

User Info Menu

This was my 3rd E-kit , sold it in 2008. Yamaha DTXTREME lll it was their flagship e-kit at the time. It was nice but I prefer acoustic drums.

pictures 009 by Joe Dee, on Flickr

pictures 010 by Joe Dee, on Flickr