Thread: Have to choose which kit to use

User Info Menu

Default Have to choose which kit to use

I picked up a pdp concept maple 7 piece kit new in boxes. I already have a Tama Superstar Maple classic 8 piece.
    I was going to set up both kits but room restrictions aren't allowing me to.
    Both kits have their ups and downs so it's hard for me to decide which to use and which to sell off.
    The Tama is what I am using now and had the 18" floor tom I bought awhile back for it. The pdp kit doesn't but I can buy another. Heads is also an issue. $300 for new heads on the pdp kit.
    I really like the looks of the pdp kit and the mounting of it,but I hate white. The Tama kit is great,just can't find the 13" tom for it to make it a complete set for me. ( I like big kits)
    I'm in no hurry to go this since I have to get add ons for the pdp kit but which one would be the better kit to keep and use?
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Have to choose which kit to use

I think they’re both pretty evenly matched in almost every way. I’d say keep the kit that you like the looks of. Otherwise, you’ll never be happy.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

What Brian said.

They are both upper mid-level NICE kits, both. It basically comes down to hardware. Shell for shell both being maple there's probably very little difference in tone when you get down to it.

Not knowing your room situation, I think I'd still try to set up at least a kick floor and one tom and go back and forth. Having both in the same room at the same time is how I evaluated all my kits for comparison. You have a very optimal situation in which to really compare the two.

Take your time, fine tune them meticulously and see for yourself which you like better. Use same pedal and sticks if possible. Head selection would be ideal if the same but you know what that costs so most likely is cost prohibitive. I always evaled with factory heads. I even played most kits with factory heads until I got bored and wanted a change.

Man, have fun, enjoy the bennies of having both kits. Mix and match, tune and compare, (sleep with the one you like the best) but you didn't hear it from me. Heard about that from a friend of a.....anyway...

Let us know your thoughts after you have time to play.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Yeah both are nice kits and will sound pretty much the same. It's going to come down to the finish on the drums and if I want to spend money on another 18" floor tom.
    The snares are a different size. Tama has a 6.5" pdp has a 5.5" but the pdp is 10 ply and I think the Tama is 7 or 8 ply. Not much of a difference. Hardware wise I think I like the pdp setup more.
    I have time,it's not something I have to hurry up and decide on. I have played on a pdp concept maple kit and liked it so I already know how it sounds and everything about it.
    There are other things I could spend the money on if I kept the Tama kit like another Pearl Icon Curved Rack and stack them since I'm running out of room for cymbals.
    Hard choices lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    What Brian said.

They are both upper mid-level NICE kits, both. It basically comes down to hardware. Shell for shell both being maple there's probably very little difference in tone when you get down to it.

Not knowing your room situation, I think I'd still try to set up at least a kick floor and one tom and go back and forth. Having both in the same room at the same time is how I evaluated all my kits for comparison. You have a very optimal situation in which to really compare the two.

Take your time, fine tune them meticulously and see for yourself which you like better. Use same pedal and sticks if possible. Head selection would be ideal if the same but you know what that costs so most likely is cost prohibitive. I always evaled with factory heads. I even played most kits with factory heads until I got bored and wanted a change.

Man, have fun, enjoy the bennies of having both kits. Mix and match, tune and compare, (sleep with the one you like the best) but you didn't hear it from me. Heard about that from a friend of a.....anyway...

Let us know your thoughts after you have time to play.
    Just so you know. Mrs Bish reads all your posts in her spare time.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

So I chose to keep the Tama kit. I already have the 18" floor tom for it and would of had to buy another if I kept the pdp kit.
    As for hardware,I liked the pdp over the Tama and sound I already knew what both sounded like,the pdp snare is better but not much difference in anything else that's noticeable.
    Sold the pdp kit today and trying to figure out what to add to my kit. Can't find the 13" tom which I'm looking to add,don't need any cymbals so thinking about another snare. Seen some nice pdp maple 7.5"X14" snares for a good price I like the looks of.

User Info Menu

Shawn76 post pics of both kits and sizes.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

If you're not hurting for money... I would honestly keep it as a second kit. You never know when you made need to travel or setup one up somewhere

User Info Menu

Nice to have 2 kits although I would rather have 2 different woods. I have a Birch kit and a Maple kit and honestly everytime I think I like the Maple more I find myself feeling the opposite whenever I play the Birch so I am glad I have both. Hopefully I never have to choose. I am gigging the Birch and practicing with the maple and am thinking of switching it up soon.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I had one kit for over 30 years and when I got back into playing I wanted a new kit, thinking I'd sell the old one. Well I liked having 2 kits to choose between(birch and poplar\maple) when playing and still had an emotional attachment to the old one. Then, I saw a used kit for sale cheap which was another type of wood(ash). I bought that as a beater kit I could use for outside gigs. Then my wife surprised me with an eKit for Father's Day. I figured I get ONE MORE kit because I didn't have an all maple kit and that would be the last one, so I splurged a little. Well I happen to see a new kit drastically reduced in price which was acrylic that I absolutely HAD to have so that became my last one...

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

I really considered on keeping it but room was a problem.
    I would of had to push everything to one side of my bedroom and set up the pdp kit.
    Also as mentioned,they are on about the same level and having 2 kits about the same isn't what I'd want. I do like Birch but I'm sold on maple for now and happy with what I have. I don't travel around with a kit and not in a band and no plans to at all. Just doesn't pay enough and my back couldn't handle it. I'm not playing like I did 5 years ago I'm limited now.
    I took the pdp kit in on a trade and sold it for a profit so it worked for me.
    Also both the pdp kit and Tama kit were the same size except I added an 18" floor tom to the Tama kit,which ultimately made my choice in which to keep. Don't want to buy another 18" floor tom to have an 8 piece kit again when I already have one.