Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drum shields, Like or hate?

User Info Menu

Default Drum shields, Like or hate?

So, My drums seem to be too loud for my band. I do play aggressive, but, I have eased up to the point I'm playing as soft as I can and still get into the songs. Our set list includes songs by Pink Floyd, Kansas, Rush and other really aggressive music. Our keyboardist and guitarist have no problem and think they sound great. Our bassist and vocalist think I'm too loud. The bassist came up with a drum shield. So, my question is, would you or would you not play behind a shield?
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum shields, Like or hate?

I had to be behind one in a church environment. Never much liked it but it wasn't for my benefit. Didn't really bother me either way until someone turned around to talk to you. The only thing you could guarantee was they couldn't sneeze on you.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Never!!!
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I agree never use or had any use for them myself but then under some circumstances some do use them. I guess it is up to you.

User Info Menu

Nope. Never. You want your drummer behind a shield? Then, I'm not your drummer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Nope. Never. You want your drummer behind a shield? Then, I'm not your drummer.

There is one good thing to be said about it. If you use the kind that has the cloth bottom half you can use any ugly kit without embarrassment. That'll show'm, huh?

How I eventually got around using one in church was to dampen the crap out of MY KIT and let the sound system do its job. The budget kit they'd been using was tuned wide open with lots of projection and being played by pounders. Bringing in a good kit and dynamic drummer (me) I was able to control the sound without offending anyone.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I hate those things...................and I've never had a bass player tell me I'm too loud...............maybe get you some 7A sticks ?

There is a club in town wherein the drummer plays a house kit (an entry-level crappy kit) and it sits behind a shield and in front of these big, thick, black theater curtains.
    I understand the need to try and isolate for good sound but the PA is crap...................what's worse is the monitor system -- especially the drummer's monitor.
    So you sit behind this shield which changes the dynamic of what a drummer can hear on stage, and that is combined with a bad monitor that can't help.
    We switched to IEM and the system was so bad, it didn't help.

Tell the bass player he needs to stand behind a shield.....................opaque might be best.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

It seems like there was a time that I was behind one but I can't think of when or where so I guess I never had to use one but

I think I'd kind of like it being in my own space like that

I've been in more 3 pc band's then anything else but always liked being somewhat blocked by the extra person in 4pc band's.

I didn't feel so focused on I guess..
    Last edited by slinky; 05-01-2018 at 09:27 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Get your dynamics in order.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

They don’t bother me for some reason but I also use IEM.

They definitely help the sound man isolate the drums without bleeding into the vocal mics.

User Info Menu

The also make just cymbal shields if you don't want the full shield

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    There is one good thing to be said about it. If you use the kind that has the cloth bottom half you can use any ugly kit without embarrassment. That'll show'm, huh?

How I eventually got around using one in church was to dampen the crap out of MY KIT and let the sound system do its job. The budget kit they'd been using was tuned wide open with lots of projection and being played by pounders. Bringing in a good kit and dynamic drummer (me) I was able to control the sound without offending anyone.
    I'm playing my DW's without dampening, I love open kits, also, the only thing we mic live is the snare and kick. I consider myself pretty dynamic, getting better with this band, anyway.
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    They don’t bother me for some reason but I also use IEM.

They definitely help the sound man isolate the drums without bleeding into the vocal mics.
    We use wedges. As far as sound, we onlt mic the snare and kick.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I am dynamic.

User Info Menu

So, I have decided to try it for the band's sake. If, for some reason I do not like it, I will tell them. Also, thinking of down sizing to a five piece Mapex kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tamashane View Post
    We use wedges. As far as sound, we onlt mic the snare and kick.
    I hope it works out for you. But I think what you’ll find is that without some sort of ear protection everything you hit behind that shield is going to bounce back straight at you. Your cymbals specifically are going to pierce your ear drums.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tamashane View Post
    I am dynamic.
    Not what I meant.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    The also make just cymbal shields if you don't want the full shield
    Like Butch Vic from Garbage. Madison, WI.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    Like Butch Vic from Garbage. Madison, WI.
    exactly!

User Info Menu

Know what would be really cool?

The whole band playing inside huge aquarium!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Know what would be really cool?

The whole band playing inside huge aquarium!

all the best...
    LOL! Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    I hope it works out for you. But I think what you’ll find is that without some sort of ear protection everything you hit behind that shield is going to bounce back straight at you. Your cymbals specifically are going to pierce your ear drums.
    I haven't considered that. I will be aware of it.

User Info Menu

That's not always the only answer. Sometimes the people you play to need it or want it due to their beliefs, right or wrong.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    That's not always the only answer. Sometimes the people you play to need it or want it due to their beliefs, right or wrong.
    Bish, you kind of lost me on that 1.

This is what I meant:

"Dynamics refer to the loudness or softness of music. Dynamics offer a way to show expression in sheet music. They help to drive the emotional content of music through volume and intensity. It's as if you could adjust both the volume and the color depth on your screen simultaneously. We can also think of the intensity side of dynamics as the strength of a note. Some notes are meant to be played gently and lightly, while others are meant to be played more strongly."

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Bish, you kind of lost me on that 1.

This is what I meant:

"Dynamics refer to the loudness or softness of music. Dynamics offer a way to show expression in sheet music. They help to drive the emotional content of music through volume and intensity. It's as if you could adjust both the volume and the color depth on your screen simultaneously. We can also think of the intensity side of dynamics as the strength of a note. Some notes are meant to be played gently and lightly, while others are meant to be played more strongly."
    I understand exactly what you meant.

Maybe I can explain better what I meant. In the church setting where I volunteered my services, the church already had the shield in place. The congregation made the choice to have it, regardless of the drummer. That's all I'm saying. Sorry if I wasn't clear before.
    Signature here