Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drum shields, Like or hate?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum shields, Like or hate?

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I understand exactly what you meant.

Maybe I can explain better what I meant. In the church setting where I volunteered my services, the church already had the shield in place. The congregation made the choice to have it, regardless of the drummer. That's all I'm saying. Sorry if I wasn't clear before.
    Bish, I was saying dynamics as it pertained to the OP's question. I don't think he was referring to a church setting but just gigging in general.

I can definitely see the need for a shield in church where there are a lot of hard surfaces. Not having been in a church since September of '78, when my future wife's brother got married, I assume they have made changes to allow for the sound of live music.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Up-date: Played a show last night using the shield. DID NOT like it!!!!! Pro: The front of house sounded great. Cons: All I could see was lights reflecting, felt very isolated from the crowd and band, drums echoed off the shield back to me, and I was unable to hear the stage sounds in front of me. We discussed my feelings after the show and as a band, decided that the singer would try in ears. All in all, a lesson learned.
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.

User Info Menu

Hate 'em with a passion. Unless you have in ear monitors, it's living hell.

User Info Menu

yeah the one time i played behind one the backlash of sound was INTENSE! It may save the people in front of it but it really hurts as a drummer sitting behind it hearing anything other that yourself.

User Info Menu

Should be shields for some lead rock guitarist instead.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Should be shields for some lead rock guitarist instead.
    Thank make them lol
    Good luck getting a guitarist to use one though

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Hate 'em with a passion. Unless you have in ear monitors, it's living hell.
    IEM are a must.

User Info Menu

I have never played behind 1 nor would I ever play behind 1.

I can remember seeing the Ventures at Palisades Park somewhere in the early to mid '60's. They had nowhere near the sound equipment that is available today and their songs sounded like they did on the records (and , yes, they played live). Drummers (I'm not counting electric drumsets) learned to control their dynamics due to the fact that we have no volume control while all guitarist wish their amps volume control went to 11.

If you watch the majority of drummers today, 95% of them play match which, among other things, lets them hit the snare at a volume that is way past what is actually needed. When I see a drummer's hand go above his head to hit the snare drum (or, in reality, any part of the drumset) like the ape at the beginning of 2001 in a bar that has less area than my house, I know (knew) that something's wrong.

Work on dynamics and that screen will become a distant memory. I now have to add 1 more thing to my list of things I will never have or use:

1) Metronomes

2) Cowbells

3) China cymbals

4) A screen

I doubt very much if I will ever play in a band again unless I play with people that play washboard and harmonica, a banjo, and a guy that looks like Porter Wagoner back in the '60's when everybody was raiding the sequin mines.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

There are several places we play that it isn't an option. In-house sound/engineer. You set up your drums and then they mic them and put the shield up. Doesn't matter who you are. If I told them I refuse to play behind a shield, it would be an acoustic gig. Like them or hate them, if you want to be a working drummer here, you had better be ready for any situation up to and including a shield. A legalistic approach in this area gets you a reputation of being arrogant, inflexible, and not invited back.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    There are several places we play that it isn't an option. In-house sound/engineer. You set up your drums and then they mic them and put the shield up. Doesn't matter who you are. If I told them I refuse to play behind a shield, it would be an acoustic gig. Like them or hate them, if you want to be a working drummer here, you had better be ready for any situation up to and including a shield. A legalistic approach in this area gets you a reputation of being arrogant, inflexible, and not invited back.
    That's probably due to drummers that beat the hell out of the drums no matter what kind of music was being played.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I have never played a venue that owns a sound shield. But I can see them owning one and saying you have to use it regardless

User Info Menu

Do whatever makes 'em happy. Wish I had a shield for a certain guitarist years ago ... pardon?

I like the clear shield pictured, having sounded reflected back would be useful in some situations. Foldback is often so poor.