Thread: Speed 'Demon' Cobra

User Info Menu

Default Speed 'Demon' Cobra

My Speed' Demon ' Cobras. I know, a lot of cutting, grinding, filing and retro fitting and work is still in progress. I'm modifying my speed cobras to direct drive using Pearl demon direct drive assembly. One down one more to go. Just waiting for the next direct drive to come in. I did it so you could use the stock chain drive or direct drive. I like options, believe it or not the direct drive side does feel a little better. DSC01682.jpgDSC01683.jpgDSC01687.jpg It has been done before, but I just wanted to try it.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Speed 'Demon' Cobra

I play the double Speed Cobra -- I've had it for about 5 years.
    I have swapped out the beaters for the conventional felt medium-firm Yamaha beaters..............they feel better and they sound better.
    I've also quit destroying bass batter heads since I switched.

I also bought the TRICK slave driveshaft........................better !

I now have the Speed Cobra I like.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I play the double Speed Cobra -- I've had it for about 5 years.
    I have swapped out the beaters for the conventional felt medium-firm Yamaha beaters..............they feel better and they sound better.
    I've also quit destroying bass batter heads since I switched.

I also bought the TRICK slave driveshaft........................better !

I now have the Speed Cobra I like.
    They are a great pedal, a workhorse for sure. My single pedal PDP concept direct drive is my favorite so far on feel. With my upgrades( Trick beater,9000 DW rocker spring bearing and heavier gauge Speed Cobra spring ) it truely kicks major BUTT!DSC01690.jpgDSC01517.jpg

User Info Menu

wow that is awesome that you are able to convert that over! I know it's a lot of work but direct drive is well worth it IMO!

User Info Menu

What do you guys prefer about direct vs chain? The direct always reminds me of the old Ludwig pedals.

I used one of those once and didn't like the feel of it. The Speed King.
    Last edited by slinky; 05-06-2018 at 05:49 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

This rule (below) is not always true because drum pedal engineering and innovation is a dynamic......................but, historically speaking:

For speed and lighter strokes -- go direct;
    For traditional power -- go chain and cam.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I love my old SK. For me, it’s not a speed issue...I’m not fast and don’t play complicated patterns. I think it the feel of the SK. It just feels light and sensitive. The spring action feels responsive and the board always feels glued to my foot. Honestly, I think the direct drive is only a small part of it. It’s the total combination of very light weight components (low inertia), the compression spring (as opposed to spring extension), the short board length, the geometry of the lever pull and the direct linkage.

To convert a regular chain drive pedal design to direct drive just makes it feel like a regular pedal in most cases.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Great looking DIY mod on the Speed Cobras. Very unique.

User Info Menu

DSC01813.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Great looking DIY mod on the Speed Cobras. Very unique.
    Thank you much late8! it is optional. I made it that way! lol.
    Last edited by drummerMD; 01-15-2019 at 03:59 AM.

User Info Menu

Hmmm alot of work for direct drive but if you have the time and patience why not? They really look good. I am now using a Cork Hammer Bass Drum Beater from creative percussion on my SC and it is by far the best beater I have played. So light and yet so thumpy.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    DSC01813.jpg

Thank you much late8! it is optional. I made it that way! lol.
    Optional? Man some of you guys are so handy with your tools and creative thinking. BTW, very clean set up with the legless snare stand.