Thread: Drum Heads

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Drum Heads

Hi all,

I am after some advice on which drum heads are the best on the market. I play mostly rock so some that can take a beating would help.

How long should drum heads last? My 12" Tom has a lot of dents but the others aren't too bad.

I understand 2 ply suit best for rock but what do you think?

I am currently looking at Remo Clear Emperor Pro pack 12" 13" 16" with a free 14" snare head on G4M or the Remo Pinstripes.

Can anyone advise whether these are good choices or if there are others worth looking into?

TAI

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Heads

Remo Emps are always a good choice.
    I try other options at times and usually go right back to the Emps.
    Depending on what brand (and age) shells you are using, Aquarian has some good batter heads out there too.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Thanks Ricardo.

I have a 9 month old Peal Export EXX kit so if you think the Aquarians are worth looking into for them, I will.

Thanks for the advice
    Last edited by Ludlow86; 05-08-2018 at 08:58 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ludlow86 View Post
    Thanks Ricardo.

I have a 9 month old Peal Export EXX kit so if you think the Aquarians are worth looking into for them, I will.

Thanks for the advice
    Exports should be no problem.
    I love the clear Super 2s with Studio X Ring for tom batters...................great stuff.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ludlow86 View Post
    Hi all,

My 12" Tom has a lot of dents but the others aren't too bad. . . .

TAI
    Welcome to DC, Tai. This site has some of the nicest people in the drum world, all of them ready to answer your questions.

The answer to your question Is: *Top (batter) heads on tom toms: Remo Emperors in clear or coated. Or, Evans G2, coated or clear
    * Bottom (resonant) heads on tom toms: Remo Ambassador clear or coated. Or, Evans G1 coated or clear
    * Bass drum: (Batter)Remo Emperor or Pinstripe, coated or clear. Front head: Remo coated Ambassador or
    Evans EQ-3.

But none of these fine heads are going to last long or sound good as long as you continue knocking dents into the film. These dents come from only one source: poor stick control. That issue has been much discussed here. Find those threads and learn how to hold and control your drumsticks.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

pinstripes generally still sound good when they are dead and they are easier to tune, the emperors have a hard drop off point , when they go they are gone

User Info Menu

I put a new Hi Energy Aquarian on my snare for our last show... felt and sounded great. They take a beating too.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I've had the best luck with Evans over Aquarian and Remo, at least for toms and for my personal preference.

I use Aquarian for bass drums.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I've had the best luck with Evans over Aquarian and Remo, at least for toms and for my personal preference.

I use Aquarian for bass drums.
    Evans for me!

User Info Menu

They are all good and any of the big three will work well for you. Like GeeDeeEmm pointed out, you are obviously a young drummer and you have some technique flaws. No criticism here as its something we've all been through. When i was young I didn't have the internet and a wealth of knowledgeable drummers to help guide me as i was blasting through heads and cracking cymbals. Yes two ply heads will be more durable. Any brand will do. Work on your technique and then you can play heavy without damaging your heads. Thats when you can begin to chose heads based on their sound and not their durability.
    Last edited by SunDog; 08-31-2018 at 07:01 PM.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

I've been using Aquarian exclusively for around 4 or so years. What I like about them is they seem to have this "hug the bearing edge" quality to them. Not much space is left over, like a slim fit suit - they fit snug and that's kind of what I like. When there's too much of an air gap, it just doesn't sound right to me, it's a pain to tune, and I feel like I wasted my money on the head. Aside from that, I liked the sound and found them a joy to work with. I would like to try out some heads from Attack, someday though. I've always been pretty curious about their designs and what I could get out of them.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I've been using Aquarian exclusively for around 4 or so years. What I like about them is they seem to have this "hug the bearing edge" quality to them. Not much space is left over, like a slim fit suit - they fit snug and that's kind of what I like. When there's too much of an air gap, it just doesn't sound right to me, it's a pain to tune, and I feel like I wasted my money on the head. Aside from that, I liked the sound and found them a joy to work with. I would like to try out some heads from Attack, someday though. I've always been pretty curious about their designs and what I could get out of them.
    After playing Remo then switching to Evans, I finally bit the bullet and went all out on Aquarian heads on three kits and I'm satisfied with the results. The snug fit on the Aquarian heads make it impossible for some of the drummers with older vintage shells (Ricardo's Jasper Gretsch shells) to use but I found them to fit pretty good on my '67 Ludwig 3pc. kit.

User Info Menu

I wonder if it's just a brand thing, like that maybe Gretsch or certain other drum companies have a unique shell that has a different profile from others? I knew a guy with a Mapex Saturn(second generation) that said he had the hardest time getting Aquarian heads on them, so it made me really skeptical about using them but oddly I didn't experience the same issue. With mine they were kind of snug but not like clothes that don't fit and you're wearing them anyway kind of snug, but I have a Pearl snare that one of those same batter heads fits a little better on. Not like a windy gap or anything, but noticeably more room to breathe, I guess. From my experience some brands, whether you've got modern or vintage(my drums are more recent designs), certain ones are responding to Aquarians differently. I think they did something to their heads on purpose, perhaps to keep them seated longer or something, but that's just my opinion and i'm probably way off on it.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments