Thread: It's warming up

User Info Menu

Default It's warming up

How many of you have outdoor gigs scheduled for the summer?
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: It's warming up

I have 4 scheduled so far.
    May 26th
    June 16th
    June 23rd
    July 14th

The next one on May 26 makes me nervous. It almost always rains on Memorial weekend. It’s a big regional meet for the American Veterans Motorcycle Club. If it does rain (or threatens to), we’ll probably move it indoors. June 16th will be an outdoor concert series in one of those “band shell” structures...so that should be safe, other than just being cancelled completely if weather is bad.
    June 23 and July 14th should dry, but most likely it will be 100*F and high humidity.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I have 4 scheduled so far.
    May 26th
    June 16th
    June 23rd
    July 14th

The next one on May 26 makes me nervous. It almost always rains on Memorial weekend. It’s a big regional meet for the American Veterans Motorcycle Club. If it does rain (or threatens to), we’ll probably move it indoors. June 16th will be an outdoor concert series in one of those “band shell” structures...so that should be safe, other than just being cancelled completely if weather is bad.
    June 23 and July 14th should dry, but most likely it will be 100*F and high humidity.
    Nice!
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    Nice!
    Agreed... nothing outdoors for us yet. We didn't play the Motorama this year... did it the last 2 but that usually kicked off the season.

Only thing on books now is June 1st inside.

92 today here
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. I’m excited about the May 26 and July 14 events. Both are large biker club rally events. Those typically open up multiple future opportunities and they pay well.
    Summer is slow around here in terms of indoor bar/club gigs. People are out doing yard work, camping, stock car races, softball tournaments, etc.. The bar owners don’t book much. It pretty much limited to outdoor events. Even those are sketchy unless they’re pretty big and well promoted.
    Private parties are probably the best bet through the summer.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Well....I’m VERY glad they decided to move tonight’s gig INDOORS......
    B0F4737A-0910-4838-9190-39BC8A1E60CA.jpg

Hard to believe I was shoveling snow on Easter. Now 101*F on Memorial weekend. WHAT HAPPENED TO SPRING?!!?!
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 05-26-2018 at 07:23 PM.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

We just signed a contract to do one of the summer concert series in a nearby town. Almost every town has a summer concert series, and the larger ones pay well, provide a stage and sometimes a PA, and can draw thousands. They are also EXTREMELY hard to book. This one is sort of a baby brother to them. Nothing is provided and the pay is similar to what we get in bars(only one hour compared to three though). But we are happy to do it to possibly gain new followers and have it on our resume to help book the bigger ones.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

all of our seasons have just gotten messed up horribly...
    I can't imagine trying to play an outdoor show in this heat.