Thread: Snare microphone shoot-out

User Info Menu

Default Snare microphone shoot-out

I have been using the SM-57 on snare since 1988. About 4 years ago I switched to the Shure Beta 98 AMP for the compact "out of the way" factor, and I really liked the sound. Now I've been hearing some great things about the Audix i5. It takes up about the same real estate as the 57. Things are tight around my snare with the hats and a 10" tom 8" mini-timbale so mounting clearances are tough. What are your thoughts on these mics and others if you have a better choice? Thanks.
    Cut it large and kick it into place!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare microphone shoot-out

I've been using the SM-57 forever and I really have no desire to switch. Mine have been bullet proof and I'm satisfied with the sound. But, I have plenty of room around my snare so placement is not a problem for me. The other mics you mentioned are pro grade and are just as good IMO. Comes down to a matter of preference.

User Info Menu

What are your thoughts on mic'ing the bottom of the snare only?

We've done that a lot live as I have a very tight setup too

User Info Menu

In my experiments with micing the snare from the bottom, I keep it pretty close to the hoop, as putting it closer to the snare makes it too tinny, loses body...
    Just my opinion.

User Info Menu

I started with an SM57, moved to the i5 and now I use a Miktek PM10. Miktek is a boutique mic company located in Nashville. Their mics get great reviews and frequently win shootouts against industry standard mics costing much more. Check them out.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Sennheiser e604 series for me. Snare and all toms. Compact, easy clip-on one piece assembly. Packaged as a 3 pc, I bought two. Ended up spending 100.00 per mic buying them in bulk. Not that you asked but because of them I also purchased the e902 bass drum mic. I was an all Shure mic'r before. Still carry a couple 57's as back ups, however. One can never be too safe.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I've had sound men put an e604 on my snare many times before and they do sound really good there. I've been using e904s for toms for years, awesome mics. If I were to switch away from the 57, I would go e904 ...

User Info Menu

Great tips fellas. I am checking out the Miktek. I have e604's inside my 10" and 12" mounted toms, so I do know those. I agree with funkyRuss on mic'ing the snare side only, my current snare is tuned pretty high as it is because I want a certain sound on stick-clicks and rimshots, so I want to place the mic where I can get some shell resonance and body from the snare, thinner and tinnier would not be my friend. Thanks for letting me pick the hive-mind!
    Cut it large and kick it into place!

User Info Menu

I have three Sennheiser e604, two akg p170, an Audix D6, an akg D112, one Shure SM 58, and one Shure Beta 87A. As for micing the bottom of a snare I wouldn't do it only. If you have enough mics then do top and bottom. If you only have one for the snare, then mic the batter. The e604 is a very good SM57 like mic with a much lower profile.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    What are your thoughts on mic'ing the bottom of the snare only?

We've done that a lot live as I have a very tight setup too
    For the last several years, I've been micing all my toms and my snare with the SM57 pointed directly at the middle of the shell. They sound deliciously round and full of tone from that position, and most ringing is eliminated. The overhead mics pick up the impact of the stick against the heads, but without the overbearing, unnatural-sounding slap that comes from micing the heads.

GeeDeeEmm

drumdude21 Guest

Lightbulb Re: Snare microphone shoot-out

SM57 all day. i5 isn't bad either. Another idea if you care to try it... Works great when you blend the two!

User Info Menu

Started with a SM57 then moved to the Audix i5. Both are similar in respects to polar pattern but the i5 has a steeper frequency response and I can hear that difference on my tracks.

SM57:

Audix i5: