Thread: Really Annoying Band Problem

User Info Menu

Default Really Annoying Band Problem

I know others here at DC that have bigger problems with band-mates or have no band with which to even have problems..............but I've run into an annoying situation:

My band decided weeks ago to take on 6 or 7 new songs that are (let's describe these as) a bit more ambitious than your typical band set-list tunes.

During the most recent few rehearsals, it is apparent that a couple of the band-mates are not quite dealing well with the individual requirement for woodshedding such tunes.

We have a big gig coming up in a couple of weeks wherein something (at least one new song) was to be a debut addition to the set-list.

But now we have to delay because these new tunes are not up to par yet.

So you decide to get into stronger/tougher material but don't put forth the effort to make it great -- can't have it both ways -- annoying.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Really Annoying Band Problem

My last band had one guy who ALWAYS held us back.....
    Nothing more annoying then putting in your time to only be let down because someone else didn't hold up their own. . .

Sorry man I feel ya on this one

User Info Menu

I like to have at least one or two new tunes each gig with the one band I'm in that is currently gigging. We only play out once a month at the moment, so I don't think it's much to ask. Since a lot of the same people come to each gig, I want them to hear something new. The bass player and I have no problem getting the new songs down, but the 2 guitarists always seem to have excuses as to why they are unprepared. It is frustrating.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Yep, frustrating indeed. I also find it disappointing when personal time is spent learning songs in order to make band rehearsal more productive only to show up prepared and have to deal with others who are not ...

User Info Menu

I don’t even go there anymore. We have the talent to do way more than we do, but no one in my band, except for one guitar player who’s retired, has the time or motivation to woodshed (that includes me). I can tell by listening to a song once if it’s something we should attempt. If we can’t get it in “gig-worthy” condition after 3-4 practices, I scrap it and move on, LOL. That’s easy for us, because (quite frankly) we’re just a cheap bar band playing in crappy bars to a bunch of drunk people. The expectations are not exactly high. We’re a good, solid & tight “jam” band that has a ton of fun doing what we do. We play simple structured songs...12 bar Blues, 3 & 4 chord Country & Bluegrass, Rockabilly, etc....and we play them well. Many times, the hardest part is actually staying in the right song because they are all so similar, LOL.

Your band is on another level. The standard and expectations are considerably higher...as are the rewards and compensation. The are requirements of personal time to maintain that level.

Both types are legitimate, but they’re different. It’s like 2 school buses going to different schools. It doesn’t do much good trying to assign seats if they’re on the wrong bus to start with.

Maybe that wasn’t the best assessment
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 05-18-2018 at 08:07 PM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    We play simple structured songs...12 bar Blues, 3 & 4 chord Country & Bluegrass, Rockabilly, etc....and we play them well. Many times, the hardest part is actually staying in the right song because they are all so similar, LOL.
    Curious what your set list looks like? Can you post it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Nothing more annoying then putting in your time to only be let down because someone else didn't hold up their own. . .
    Quote Originally Posted by nubdrummer View Post
    The bass player and I have no problem getting the new songs down, but the 2 guitarists always seem to have excuses as to why they are unprepared. It is frustrating.
    Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    Yep, frustrating indeed. I also find it disappointing when personal time is spent learning songs in order to make band rehearsal more productive only to show up prepared and have to deal with others who are not ...
    All three of you guys have hit on components of the problem. Those of us that come to rehearsal prepared know who is not putting in the time......................after we spend our lives playing in bands, it becomes obvious which band-mates are putting in the work, and which are not.

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I don’t even go there anymore. We have the talent to do way more than we do, but no one in my band, except for one guitar player who’s retired, has the time or motivation to woodshed (that includes me). Your band is on another level. The standard and expectations are considerably higher...as are the rewards and compensation. The are requirements of personal time to maintain that level.
    Thank you N2B -- you are complimentary.
    This band is possibly my last.................and I want to have it achieve a few things that previous bands have failed to accomplish.
    It is frustrating because, after much discussion, these guys CHOSE to go this route................but sometimes the laziness shows up.
    I have brought in a few songs over the last couple of years that are very structured because it forces all the band-mates to work harder.
    They whine along the way -- but once the song is ready for public performance, these are the songs they crow and brag about.
    And I chuckle to myself because it really is something to be proud of.....................so now we have chosen some songs that are a bit of another step up..................highly structured.................not something you will grasp with a few attempts through it.....................I will keep pushing in a diplomatic way.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Diplomacy works on occasion, but I have found that well well placed drumstick can be great motivation.

Drummers and bass players tend to have higher IQ's, keyboard players are right at the normal line, guitar players and singers tend to drop out of the negative pink right into the red area. You have to use monosyllabic words with them, something like, "play the damn song, sing the damn song, and shut the hell up".

Years ago I was in a band with a guitar player/singer. For our next song we had "Jumpin' Jack Flash" on the set list but started playing "Satisfaction" (the band was dying anyway) and the confusion that followed was worth $$$$$ just to watch how fast a guitar player can go in to panic mode.

The story is true, the names have been changed to protect the stupid.
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 05-19-2018 at 05:26 PM. Reason: =====
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

dont get me started, I am in a band that I already quit twice and rejoined 6 months ago after a long talk and ya know the same things are happening again. Stupid me for joining a 3rd time.

Both guitar players have an excuse sheet a mile long and repeatedly take turns canceling or rescheduling practices and I am pretty sure the only time they play their instruments is during band rehearsals so I call them practices. We been playing 7 nation army for 3 months now and still the lead gets lost as to when to come in and when to drop out, arrgghhh it's so frustrating. Bass player is good but runs his own business and has no time to put into getting tight and the lead singer fits right in with canceling and not making gigs.

I think what ticks me off the most is I seem to be the only one complaining? I make a comment about showing some consideration for other peoples time and I get comments saying oh relax we are not professionals!

I am in 2 bands now but I am really looking forward to being bandless again. 2nd band is good but honestly I am just not having as much fun as I used to and I am starting to think I need a long break and maybe a leap into a different genre, Classic Rock, is getting ho hum for me. Saw a blues/ Motown band last night and really dug it. Drummer was killing it. Sorry for rambling on
    Last edited by MDK; 05-20-2018 at 06:48 AM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Neither of my bands are what you would technically consider "professional", meaning we all have other jobs as our main source of income. But that doesn't mean you don't have to act like a professional. Doing your homework, coming to rehearsal prepared, showing up on time for gigs and rehearsals and treating band mates, the audience and venue employees with respect is what make you a professional, not how much money you earn.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nubdrummer View Post
    Neither of my bands are what you would technically consider "professional", meaning we all have other jobs as our main source of income. But that doesn't mean you don't have to act like a professional. Doing your homework, coming to rehearsal prepared, showing up on time for gigs and rehearsals and treating band mates, the audience and venue employees with respect is what make you a professional, not how much money you earn.
    Totally agree!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    My band decided weeks ago to take on 6 or 7 new songs that are (let's describe these as) a bit more ambitious than your typical band set-list tunes.
    OK - my curiosity is simply killing me - what are the songs that the band has decided to learn? Inquiring minds . . . yadda, yadda.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    OK - my curiosity is simply killing me - what are the songs that the band has decided to learn? Inquiring minds . . . yadda, yadda.

GeeDeeEmm