Thread: Drum Monitoring help for Electronic drum set

User Info Menu

Default Drum Monitoring help for Electronic drum set

Hello fellow drummers. I own a set of Traps A400 which I converted them to electronic drums due to the reason that I live in an apartment and don't want to gall the neighbors. My main concern at the moment is that I have connected the drum module with the PC and any sound comes from a pair of PC speakers (2.1 system A120 Creative) and the output level is really low which makes any hearing difficult.
    I am considering the possibility to change them with an active pair of studio monitors. My question is if a studio monitor can handle this particular job as I want it only for drum practice and wan't increase the volume too high or I need to buy PA speaker?
    My budget is around 150 euros (apx 170 $). Any reviewing is much appreciated
    Drums Traps A400 with rack
    Cymbals all Meinl
    Raker 14" HH
    Raker 20" heavy and 21" medium Rides
    Raker 16" medium & heavy crashes
    MB10 17" china
    Lightning 10" splash

Hardware: DW 5002 twin pedal, DW 9000 HH stand and Pearl BR-2000 stool, Adam CS-90 x1 cymbal boom stand

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Monitoring help for Electronic drum set

I am using a pair of Rockville APM 5 monitors and they are very loud. Bass is a bit thin, but would probably work for your application.

User Info Menu

Do I need such a powerful monitor as yours? Drums are installed in a particular small room and I hardly think I'll ever need that much power
    Cymbals all Meinl
    Raker 14" HH
    MB10 17" china
    Lightning 10" splash

Hardware: DW 5002 twin pedal, DW 9000 HH stand and Pearl BR-2000 stool, Adam CS-90 x1 cymbal boom stand

User Info Menu

I always prefer a bit more power, and turn down the amp, as opposed to having a weak amp and cranking it up to distortion. Rockville makes a lower powered set as well.

User Info Menu

Have you ever tried IEMs? Would also do the job ?
    Cymbals all Meinl
    Raker 14" HH
    MB10 17" china
    Lightning 10" splash

User Info Menu

I use IEM's and they work fine, some people do not like to use IEM's or Headphones and want to "hear the music". I use both. IEM's work great when family is sleeping. Monitors are nice to actually hear - also to practice with others in lower controlled volume situations.

Stu

User Info Menu

Are your speakers self-powered with built in amp? If not, you need an amplifier between the module and the speakers. At least that was the case 20 years ago. When I ran my Roland and Alesis drum modules together, (better assignment of pad to controller) I ran them into a mixer and then through a mini PA that I used as "stage volume." That was 20 some years ago but I believe the basic fundamentals of amping still apply. The same held true when I went to a complete solution with my Hart pro system. Module to mixer to amps to speakers.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

My question is, do I need more than 1 drivers for IEMs? Also is better to look for custom made ear plags? Have seen different sizes from manufacturers and wondering if they fit exactly into the canal.
    Last edited by corsair; 05-23-2018 at 05:29 PM.
    Cymbals all Meinl
    Raker 14" HH
    MB10 17" china
    Lightning 10" splash

User Info Menu

For the pc speakers, yes they do have an amplifier. The studio monitors, if I conclude to buying them, would also be active. As I said I will use them only for low volume practice and/or playback practice
    Cymbals all Meinl
    Raker 14" HH
    MB10 17" china
    Lightning 10" splash