Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 14X24 bass question

User Info Menu

Default Re: 14X24 bass question

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    The bigger the head, the tighter it will need to be to get the responsiveness. The shallower depths like 14” help offset that, the same way shallow “fast” toms do. Some of it also has to do with the beater striking in the center of the head and being 90* vertical when it contacts the head. If everything is adjusted correctly, I doubt there would be a significant difference between 20”, 22” and 24”. When you venture into 16”, 18”, 26” and 28”, then the adjustment issue becomes more challenging.
    My 16” definitely required getting used to, but with a riser kit it’s very comfortable to play and effortless. I don’t use a riser on my 18”, but I have to elevate the front a little to get the batter head tilted back closer to the pedal. The beater height is so low that it must travel past vertical to touch the head if I don’t. 3-1/2 hours into a 4hr gig, I can definitely notice if things aren’t adjusted correctly.
    I use a Gibraltar riser adjusted all the way down on my 20"X 20" bass drums so it's about 2 1/2 -3 in. and the beater hits right smack in the center. The bass drum is elevated about 3" from the floor. . . . .instant cannon! As you can see in this pic.DSC01643.jpg
    Last edited by drummerMD; 05-24-2018 at 03:21 AM.

User Info Menu

omg that white with red accent is killer!!!

User Info Menu

Agree with the Spaz.....killer looking kit, drummerMD.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Thanks, Guys!!

User Info Menu

Nice!!

User Info Menu

I've owned 18" kicks up to 26" kicks and I never had to use any more power on any one over the other. I used a double pedal on the 20 , 22 ,24 and 26 with no problems.
    Last edited by NPYYZ; 06-14-2018 at 05:14 AM.

User Info Menu

I used a 14 x 20 for 48 years, non ported, non dampened heads, then went to a 16 x 26, non ported, non dampened BD. Single Ludwig Speed King pedals. Stock Ludwig and Remo heads. Great sound, easy to play, and the absence of holes in the reso head gives you a fine BASS drum sound. Pedal ball choices abound for softening or hardening the impact sound. Just use the proper technique, taste, and play for the song. Bashing and crashing has never been a proper way to play music.

User Info Menu

I never felt like a 24" was off limits for speedy double bass playing, it's just a diameter and a pitch range after all. What really sank in my mind as the defining characteristic is the depth.. A 24" diameter with a 14 or 16" depth feels like a good balance of low end and controllable sustain. The one issue I have with 24's, and 26's, is while their deep fat sounds are unimaginably pleasing for me to hear, setting up larger rack toms on them is a challenge I never looked forward to. Since I currently utilize an a/e kit, I think 20's and 22's for diameter are pretty useful.
    Last edited by Russ; 09-07-2018 at 06:54 AM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Dealing with the extra height of the 24 or 26" bass drum is easy: just turn the 2 or 4 extra inches down to the bottom of the drum where it will be out of the way. Done.

GeeDeeEmm