Thread: Happy Memorial Day 2017 2018 2019

User Info Menu

Default Happy Memorial Day 2017 2018 2019

2AF34035-F77E-41A4-AC3D-B574B360FB81.jpg

Let us never forget the real reason behind the holiday. Please remember those who paid the ultimate price, so that we can live in freedom.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Default Re: Happy Memorial Day 2017

Thanks for putting that post up Brian.

I think about things everyday but Memorial Days hits me a little harder every year. I have never been to the Wall, and I will never go. I remember too many guys that I don't need to see their names to remind me.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Happy Memorial day....2018?!

Thank you to all who have serve and all of those who currently serve!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Thanks for putting that post up Brian.

I think about things everyday but Memorial Days hits me a little harder every year. I have never been to the Wall, and I will never go. I remember too many guys that I don't need to see their names to remind me.
    I've been to the Wall a couple of times -- and the WWII -- and the Holocaust......................all of them incredibly moving.
    I got lucky and drew a high lottery number and was not drafted -- to those that have not served,everyone needs to go see these memorial icons/events.
    To all you heroes like Rick, you live this daily and probably do not need to visit.

Many thanks to all veterans for your service to America and all that she stands for.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Happy Memorial day....2018?!

Thank you to all who have serve and all of those who currently serve!
    Umm.....yeah. I can’t believe I put 2017. We’ll just pretend it’s an old thread being revived
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

"To all you heroes like Rick, you live this daily and probably do not need to visit."

Thank you for that Ricardo, but I'm not a hero, all the heroes are on the wall, I just happened to know a few of them.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Time to revive the thread.
    E27EAD29-EA4A-476A-A358-AA65AF1A67BE.jpg
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Roughly 675,000 Americans have died since WWI. Take a moment and think of them and how many lives that were affected over all those years.

My father lost a brother (Guadalcanal), 2 cousins (1 on Saipan, the other on Okinawa) and his best friend was shot down over the Solomons and nothing was ever found. The man who was going to marry my Mother's younger sister, took 6 machine gun bullets on Tarawa. Amazing enough was the fact that none of them hit anything vital but his men (he was a Marine Captain) were worried that he would bleed out. He was taken to a hospital ship then to the hospital at Pearl. He was there when my father (who was a plane mechanic) was there. They were going to discharge him but he fought to stay in. It took almost a year to recuperate ( he did have a bone in his arm and 1 in his leg that were damaged). After that he was sent back to the states to train a company he was going to command on a island that we were going to invade by the name of Iwo Jima. He went in on the 1st wave and spent something like 30+ days fighting yet he was never touched again. Go figure. The man who married my Mother's older sister, fought on Guadalcanal and was about 200' on the other side of a rise, heard a fast fire fight and that a soldier had been killed little knowing that the soldier killed was my fathers brother.

My Father was 1/2 Shoshone Indian The man who was going to be my stepfather years later was younger and didn't get into the Navy till close to the end of '44. He was sent to Norfolk and was assigned to a attack cargo ship that went through the Panama Canal out to the Pacific with a stop at Pearl to both drop of supplies and pick some up. Now comes the strange part. My future stepfathers ship was the USS Shoshone.

(From Wikipedia)USS Shoshone departed Pearl Harbor on 25 January and arrived at Saipan on 11 February. She participated in an invasion rehearsal off Tinian the next day, and departed Saipan on 16 February for the invasion of Iwo Jima. She arrived off Iwo Jima early on 19 February, sent her boats to help offload troops from the attack transports, and discharged small amounts of high priority cargo as called for by the troops ashore. On 26 February, general unloading of cargo began, and Shoshone completed unloading on 1 March and departed Iwo Jima the same day.

Shoshone arrived at Saipan on 4 March and completed loading personnel and equipment of the 2nd Marine Division by the 8th. She underwent training at Tinian between 17 and 19 March, and departed Saipan on 27 March for the Okinawa invasion. She arrived off Okinawa on 1 April, but never landed her troops there — she was ordered to a position 350 miles southeast of Okinawa on 7 April; and, on 11 April, was ordered to return to Saipan. Arriving there on 14 April, she offloaded her troops and supplies on 23 May. On 4 June 1945, Shoshone departed Saipan; and for the next three months, she carried cargo between Western Pacific bases.

My future stepfather was 17 years old through all that.

I was in 4 years to the day (11/17/65 to 11/17/69) 4 years in the AF and almost 2 of those years I was with the Army after TET. I came back a E-5 and I'm probably the only man in history who couldn't re-up because I was hit by a tree. At that time, the thought of playing drums for a living wasn't even on my radar. Strange how things work out.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Default Re: Happy Memorial Day 2017 2018 2019

Thank you Rick. A very nice post and a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing! Your opening sentence should give everyone pause.

I changed the thread title to include last year and this year so it should reflect now on future posts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Time to revive the thread.
    E27EAD29-EA4A-476A-A358-AA65AF1A67BE.jpg
    Thanks N2Bluz!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Happy Memorial Day 2017 2018 2019

there is a small military graveyard by us and they did the most beautiful road of flags... my wife and I were driving past and had to stop for a minute in awe and to give our thanks and prayers