Thread: Is it normal for a brand new Iron Cobra 600 pedal to have side to side movement?

User Info Menu

Default Is it normal for a brand new Iron Cobra 600 pedal to have side to side movement?

I just got this single pedal and have noticed that it wobbles at bit at the bottom hinge of the footboard. I can make it rattle a bit if I move it back and forth with my hands. Is this normal? It's a little bit annoying to have it move side to side and also have an audible noise.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Is it normal for a brand new Iron Cobra 600 pedal to have side to side movement?

Even if it is normal, it’s not desirable. Tama makes quality stuff, so I’m guessing it’s probably not normal....maybe just a very slight amount of movement at best.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Default Re: Is it normal for a brand new Iron Cobra 600 pedal to have side to side movement?

Hm interesting. I have a Yamaha FP7210A and if I try to move the pedal side to side at the bottom hinge it doesn't make any noise or appear to move at all so that's why I was wondering.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat.

I don't have experience with the 600, but do have with other models and currently use 910 and 310 series speed cobras and they are tight and immovable other than as expected by the hinge. If they are new, I'd find another set and compare. If they are used, that can be due to the previous owners' drumming habits.

I believe I have the same Yamaha pedal and IMHO no spring hinged/"clip-in" design will outperform a solid base footboard setup. My Yammy has lots of wiggle but it is at the insertion point on the front post. Obvious due to its design which doesn't mean it's not worthy. I have it with my Yammy Oaks and it works great. I paired that pedal with a DW DWSM105 Hardcore Beater with Adjustable Foam and whoooo-boy does it punch with a ported head. But I don't recommend using the center part only unless you put a click pad on your bass drum head. Trust me, I learned the expensive way. DOH.

Any further questions or comments, post away. You need to get your post count up. Go to the Off Topics and put your personality in there. Then also go to the intro section and unload. lol

Cya 'round.
    Last edited by Bish; 05-30-2018 at 11:51 PM.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I have the same pedal with absolutely no side to side issue. Mine is rock solid and have had it for close to a year.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

I have an old 900 series IC single, its been used so much that the coating has worn away on a large area of the footplate but it has no side play whatsoever. I think you've been unlucky and bought a duffer. As its new I'd return it under warranty.