Thread: GAS and the Snare drum

User Info Menu

Default GAS and the Snare drum

Been interested in pursuing a 13" snare drum. Had one with ddrum pocket maples a few years ago and that's been it.

So this week I needed some "incidentals" and decided to do some hands on investigation.

So I picked up this:

TAMA B/B 13X7 snare drum.

It came with a newer style head and not what I traditionally use on a snare. Normally some single-ply coated something or another. This was different. Took it to the gig, gave the lugs about 2 full turns each and tightened and wow, wee, wow, wow. Beasty. You can hear it in my most recent Radioface vids.

FYI. This is a 13X7 and will fit into a Humes and Berg Galaxy series tom or snare bag. Best sizes with tom bag would be 12X9 or ideally 14X6.5 snare bag fits' it perfectly and makes it like butter to pack or remove said drum from said case. The reason I say this is Galaxy series doesn't currently offer a 13X7 anything.
    Last edited by Bish; 06-03-2018 at 10:25 AM.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Default Re: GAS and the Snare drum

Congrats! You’re gonna love it. I love my 13x7 Pork Pie snare. It’s made me a big fan of 13” snares. Even just the 1” smaller diameter seems to make a noticeable difference in terms of comfort and room behind the kit. The 8 lug configuration on 13” seems to be a nice blend of tuning control while still allowing a fat & full tone. The added depth also give them a deceiving amount of projection without sounding like a popcorn snare. It’s just one of those things where all aspects seem to work well.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I use the black chrome on my PDP for a long time. Great head for heavy hitters like myself!

User Info Menu

Update.....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Opened up a browser today and lo and behold a picture of this snare drum with an "on sale" banner superimposed over it popped up on my sidebar ads.

So I called the seller and asked and sure enough $100.00 less. I got the price reduced and was asked if I wanted credit or CC refund. I said might as well do store credit....there's more things I want.

Oh and by the way Mr. B. we are doing package deals now so if there is something you are looking at we can get you a better price. What were you thinking about?

That's when the whirlwind hit.

Sorry for Spaz but I explained I was looking at inexpensive IEMs. I zeroed in on a budget brand and price figuring I need to start somewhere but not at $1000.00. Also, since I can't use my condenser headset mic for some odd reason I went with the same "mic stand" version of a Sennheiser that our guitarist uses. The bass player did the same, which somewhat speeds the sound check process even though all our voices are very different in pitch and power.

So I had previously been looking at replacing the drum heads on my gigging kits but each time at least one or more were out of stock. This time not so much.

I ended up getting replacement batter and resos for my 2 3pc kits. One is 12 and 16" toms with 22" bass drum and the one I'm currently using is 12 and 14" toms with 18" bass drum.

My initial intent to gain back a hundy turned in to me spending an additional $500 even with my refund and package discount.

This band that I intended to apply earnings to existing debt is now costing me....I'm not sure I can afford to be in a band any more.

I'm out of control......sheesh.

Well, bottom line is if anyone is looking for a snare drum like this, for $199.99 it's going to be hard to beat but easy to be beaten on stage.....hahahahahahahaahha
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Sounds like you better sell me that DDrum kit at a nice price to make up for your spendings :P

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Sounds like you better sell me that DDrum kit at a nice price to make up for your spendings :P
    Make me an offer. Don't let the pictures influence your decision in any way. They have brand new red hydras top and bottom. That was a pretty penny.

Signature here

User Info Menu

Signature here

User Info Menu

I still have the original heads which I'll give you.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I'm ready to deal if you are serious. Even if not, I'm still ready to deal.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Spaz needs to buy a second house for his drums!
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I'm ready to deal if you are serious. Even if not, I'm still ready to deal.
    I heard it was my House Warming / Birthday / Wedding present!!
    You're the best BISH!!!!!
    (And yes, those are all this month... bought house June 1st, Birthday June 14th, Wedding June 30th)

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    Spaz needs to buy a second house for his drums!
    Not a bad idea.......... hmmmmm

User Info Menu

Bish can you post a pic of the label on the box for that snare? I'd definitely be into a 7x13 B/B, but can't find one online anywhere. The only SLP I see at that size is the Maple.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    Bish can you post a pic of the label on the box for that snare? I'd definitely be into a 7x13 B/B, but can't find one online anywhere. The only SLP I see at that size is the Maple.
    I no longer have the box. I can post the description from the original ad but not sure it's going to help. Says discontinued.

Here's what is in the display page. . .

TAMA S.L.P. Backbeat Bubinga Birch Snare Drum

I would sell mine if you are really interested. I love this little drum but I'm always looking at other stuff. lol
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I no longer have the box. I can post the description from the original ad but not sure it's going to help. Says discontinued.

Here's what is in the display page. . .

TAMA S.L.P. Backbeat Bubinga Birch Snare Drum

I would sell mine if you are really interested. I love this little drum but I'm always looking at other stuff. lol
    I searched and found old Ebay listings of it. I guess it was just for a limited time, as most of them are the Tamo Ash outer layer and 7x14.

I've just been looking around for another snare, so no need to sell it on my account. That being said, if you decide you want to move it, let me know.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle