Thread: Cheap LED Drum Lights

User Info Menu

Default Cheap LED Drum Lights

Our new guitarist has been doing a solo Blues act for years. He plays traditional Delta and Slide Blues, sings, blows harp and plays a kick drum. Since joining our band, he has asked my brother (bass player) and I to join him as a trio on a few of his own gigs. His only request was that I use his bass drum in my kit. He uses an old 28” Slingerland marching bass with his own logo on front and LED lights. As cool as it is, I explained that switching from a 22” to a 28” kick could create issues with me having to adjust the head, pedal adjustment, tom placement, etc.. I need time to mess with it first....it’s just not a “set it up and play for 4hrs” endeavor. He agreed to let me use my own BD, as long as I put his logo on the front reso AND install LED lights around the inside of the front hoop. He didn’t think I would. No problem.

I’m having a decal of his logo printed up this week for $20 from the local race car graphics place. I have plenty of extra heads to use. For the lights, I spent a whopping $24 at the local home improvement store;
    BD5CD8DC-290C-48A0-8F7D-2FB1B440640E.jpg
    I splurged and got the Deeee-Lux version with 16’ of adhesive backed LED strip and remote control.
    It’s amazing all the different colors, brightness, patterns, etc. you can use. You can cut it to length and even re-use the excess by buying splice connectors. The hardware is definitely NOT designed for gig use. The wires & connectors are made pretty cheap. If it lasts more than 3 or 4 gigs, I’ll be surprised. BUT...hey, it was $24. If you’re looking for something special for that one certain gig, or if you just play at home and want something cool to play with it’s well worth it. Heck, I’ve already got my $24 worth just sitting in my recliner with it strung around my neck, drinking beer and playing Jimmy Buffet songs on my guitar.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cheap LED Drum Lights

a lot cheaper then what I paid for mine! lol
    But mine are also connected to XLR connectors and then the sound/light guy can control them from his station.

User Info Menu

Yeah, these aren’t near the quality and durability of the Drumlite stuff. I can’t have them flash much on stage with our normal band because our singer suffers from seizures. But, I only need them to light up solid for a few gigs, LOL. If I like the effect, I may invest in a good set. If they last more than a few gigs, I’ll string them up on the rafters in our band practice room for fun. Or...maybe direct wire them to 12VDC and put them in back of my Aerostar van...just for the “creepy” effect, LOL.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Well, they worked amazingly well. Really made for an awesome stage show (albeit a little bit cheesy).
    51399EE2-1322-4F88-A438-DB480D311266.jpg
    8E5B0E43-F387-4C2F-B523-EE24C7D250D0.jpg

It’s hard to capture the effect, especially in a still photo during the day. It was awesome once the sun went down. For this “fill in” gig, I used an old clear reso head and put a 20” OD decal on a 22” head. The 1” of clear head around the outside let the light shine back through the drum and clear batter head, which lit things up behind the kit as well.
    -Brian