Thread: Prog Rock Question

User Info Menu

Default Prog Rock Question

Anyone here ever play in a band that actually learned and performed a song from YES ?

If so,
    Which song (s) ?
    Why did you add it to the list ?
    Why did you drop it ?
    Did it work -- did the band do it justice ?
    Any other prog material ?

One of my guitarists wants to do this --- crazy enough, I'm not opposed !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Prog Rock Question

Most of the songs are not meant for a bar/dance band scene. Great music but just didn't work in that venue.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Most of the songs are not meant for a bar/dance band scene. Great music but just didn't work in that venue.
    The only song I could think of as being a song you can dance to would be 'Owner of a broken heart'. Pretty boring for a drummer to play but people go to bars to drink, dance, shoot pool, play darts and to be loud and unruley.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    The only song I could think of as being a song you can dance to would be 'Owner of a broken heart'. Pretty boring for a drummer to play but people go to bars to drink, dance, shoot pool, play darts and to be loud and unruley.

I'd agree.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I agree with Bish about prog not being meant for a bar. I love the music but everyone I know just thinks i’m weird for listening to it..
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I agree with Bish about prog not being meant for a bar. I love the music but everyone I know just thinks i’m weird for listening to it..
    X2

Bigger events/festivals or dedicated live music venues where people might go to actually listen to music....it may work if you do it well.

The typical bar gig around here; it would flop. They’d rather here music they can drink to and get roudy.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    X2

Bigger events/festivals or dedicated live music venues where people might go to actually listen to music....it may work if you do it well.

The typical bar gig around here; it would flop. They’d rather here music they can drink to and get roudy.
    But in large cities, there should be prog rock bars...no?

I for one, would enjoy listening to it but I don't think it would get the appreciation it deserves in some rowdy alcohol fueled setting. Like classical and jazz, average people just don't get it.

Growing up, it was usually the artistic, brainiac kids that had the Yes and Gentle Giant albums etc. Meanwhile, the local bars were full of iron workers who were totally content with Johnny Cash.

all the best...

User Info Menu

In all the years of playing..........I've never covered a song by Yes.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the input -- I can't disagree with the general idea of "not for the bar".

In the previous version of this same band, we played a song by The Babys (and it was a good dance tune) however, at the end of it we would sneak in 90 seconds of (the second half of) a song from RUSH.....................just enough of it to get one's attention but not subject everyone in the bar to a song that likely should not be on the set-list.

I liked that approach and suggested the latter half of a YES song be treated the exact same way........................but the guitarist is now saying that he wants the band to learn the entire song and place it in the rotation........................I'm not convinced and that is why I'm now here asking you guys.
    It appears my first impression was correct.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

I was in a band years ago that the members really liked Yes and Rush. We did Owner of a Lonely Heart at a few gigs, and we learned Changes from the same album (big Trevor Rabin fan) but we never got a chance to play it live.
    Cut it large and kick it into place!

User Info Menu

I think it would be pretty cool to play that intro section of Heart of the Sunrise. That’ll get their attention!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CollinCo.Drummer View Post
    I was in a band years ago that the members really liked Yes and Rush. We did Owner of a Lonely Heart at a few gigs, and we learned Changes from the same album (big Trevor Rabin fan) but we never got a chance to play it live.
    In a previous band in the early 90s, we worked up "Owner........" too.............but a couple of the guys could never do it right so it got dropped.
    "Changes" is an awesome tune....................the intro was written by Alan White....................nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I think it would be pretty cool to play that intro section of Heart of the Sunrise. That’ll get their attention!
    Indeed !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Our band is about to start working on "Round About". We do quite a bit of prog. Kansas, Rush, Floyd. We are starting to build quite a following, also. I think some people miss the old stuff.
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.

User Info Menu

Which song (s) - All good people, Roundabout
    Why did you add it to the list - We liked the songs
    Why did you drop it - We didn't
    Did it work -- did the band do it justice - Not sure what you mean by did it work. If you mean did people dance , we didn't care. Sometime you have to play for yourselves. Yes we played both quite well
    Any other prog material - Rush, ELP ,UK

User Info Menu

I played in a band years ago that played some Prog ... a lot of King Crimson, YYZ by Rush, etc but no Yes. We were known for the off the wall stuff, we developed a local following, and didn't find it tough to get gigs in college hangouts. But that was then.

In my area we have a handful of venues that showcase Prog bands, for example Dweezil Zappa and some local tribute bands.

Doubt I could still play the stuff today lol ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    Which song (s) - All good people, Roundabout
    Why did you add it to the list - We liked the songs
    Why did you drop it - We didn't
    Did it work -- did the band do it justice - Not sure what you mean by did it work. If you mean did people dance , we didn't care. Sometime you have to play for yourselves. Yes we played both quite well
    Any other prog material - Rush, ELP ,UK
    I was hoping you might chime in on this one.
    We are at the point that we want to play a few for ourselves but also want to be careful not to disrupt our "bar-gig reputation".
    I believe we can do both and maintain the good danceable material we always do (AKA...............sell drinks !)

We are currently working on THE BIG MEDLEY (Dream Theater) and DANCING MADLY BACKWARDS (Captain Beyond).
    The Yes song we want to work up is AND YOU AND I.
    Originally, my idea was to put it in a medley with other songs and begin at the final four minutes (Teacher, Preacher).
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

I love prog, and I would love to play some at gigs, but I know it wouldn't go over well with our crowd. The bands that do prog around here are the ones that are well established with huge followings.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    Did it work -Not sure what you mean by did it work. If you mean did people dance , we didn't care. Sometime you have to play for yourselves.
    Amen brother

User Info Menu

My last band never played anything by Yes, but we did a splendid, note-for-note rendition of Kansas's "Carry On." That's not an easy song to play, and it's impossible to dance to. So our audiences never danced to it, but I quickly noticed that they actually listened with great attention. And it never failed to get a rousing applause.

I think that audiences enjoy hearing a popular progressive song when it's appropriately placed in the song list - ie, not when they are already worked up and ready to dance and party. At that point, anything that induces them to leave the dance floor will not go over well.

Otherwise . . . .

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Prog rock is fun to play but you need that dedicated prog audience. I like the old King Crimson stuff but no one else I know likes it.

It's funny watching what audiences respond to. Achy Breaky Heart was always a crowd fave ...

Earache My Eye used to send the crowd back to their chairs but we loved playing it.