View Poll Results: Should I inform bar owner of my absence or not?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tell the bar owner you wont be playing, leaving out details. Just say something came up/personal etc

5 38.46%
  • Tell owner you quit due to band related drama and wont be playing.

2 15.38%
  • Leave it alone and do not talk to the owner at all

6 46.15%

Thread: Quit the band before gig dilemma Poll

User Info Menu

Default Quit the band before gig dilemma Poll

I got a gig last week at a local biker bar for bike week here in Laconia, I then had it out with my lead guitarist for the last time during Monday's rehersal and I walked out and quit. They just got a sub to sit in for the gig next wed, and now I am wondering if the right thing to do is call the bar owner I talked to and tell him that I wont be playing (sparing the details) or should I just let it go? Of course if I do tell him I will let him know that they have a competent fill in. I do not want to jeopardize their gig by any means
    Last edited by MDK; 06-06-2018 at 08:09 AM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Quit the band before gig dilemma Poll

I voted the first choice -- you got the gig and the bar-owner should know you won't be there.
    No need to drag in the personal disagreements.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

IMO though unless you know the bar owner personally and he hired you more than the band because he specifically loves your drumming... I would leave it alone and just let the band try to play without you. If they drown the drown. No need to more or less sabotage the band out of a gig if they think the can cover it without you. Let them fail on their own and learn the hard way.

I will say though that one bar we use to play at stopped hiring my old band after they found out I quit.
    The owner was a drummer and he loved chatting drums with me and watching etc.

User Info Menu

I went with 2

It's the most truthful. To say "something came up" implies that you'll be appearing with this band in future gigs. One of the other players is likely going to mention it any how.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I would probably call the owner, if you’re the one that booked the gig and had contact with him. Tell him you’re no longer with the band, but, give him the contact name of whoever took over the bookings. Then, make sure they contact him to confirm the gig. Even better, show up in person with whoever is handling the band now and introduce him to the owner. That way if it goes south, you’ll be in the clear.

When I book a gig, I consider it a personal business deal. I tell my band mates that gigs are verbal contracts that I’m personally accountable to. If my band has to cancel, I always have another band lined up to take our place and offer it to the venue. I never want an internal band problem to become a bar owner’s problem. The last time we canceled, I paid the owner $100 out of my own pocket because the fill in band I found wanted $100 more than I had booked it for. It sounds extreme...but it was money well spent. It set me apart from all the other bands he deals with, and it showed him I was a man of my word and of principal. He will remember that. Guaranteed. I could probably walk in his venue with Chickens playing kazoos, and he’d give me a booking, LOL.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I voted for the first choice. Don't know all the details but that's usually the safest way to go. If the owner likes and respects you as a person, he will likely book your next band ...

User Info Menu

I went with # 2 simply because the bar owner is going to ask why so might as well be up front with him.

So, I'm with kay-gee on this, and also, like Brian, I/we took our bookings very seriously.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I would probably call the owner, if you’re the one that booked the gig and had contact with him. Tell him you’re no longer with the band, but, give him the contact name of whoever took over the bookings. Then, make sure they contact him to confirm the gig. Even better, show up in person with whoever is handling the band now and introduce him to the owner. That way if it goes south, you’ll be in the clear.

When I book a gig, I consider it a personal business deal. I tell my band mates that gigs are verbal contracts that I’m personally accountable to. If my band has to cancel, I always have another band lined up to take our place and offer it to the venue. I never want an internal band problem to become a bar owner’s problem. The last time we canceled, I paid the owner $100 out of my own pocket because the fill in band I found wanted $100 more than I had booked it for. It sounds extreme...but it was money well spent. It set me apart from all the other bands he deals with, and it showed him I was a man of my word and of principal. He will remember that. Guaranteed. I could probably walk in his venue with Chickens playing kazoos, and he’d give me a booking, LOL.
    I don't know, probably go w/2 . I'd really like to see ' N2Blues and the chicken kazoos'!
    Last edited by drummerMD; 06-07-2018 at 03:45 AM.

User Info Menu

Can't go with any of those choices.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Can't go with any of those choices.
    Why not?
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Why not?
    Not enough info and probably not the right option available. Are you planning on continuing to gig locally? If so, will you be doing the booking for those acts? Do you have a relationship with that particular venue owner? Do you have a reputation to protect as one that books bands in your area? The right answer depends on the answers to those a probably a few more questions.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Not enough info and probably not the right option available. Are you planning on continuing to gig locally? If so, will you be doing the booking for those acts? Do you have a relationship with that particular venue owner? Do you have a reputation to protect as one that books bands in your area? The right answer depends on the answers to those a probably a few more questions.
    I am planning on gigging locally, and I plan on doing some of the booking but hopefully not all of it. I do know this guy somewhat but not as a musician (have never played there). I am not even sure he has put my face to the drummer of the band yet as we just talked on the phone.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

I went with #2 and really did not have to. I walked up to him Sunday and said hey Scott you remember me and he said you look very familiar so I told him I am the drummer with the band for wed and that I am no longer with them and they have a more than capable replacement. He looked a little disappointed (rolled his eyes) but not mad. He said he had a band just not even show up last night (1st sat. night of bike week) and was having a rough few days with bands. I reassured him the band would be there on time. I really hope they dont screw it up. Lead Guitar player is the only one I am worried about, he goes on and on with solo's, walks into the crowd with guitar behind his head, (actually hit a friend of mine's wife a few months back with it) sometimes we have to skip a song or 3 entirely that set because he can't remember the intro, and he has a hard time informing the rest of us when to end the song and ends them differently just about everytime, which is a big pet peeve of mine.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

I went with #2 and really did not have to. I walked up to him Sunday and said hey Scott you remember me and he said you look very familiar so I told him I am the drummer with the band for wed and that I am no longer with them and they have a more than capable replacement. He looked a little disappointed (rolled his eyes) but not mad. He said he had a band just not even show up last night (1st sat. night of bike week) and was having a rough few days with bands. I reassured him the band would be there on time. I really hope they dont screw it up. Lead Guitar player is the only one I am worried about, he goes on and on with solo's, walks into the crowd with guitar behind his head, (actually hit a friend of mine's wife a few months back with it) sometimes we have to skip a song or 3 entirely that set because he can't remember the intro, and he has a hard time informing the rest of us when to end the song and ends them differently just about everytime, which is a big pet peeve of mine.

I would have laughed so hard seeing that!

User Info Menu

I think you did the smart thing. “C.Y.A.”! If the band DOESNT show, at least they can’t throw YOU under the bus as an excuse. Maybe most of them wouldn’t do that...but what about the guitar player that you had differences with? He sounds like he always puts himself first. Let’s say they decided to back out at the last minute...and he knows YOU booked the gig...and he suspects you may be trying to book new gigs with a new band in the near future...What is he capable of telling the bar owner?

At least now, if he try’s anything funny, the bar owner can say, “I was told days ago you had a good replacement drummer lined up. What’s the problem?”.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Lead Guitar player is the only one I am worried about, he goes on and on with solo's, walks into the crowd with guitar behind his head, (actually hit a friend of mine's wife a few months back with it) sometimes we have to skip a song or 3 entirely that set because he can't remember the intro, and he has a hard time informing the rest of us when to end the song and ends them differently just about everytime, which is a big pet peeve of mine.
    OMG -- a super-stud that has a difficult time with the beginnings and endings of songs...................good thing he isn't an airline pilot.
    I hate guys like that; I'd buy him a new mirror and walk out.
    You CLEARLY made a good choice.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

I'm late to the thread.

My initial thought was - stay out of it, say nothing.
    But - I do bookings, too, and I realized - if I did the booking, I'd want to have a quick word with the owner to let them know that I'm no longer involved.
    I would want to protect my reputation. An owner could draw a wrong conclusion and think I bailed on a commitment.

Ya done good.

User Info Menu

Hey guys one more question, So with all that has happened I played a one set gig with my other band last weekend (filling in for a start up band that did not have enough music ready to complete a show) and the guitar player that caused all this showed up? I guess he is trying to recruit my current bass player as I think the old one is leaving as well. LOL,

Anyway it was a little awkward but I walked up to him said hi and shook his hand. That was that, I am now thinking about asking them for a gig that I got when with them but not sure if thats good etiquette? The gig is at a campground at the end of July. I am the only one who has talked to the scheduler. I was thinking of saying, If you guys are good with it can I have the July 28th gig for my other band? I did get it for Jaycee and it is yours if you still want to keep it, but if not I would like to have it.

What do you think?
    Last edited by MDK; 06-20-2018 at 08:42 AM.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Its your gig but you still have to tolerate that guitarist...................
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Its your gig but you still have to tolerate that guitarist...................
    NO NO sorry I see that I wrote that all wrong. I will change it. I meant to say I am going to ask if I can have the gig for my other band. I do not want to play it with this guy?
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

I think I’d just contact the guy you booked the gig with. Tell him you have a new band...and as far as you know, the old band is still planning on playing the gig and you’re not looking to steal anything from them.... However, if they back out, cancel, or he ever needs another band for future events, give you a call.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

^^^^^^^^^^ I agree 100%

"Etiquette" It's a nice word that, in reality, means that I'll shove a drumstick up your butt 1st chance I get.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS