Thread: 6/6/44 74 years ago D-Day

User Info Menu

Default 6/6/44 74 years ago D-Day

The single most important day in the 20th Century.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Default Re: 6/6/44 74 years ago D-Day

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    The single most important day in the 20th Century.
    Amen to that !

I recently watched a bio-type movie on Churchill -- I had no idea he was so opposed to the Normandy invasion.
    Apparently, he had a previous bad experience with the same type of aggression.
    This bio-doc also made Eisenhower look like a bad a$$ !!!
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I’m big into Veterans Day, Memorial Day, July 4th....but D-Day seems to stir my emotions more than all the others. I agree; it was probably THE most significant event in modern history. Such a daunting undertaking, with more to lose than most people comprehend. The ultimate stand for humanity.

Not to take anything away from Veterans of other conflicts, but it truly was our greatest generation. Not just our military, but our civilian society as a whole...as well as the European military and civilians who faced true evil and endured the torment of WWII. Tough as nails.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Operation Overlord. The beginning to the end of the war. Yes a very important day. Everyone should know about it. I researched it in highschool and I reached out to a few legions to ask about it. The US took beaches Utah and Omaha, Canada took Juno, and the British took Gold and Sword. I remember reading something about Eisenhower delaying the attack because of the weather, catching the Germans off guard. They even placed inflatable tanks and props to guide their attention elsewhere.

Many were lost. I can’t even imagine the landing craft doors opening. Nowhere to hide from the army of MG 42’s on the hill. I’m eternally grateful for their service.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

We fought a 2 front war ( National War College 101: DO NOT FIGHT A 2 FRONT WAR) and we kicked a$$, took some names, and I became a "Baby Boomer".
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS