Thread: A Trip Down My Memory Lane of Drumming

User Info Menu

Default A Trip Down My Memory Lane of Drumming

Last weekend I played what very well could be my last public gig - a class reunion for the class of 1968. Not my class, but a number of people there that I know well. Also a chance to reunite with a couple of members from my very first band from 1968. Odd that around the same time I ran across some pictures of various gigs from years past, and a picture of the Christmas night that my parents presented me with my very first drum set - around 1964. Thought I would share some of those pics here.

This is my first drum set - 1964 WMP Apollos new in the big box! I was in heaven that night. My parents . . . not so much.
    Christmas 1966 (2).jpg

This is my first band: Chrome Blue. By this time I'd managed to pick up a matching floor tom and a couple of Zildjian A cymbals. We were so poor that we had to wear short, hi-water pants.
    First Drum Set, First Band 006.jpg

Many years and a number of bands down the road, I'd bought a set of Yamaha Recording Customs and started playing with first-class musicians in a semi-pro setting - four nights a week in a stinky redneck beer joint along with working full time in a music store. I was constantly exhausted but having great fun.
    Band Back Forty 001.jpg

Even had a chance to open the RiverFest performance of Mary Chapin Carpenter. Cool lady.
    Band Mary Chapin Carpenter 001.jpg

The last two pics are of my last band. Excellent, pro-level musicians with a good, untypical play list. By this time I'd settled on my current WMP Pacific CX Maple Six-Piece kit. I love the kit, so it will be my last.

Wanted to post more, but it looks like five photos is all I'm allowed in one post. Thanks for looking.

GeeDeeEmm
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Default Re: A Trip Down My Memory Lane of Drumming

Very cool! Thanks for sharing the trip down memory lane.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

what a ride! nice pics!
    Cut it large and kick it into place!

User Info Menu

so awesome to have all those photos still!

User Info Menu

Wow loved the picture of your first kit. Very cool!

User Info Menu

Very cool pics!

User Info Menu

Thanks for your comments, guys! I wish I had pictures of all the bands I've been in, but taking pics just doesn't seem a priority at the time you are actually playing. It's only years later that I get to thinking about past bands and friends - then I wish I had taken more!

Just a lesson for all of us - take those pictures and make those recordings while you're actually playing. Once it's too late, it's too late.

GeeDeeEmm

Band Performance and Christmas 2017 002.jpg