Thread: Gretsch Catalina bop

User Info Menu

Wink Gretsch Catalina bop

I have been drumming for 48 years and have purchased new kits from Norma,Rogers, Yamaha, Ludwig, Pearl and Gretsch Renown. And several used sets. I wanted a light weight bop set and decided on the Gretsch Catalina Bop. Upon receiveing the set through an online dealer I attempted to put the tension rods in the kick lugs they were very tight and one broke. I also noticed the claws were not cast but made of cheap stamped thin metal. The grain on the inside of 8x12 was crooked. There was a chip in the bass drum. This is absolutely the worst drums I have encountered. Ican't believe Gretsch would allow this set to leave the factory. I sent the drums back for a refund and the dealer stated I could not receive a full refund as he could not sell the set as new because he claimed I used the drums. I did not use the drums as I could not tune the bass drum. Plus I had to pay shipping and restocking fee. I wonder if this could have been a fake Gretsch drum set.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gretsch Catalina bop

Have you contacted Gretsch about this?!

User Info Menu

I guess that's the way I should since the dealer represents Gretsch. I'll try, but I doubt Gretsch would do anything as I didn't take pictures of the poor works a ship and cheap parts. And it's just not a big thing for a large company. I think I'll try anyway.I'll have to find a new cat bop to see if ithere a resemblance. Thanks Spaz Aproved, sincerely, Don

User Info Menu

I still think you should call the company and let them know of the situation.
    They would want to know about bad customer service issues and product problems so they can also help improve for the future.
    Who knows, maybe they'll cut you a nice deal on a kit direct from them!

User Info Menu

Gretsch drums is not very large company. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

So did you call Gretsch? I find it hard to believe they would not help you out. And whoever you bought it from I would never deal with again.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

> I wonder if this could have been a fake Gretsch drum set.
    Nope.

I was at the Guitar center in Santa Clara and played one of the Gretsch Catalina demo sets and noticed the bass drum really sucked.

The drum guy pointed out that it was sitting in the warehouse and he brought it out only to discover the bass drum was out of round.

Poor QA from the factory.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes