Thread: Hawaiian Vacation

User Info Menu

Default Hawaiian Vacation

Hi guys, we arrived in Hawaii on Friday. It took a few hours to adjust to the time change 3 hours behind west coast time 6 behind east coast.

Yesterday we went to the Polynesian Cultural Center for an all day tour and evening luau. Wow what a great day, I learned so much about Polynesian culture.

Besides the pretty hula dancers one of the highlights was the drums. One of the shows focused on them. They're made mostly from Mahogony and Rosewood. There is so much more I would've liked to know [heads, sticks etc] but they were mainly explaining rhythms.

These drums truly are handmade. Minimal machinery involved in a true classic Polynesian drum.

Quick vid here that I found off yt. Would be cool to see one made from beginning to end.

RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Default Re: Hawaiian Vacation

RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Very cool!
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Wow!!

all the best...

User Info Menu

My dad had some hawaiian records that I remember growing up. They were like a box set of LP's, it's relaxing music to listen to with the steel guitars. There were always a couple ukulele's around the house too.. miss those days.. my dad n brother playing the uke's

Today we're going to a botanical garden and Dole pineapple plantation. Aloha....
    Last edited by slinky; 06-25-2018 at 01:14 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

You gonna visit the lava resort??

User Info Menu

I'm told when I was 5 I went to Hawaii... but I don't remember any of it really.

I'd love to go back someday!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Today we're going to a botanical garden and Dole pineapple plantation. Aloha....
    I've been to Hawaii twice.................until you go to Dole, you just think you have tasted pineapple..................OMG !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

My 2nd daughter was conceived on Hawaii during a R&R in April 1969. So much for sightseeing!!!
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    You gonna visit the lava resort??
    Haha no lava ... we did hike up Diamondhead this morning which was ok but very cramped. Only 1 way up and 1 way down on a very narrow unpaved trail all the way. Challenging when there's a 1000 other people doing the same thing. Good thing it was only $1 to get in.

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I'm told when I was 5 I went to Hawaii... but I don't remember any of it really.
    I'd love to go back someday!
    Yeah man go back someday! This is my second time and much better than the first.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I've been to Hawaii twice.................until you go to Dole, you just think you have tasted pineapple..................OMG !
    We went there on the way back from the waterfall botanical garden. After all that walking we were just going to take the train ride around the grounds but it was not running [mechanical problems] so we didn't stay too long. Had the pineapple whip cone which was pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    My 2nd daughter was conceived on Hawaii during a R&R in April 1969. So much for sightseeing!!!
    Nice Rick, not many of us can say that!

After Diamondhead we went on a boat tour to watch dolphins, do some snorkeling and watch the sunset. Saw a lot of the dolphins jump out of the water and a few jumping out and spinning.

The snorkeling was great. Schools of different fish and 1 sea turtle swam around right next to me.

The sunset topped the whole evening off. Got some nice pics. Will try and post a few later.

Aloha Everybody!
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN