Thread: Have a few questions

User Info Menu

Default Have a few questions

Ok, where to start? I'm Kyle and I am new to this forum, I am pretty new drumming (just bought my first set 2 months ago) but not music (been playing bass and guitar for 8 years....self-taught). I own a Mapex 7 piece with paiste 14'' hi hat, 18'' crash ride, zildjian (sp?) x series crash 17'' and a x series splash 10'' (2 floor toms (not sure of the size)). Well to start off I have a decent amount of questions. I have a snare buzzing and I am going to play with the tuning tomorrow before I go to work (overnight shift this week...damn) but it buzzes all the time....with the bass, bass drum, toms and guitar lows. Any suggestions? The other question is that my bass drums I cant seem to get them to sound the exact same and I have tried and tried but never can get it on the sweet spot....any suggestions? Finally My higher floor tom I can't get it to sound right with my 3 other toms (I can't get a nice bassy punch/thump to it like my other floor tom).....once again, any suggestions? Like the guitar and bass I am trying to teach myself how to play (and doing a good jobs at it....not to brag but I'm not novice other than the fact that I don't know much about the tuning and frequencies.....etc). Oh yeah and whats the deal with putting a sound hole in the bass drum and putting a piece of foam in it? If anyone can reply that'd be awsome

-Kyle

User Info Menu

A seven piece kit, for a beginner, two bass drums, 2 up 2 down set up. I want your job.

For the snare: Make the wires tighter, you know how you turn the snares on and off there should be a knob there, turn it and make the wires tighter.

For the bass drums: Tune them both as tight as possible no one is really going to notice that there is a difference unless it's a huge difference and if there is they aren't tight enough.

For the floor tom: If you say that you want it as punchy as your lower FT, tune the bottom head lower, just a little bit though. And tune the top head just a little higher though if they are both tuned exactly the same you'll want to change them a little bit because both being tuned the same makes rings like crazy however if you tune one of the head sifferently the ringing will stop. Hope that helps.

As for the other bass drum questions: The sound hole is so you can record the bass drum better, and if you have a hole you'll get less/ more rebound I don't remember which (I haven't got one.) and the reason we put pillows/ foam in there is to stop the bass drum ringing, say your playing both your bass drums really fast, and they have no pillow in there the sounds is not going to breathe when it needs to and will sound sloppy, putting a pillow in there will stop some of the need to breathe and make it easier to play faster without the bass drum sounding horrible.

User Info Menu

thank you but those questions bring on more questions....I have tried to tighten the snare wires but it still rings slightly. for the bass drum I dont want it to sound higher I just want it to sound even......when I play fast it is hard for others to tell the difference but when I play slow the left bass drum has more of a snap and the right one has more of a thump (I have played around with tuning so much but it is never perfect.....ive gotten it close to perfect but I don't know if I should get it close because I think I maybe the only one that realizes it). I will try to tune my other floor tom like that......now just to get something straight.....the batterhead is the one that I "batter" on and the other head is the ressomething head? And what is rebound? Sorry for my ignorance I was never that great at music terminology just playing music. Oh and I don't think you want my job.....right now it is the busy season so I am working 12-16 hours a day 5-6 days a week and 1-2 of those 5-6 days is overnight....cooking may not sound hard but believe me it can be hell. Thank roger.

User Info Menu

12-16 hours a day, 5-6 days a week O_O That's not worth the money.

Rebound is basically you hit the head with the pedal, the skin moves slightly on the bass, and your pedal doesn't come backwards, yes? If you tighten up the bass drum and but a pillow in there the beater will come back and the bass drum skin won't move anywhere near close to just a little.