Thread: "Hot" Gig

User Info Menu

Default "Hot" Gig

We have a private gig this evening: a wealthy local dude has hired us for a pool party at his house (more like his estate) to get an early start on a 4th of July celebration.
    We play from 5:30 until 8:30 and the fireworks begin at 9PM...…………..I'm told this guy spends thousands on his fireworks displays.

Should be fun...………………..the big downside is the forecast indicates a heat index of 105...…………….more water !

No gripes here -- I love good private party gigs -- good pay and home before midnight.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: "Hot" Gig

No argument here.

We played quite a few over the years. People with money, in that kind of situation, are usually very easy to deal with. They will ask what you want for X amount of playing, you say that we get $XXXX, they say OK, I'll write you a check. No muss, no fuss, and, in my experience, they were always a lot of fun.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Yep, those are great gigs. We have one on July 7th. We played for this guy last year. He spends $10,000 on fireworks. Professionally done. Top shelf booze and food. We’re done by 10 and it’s only 10 minutes from my house. Private party gigs for rich dudes are the bestest.

User Info Menu

We did 1 in the Tempe area around 2003. Rolled in on Friday and set up. The gig was Saturday night for his daughter's 21st birthday. Put us up in a hotel (can't remember the name) pool on the roof (if I remember right), rented us a car saying, with a laugh, " can't have you pulling up in a van, there's going to be Ferrari's here".

It was a great gig that must have cost him $40-50K by the time it was done.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

We have a private party gig in September. Not anyone rich, they’re all farmers, but they’re fantastic people. We set up in their machine shed and all their friends and neighbors come over. They’ll party and dance until the sun comes up. Tables full of home-made food, BBQ pork, home made wines, moonshine, home brewed beer....everyone treats you like family. If you drink too much or get to tired, you crash on their living room couch and spend the night.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

MOONSHINE, the nectar of the totally drunk. I got loaded on 1/2 a glass of that liquid lightning. You take a sip and chase it with a gallon of water or you will burst into flame.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Last one I played was for a towing company owner. It was also hot, but he had a couple of refigerated trailers opened up with huge industrial fans blowing cool air towards/on us. We got paid well, had all the BBQ we could eat, drinks we could drink, and a great crowd.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

The weather man got close...……………...heat index was 106...…………..lead singer got too hot for a little while and had to take a break and cool off.
    Except for the brutal heat, it was a great party.
    One of those big food trucks pulls in about 6PM and pretty soon you were into all the fresh fried shrimp you could eat.

We were trying out some new PA gear and it was really a nice surprise -- better than expected.
    Singer forgot the sub-mix board for the drums so we simply mic'd the bass drum and used two condenser mics overhead -- I was surprised it worked out OK.

The guy that hired us has about 20 acres and his house was 7,000 sq. ft. under roof, heated and cooled.
    Giant pool in back with boards, slides and big spraying water features...……………...beautiful.
    We were set up out by the pool and he had rented five of those huge fans with dry-ice that helps cool everyone...………….good job.
    We were still very hot but it was tolerable...………..I drank 4 bottles of water, 2 gatoraid, and two light beers and did not pee one time.

BTW...........................I'd hate to pay the property taxes on that crib.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I remember back in the '80's when I had my Vette. I was at Kennedy Airport and a few people were looking at it. 1 guy said to me that he thought about getting 1 and asked me what the gas mileage was. I told him (back in my smarta$$ days) that if you have to ask what the gas mileage is, you can't afford it.

I would guess that applies to those homeowners as well.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Glad it went well for you guys. Stay hydrated!
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Sounds like you had a blast Ricardo, I played one yesterday in NH and man the humidity was like wearing a warm wet shirt. We played from 2-6 and I was very hung over from Steely Dan and Doobie brothers concert the night before (K. Carlock is abeast BTW WOW). I barely made it to 6pm and then the host came up and asked us to play 1 more hr for another $100 and before I could say anything 3 other members shouted out yes..Ughh I got up and jumped in the pool, then with new life played the last hour...LOL We ended up donating the last hour as it was a party for her son returning from the Marines.
    Last edited by MDK; 07-15-2018 at 07:43 AM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Wow, amazing how you guys can withstand the heat and humidity to play a gig. Now that is commitment.