Thread: Pacific Drums Concept Bop muffling pillows

User Info Menu

Default Pacific Drums Concept Bop muffling pillows

Hi, I’ve got a new PDP Bop kit. Included with the kit are 2 muffling pillows. They seem to be rather large for an 18” bass drum. Has anyone with this kit used these pillows? If so, what is your opinion of the sound with the muffling. I’d planed on using an Aquarian resonant head with a 4” hole and was considering using it with no muffling or minor muffling. Please advise me of your opinion. I work with a 3 pc. band that plays R&R, R&B oldies from the 50’s - 80’s. And a bit of swing. Thank you.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Pacific Drums Concept Bop muffling pillows

I dont have the kit you have, but I have a Mapex Armory with no muffling other than the muffle ring for the Evans EMAD heads I'm using.

In my opinion if you tune low like I like to, you dont need muffling other than the ring that comes with the heads.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

I've got a PDP kit 22" kick drum , came with pillows. I don't use them. I had a Sonor bop kit with an 18" kick didn't muffle that either. I use Evans EQ3 heads on my kicks , the head has a control ring on it and that is all the muffling I use. Actually every drum on my kit is wide open , no muffling at all. Let em sing.

User Info Menu

This is why I actually had my own pillows made.

Did they give you the newer half moon ones? I think they work great. I just don't like sticking them to the drum.

User Info Menu

Can't get into ringing bass drums...Toms yes, but bass drums no. Tried it but they just beg for some kind of muffling.

all the best...