Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Underappreciated drummers

User Info Menu

Default Underappreciated drummers

I'm sure everybody has their favorite who you feel doesn't get the love they should.
    I'm gonna go with two guys. the first is Lee Kerslake of Uriah Heep and of course Bizzard of Oz band. I really feel like he got done really dirty by Ozzy and Sharon and not to knock Tommy Aldridge but that's Lee Kerslake on those first 2 albums. and I just don't feel he get's the recognition that he should. I really dig things he would play like on "Over the mountain" the two handed hi hat groove on "Crazy train "is cool too.

The next I'm gonna say Alex Van Halen. I just feel like he was always in his brother's shadow but he played an integral part to their sound no doubt. I have often wondered what's the deal with those bassdrum extensions he would use as well kind of funny.

I guess a third guy who really isn't too under appreciated but just as solid as rock meter wise would be Frank Beard. A young drummer can learn a lot from Frank I really feel.
    Last edited by wired; 03-26-2015 at 10:31 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Underappreciated drummers

Great thread! I nominate Steve Upton. He was the drummer for a British group in the early seventies called Wishbone Ash. Their first three LPs were excellent and his drumming was so original and perfect for the music. He also had some amazing chops. After those first three LPs, the band went through various personnel changes and went from mediocre to disappointing to embarrassing. But, for those first three albums alone, Steve Upton deserves to be recognized.

User Info Menu

Cool I had heard of them but never gave them a listen, so I'm checking out the first album and while the vocals are different it kind of reminds me of Thin Lizzy a lil bit with the twin guitars. I like it classic rock shuffles I think I hear a 6/8 shuffle on this one song kind of like Manic depression sort of. but funky too. great drumming like you said.

Another band that I felt was way under appreciated would be Be Bop deluxe. Songs like "Sleep that burns" would be million dollar songs if somebody like Bowie had written it.
    Last edited by wired; 03-26-2015 at 02:45 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wired View Post
    The next I'm gonna say Alex Van Halen. I just feel like he was always in his brother shadow but he played an integral part to their sound no doubt. I have often wondered what's the deal with those bassdrum extensions he would use as well kind of funny.

I guess a third guy who really isn't too under appreciated but just as solid as rock meter wise would be Frank Beard. A young drummer can learn a lot from Frank I really feel.
    I saw AVH do a solo at a live show that was remarkably good.
    Solid player...........as far as the silly drums, there was a lot of silliness at the van Halen shows.

Did you know Frank Beard graduated from Irving High School ?

As far as underappreciated.............

I think Michael Giles on the "Court of the Crimson King" is overlooked.

And I've recently been digging Kenny Aronoff on Mellencamp and Fogerty stuff........so subtle yet right on the mark.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Cool I had heard of them but never gave them a listen, so I'm checking out the first album and while the vocals are different it kind of reminds me of Thin Lizzy a lil bit with the twin guitars. I like it classic rock shuffles I think I hear a 6/8 shuffle on this one song kind of like Manic depression sort of. but funky too. great drumming like you said.

Another band that I felt was way under appreciated would be Be Bop deluxe. Songs like "Sleep that burns" would be million dollar songs if somebody like Bowie had written it.
    Absolutely - Simon Fox in BeBop Deluxe! I have all their albums and that stuff was anything but straight-forward - the drumming was great. Good call!

User Info Menu

Jimmy Fox of the James Gang and Mickey Waller with Jeff Beck and early Rod Stewart.

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

Thought of another - Ed Cassidy from the group Spirit. He always played the right thing for the song.

User Info Menu

Frankie Banali.

User Info Menu

Pat Torpey of Mr. Big. Fantastic drummer
    Yamaha Stage Custom 6 pc
    Assorted Zildjian
    Gibraltar hardware
    Zildjian laminate sticks
    LOTS of snares
    AQUARIAN heads

User Info Menu

I'm sure everybody has their favorite who you feel doesn't get the love they should.
    I'm gonna go with two guys. the first is Lee Kerslake of Uriah Heep and of course Bizzard of Oz band. I really feel like he got done really dirty by Ozzy and Sharon and not to knock Tommy Aldridge but that's Lee Kerslake on those first 2 albums. and I just don't feel he get's the recognition that he should. I really dig things he would play like on "Over the mountain" the two handed hi hat groove on "Crazy train "is cool too.

The next I'm gonna say Alex Van Halen. I just feel like he was always in his brother shadow but he played an integral part to their sound no doubt. I have often wondered what's the deal with those bassdrum extensions he would use as well kind of funny.

Wow! I would have to agree with Lee Kerslake since I knew nothing about that. lol seriously, I thought Aldridge played on those records. Learn something new everyday I guess...

I remember buying the cassette of Diary Of A Madman. Everything about it is Diary Of A Madman except when you play it it's Blizzard Of Ozz lol true story
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Phil Rudd.

I've always liked him.

User Info Menu

Sean Kinney

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

John Densmore of the Doors. I seem to notice something new about his drumming every time I listen to the doors who btw I never really much cared for but since getting into drumming have grown to really appreciate. He always seemed to pick the perfect fill or beat for a particular section.

It is especially noticeable in some of the live performances were Jim was totally out of it and no one knew what the heck he was doing, some songs you can actually hear the other members stop playing but John changes the beat a lil or throws in a 4 measure fill and gets them right back on track. You cannot teach that IMO.
    Last edited by MDK; 03-26-2015 at 07:09 PM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Wow! I would have to agree with Lee Kerslake since I knew nothing about that. lol seriously, I thought Aldridge played on those records. Learn something new everyday I guess...
    He talks about it in this interview.
    http://www.bobdaisley.com/interview/fuse-lee-kerslake

If you remember Blizzard was the first album and Dairy the second. The band was originally was going to be just "Blizzard of Oz" not just the Ozzy Osbourne band from what I heard. Lee didn't just do the drum parts either put help write the songs and lyrics.
    But then after Bob and Lee were fired they gave credit to Rudy and Tommy and put them on the picture sleeve. They took Ozzy/Sharon to court over it royalty's ect.. but I think it got dismissed. Big money pushing little people out of the way I guess but yeah it was dirty..really dirty!
    Ozzy even brought Bob Daisley back to help write and record Bark at the moon. I'm not sure but I think the only album Tommy Aldridge recorded with Ozzy is Bark at the moon.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Love the Doors great band You're right about John Densmore. I love music that has depth it just keeps giving and giving ya know.Robby Krieger is certainly under appreciated as well.Phil Rudd heck of a drummer. the murder for hire stuff kind of scares me though lol..
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    two more drummers I really like that don't get the credit they should I guess would be Kirk Arrington of metal church.
    and Clive Burr of Maiden R.I.P
    Last edited by wired; 03-26-2015 at 10:21 PM.

User Info Menu

There were a lot of really skilled players in the 80's that were dismissed as just glam drummers.
    Last edited by Northern Redneck; 03-26-2015 at 10:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    John Densmore of the Doors. I seem to notice something new about his drumming every time I listen to the doors who btw I never really much cared for but since getting into drumming have grown to really appreciate. He always seemed to pick the perfect fill or beat for a particular section.

It is especially noticeable in some of the live performances were Jim was totally out of it and no one knew what the heck he was doing, some songs you can actually hear the other members stop playing but John changes the beat a lil or throws in a 4 measure fill and gets them right back on track. You cannot teach that IMO.
    This was the first drummer that I thought of. Jim kinda stole the limelight, but his rythums were what really made the songs IMO.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Tom Hunting from Exodus
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Leonard Haze : Not a flashy style, but a solid drummer. I guess I'm biased, as I'm a HUGE Y&T fan.
    Jimmy D"Anda : The BulletBoys were one of the more unique bands in the 90's. I liked them, and the drumming on some of the songs was really good.
    Mapex Drums / Ludwig Hardware / Sabian Cymbals / Tama Pedals & Hardware / Remo and Aquarian
    Heads /
    Vic Firth Sticks

User Info Menu

Totally agree on the Kerslake thing. He did an amazing job on those two albums. Iconic fills and double bass work. The intro to Over The Mountain is perfect. Tommy Aldridge is excellent, but Lee got shafted for sure as the original dude.

Barriemore Barlowe from the middle 70's Jethro Tull years is my vote for most under-rated drummer. His work with John Glass**** on bass (yes, that's his actual name) was so tight and precise, it blew my mind as a young man.The intro to Hunting Girl is enough to show the guy could really play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibDLLDOYfmY
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

I would have to go with Pete Thomas (Elvis Costello) I've always found him to be really imaginative with patterns while keeping it rock solid.

And my number two would be Bruce Gary (The Knack) really great, underrated drummer. I think the worst thing that could have happened for him was "My Sharona". I've always loved the sound of his drums too.

||Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without. ~Confucius||

Pearl Masters Custom - Emerald Mist with gold hardware 12/13/16/22

PDP LX - Cherry Fade
    8/10/12/14/16/22

Zildjian A Custom 16/18/20 1970's 14" New Beat hats
    Sabian 16" Ozone crash

Roland TD-3 and TD-10 A to E Kit.

User Info Menu

Stephen Perkins and Tim Alexander.
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

Craig McClune. Watch Please Forgive Me live on Letterman. The guy is a freak!

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WYOman View Post
    Leonard Haze : Not a flashy style, but a solid drummer. I guess I'm biased, as I'm a HUGE Y&T fan.
    Jimmy D"Anda : The BulletBoys were one of the more unique bands in the 90's. I liked them, and the drumming on some of the songs was really good.
    Lenny had a great Bonham foot.
    Nothing wrong with his style.

Here's a Y&T story you might like:

Got invited to a party over at bass player Phil Kennemore's house in Hayward one night.

It's your usual debauched rock crowd until 5 guys that had just finished a gig at the Mabuhay Gardens show up.

Picture 5 Mr. Spocks' with a real bad drug and alcohol problem.

As it turns out one of the Mr Spocks' was cheating on another Mr Spock with the band manager.

A fistfight broke out on the front lawn along with a bottle of what appeared to be Safeway rum or vodka bottle being smashed across the noggin of the cheater.

I managed to just miss the Hayward police showing up to shut the place down.

Ah ,memories.
    Last edited by pgm554; 03-27-2015 at 04:28 PM.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

Larnell Lewis. I heard him on the most recent Snarky Puppy album and was completely blown away.

User Info Menu

Pick Withers--Dire Straits